+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Increasing Milk Supply - Motilium... does it work? or any other recommendations :)

I am having some trouble with my milk supply. I dont think DD is getting enough from me - she empties both sides and iv been having to top her up with formula. I was expressing after a feed to make sure I was empty and i would either get a few drops to 10ml max. Iv now been expressing when shes due for a feed, so that I can monitor how much she gets, I will normally express 50-100ml in total (from both sides). Ill get around 100ml in the mornings and it reduces through out the day. and once she has finished the feed ill normally top her up with 50 - 100 ml for formula. My health nurse said this is fine - but really id rather just bf and express for her (i dont have the $$$ to be spending on formula especially when i can get it from myself for free hehe)

I went to see a lactation consultant who recommended to take fenugreek to help the flow - but it hasnt increased my supply.

I think my supply is low because DD was prem, so I wasnt able to bf her straight away as I had to wait until she was bigger as she tired to easily when put on the breast. I was expressing Milk, for everyfeed and topping up with the bottle

So have to take DD for her 8week needles on friday and I was thinking of booking myself in aswell to get some Motilium or something else to help get my supply up. I know someone who is taking Motilium and says it works really well, so i thought id give that a try or if not see what the dr recommends.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I could do to get my supply up? I seen someone talking about some "Lactation Cookies" or something like that, but couldn't find the recipe

Thankyou

Sorry this was so long

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The way the pump and your dd work to get the milk out is different so your dd should be getting more than the 50-100 mls out

With my dd when she was about that age I'd express in the morning to get at least 50 mls of ebm than I'd top her up with that directly after her last night feed so it was a dream feed

Yes motilium does work. Dds pead perscribed it than gp carried it on. I started when dd was around 2 months old and I stopped at 12 months it can take up to 6 weeks to get a good supply increase. Id use all the supply boosting foods as well though, oats, brewers yeasts, fenugreek, flaxseed meal and lots of good fat foods like avacardo, tuna, salmon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (01-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    If you didnt want to get a prescription, Fenugreek from the health food store worked wonders for me . I also had a herbal tincture made up for me from a local herbalist especially for lactation. Tasted like crap but was awesome for my milk supply

Good luck

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Can I throw a spanner in the works and ask why you think your supply is low? I personally would be researching into symptoms of a low milk supply and maybe having a look at the hidden hindrances to a healthy milk supply sticky in the breastfeeding section IMO there is no point in medicating yourself if your counteracting it another way. Are you feeding on demand or offering if it's day time and it's been longer than 2-3 hours?

Also is bub happy and alert between feeds, gaining weight, and having wet and poopy nappies?

I noticed bub is 8 weeks, it's natural to feel like your supply may have dropped at this time as your body will stop producing excess milk.

I also def agree with the pump not beings good indicator of how much milk bubs is getting (and all that).

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (27-12-2011),proud-mum  (27-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second the breast feeding tea - I found it very effective; I could feel my supply increase after just a couple of cups of it.

I also agree that pumping isn't a good indication of how much your bubba has had; perhaps try weighing your little one before and after a feed - this can be a rough indication of how much they have had.

Good luck with it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Can I throw a spanner in the works and ask why you think your supply is low? I personally would be researching into symptoms of a low milk supply and maybe having a look at the hidden hindrances to a healthy milk supply sticky in the breastfeeding section IMO there is no point in medicating yourself if your counteracting it another way. Are you feeding on demand or offering if it's day time and it's been longer than 2-3 hours?

Also is bub happy and alert between feeds, gaining weight, and having wet and poopy nappies?

I noticed bub is 8 weeks, it's natural to feel like your supply may have dropped at this time as your body will stop producing excess milk.

I also def agree with the pump not beings good indicator of how much milk bubs is getting (and all that).
    I agree!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree the pump and EBM is not a good indication. Bub is so efficient they will pull more. My DD would drink and drink and drink but she would also comfort suck for hours if I let her! Your supply does level out around 8 weeks too. I found that as long as I increased BFing at times I felt DD wasn't getting enough, my supply increased to meet her demands. Someone else also suggested expressing first thing and using that as a top up for the night feed when your supply will naturally decrease (e.g. I did this about 6am then BF at 7am, expressed again at 9am and BF at 10am). Keep up a healthy diet (for you) and hopefully that will help too (as does relaxing). 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    Motillium worked well for me. When I started taking it I was pumping and BFing constantly - so I was doing what I could to encourage supply but it was motillium that kicked things off for me.

Don't feel bad about the top ups, you're doing your best to feed your baby . If trying motillium helps your confidence, go for it. Whatever works I say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was prescribed Motilium by my GP. I asked whether there was something natural I could take instead and she said 'No there isn't, sometimes nature needs a little help'. I've since read (on BH of course) that there are other ways to increase supply such as the tea and cookies and fenugreek. I also spoke to a LC who told me that the drug is only effective within the first few days of your milk coming in, so was left a little baffled as to why she prescribed in the first place. Some great suggestions from PP. Subscribing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes Motilium works - for me it was within days and still continues now 3mths later which is great. Whenever I stop I notice the difference straight away.

However I agree with PP, especially Thermolicious. Check out whether supply really is an issue first as expressing isn't a good indication.

The cookies do work but are also very addictive/fattening so be careful, lol! You can add the flaxseed and/or brewers yeast to other normal cooking for same effect. Eating oats and protein also works well. Good luck