+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default night waking

Hi, i have a 6month old ds who just recently has started waking through the night. Just wanting some thoughts on if i should feed him each time he wakes or should i just try to settle without a bottle although that seems like the easier option. I just don't want to start any bad habbits.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends if he is waking for a feed or out of habit. Always try to resettle first. If you know he is hungry then feed him but be careful he doesn't start waking out of habit ....like my DS. I know it's habitual waking coz DS wakes pretty much the same time each night.

You could try to offer bubs small amount of cool boiled water. That's what some of the mums do at mothers group. If bubs finishes the water, complains and wont nod off to sleep then that means bubs is hungry and requires a feed.

I tried the water thing myself. During his habitual wakings, he'll refuse the water (and demand a feed) UNLESS he is going through a growth spurt in which case he'll take the water and also demand a breastfeed AND bottle of milk thereafter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok I'll try that. It's really weird, I am certain he's waking out of habit these days. Some nights he can go 12-13 hrs without a feed and other nights it's more like every 3 hours. He's 6 months and has 2 solid meals a day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds like my DS - I was actually coming on to ask the same question - though he has never slept through the night (he is 5 months old).

He wakes every three hours and cries - I created the monster that he is, I fed him to sleep only because for a couple of months (2-4months) old it was the only way I could get him to sleep (at all - combination of teething and reflux) - he went from a fairly normal bubba to screaming for hours - and the frequent feeds didn't bother me when they were 4hours apart - but they gradually became 1.5hour between wakings... so I thought stuff it! I am only going to feed him when he seems hungry - he went a six hour stretch one night - so he gets a feed at 6pm then at 12am... but still 'wakes' and cries for 10mins (sometimes an hour) at 830-9 every night... I imagine this is habitual?

But I don't know how to break the habit - some nights he whinges and goes straight back to sleep and other night he whinges/eyes generally closed (doesn't cry) for an hour or more - and nothing I do makes it stop...

I'd love any suggestions. (Alimia sorry for stealing your thread)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lotheryn View Post
    That sounds like my DS - I was actually coming on to ask the same question - though he has never slept through the night (he is 5 months old).

He wakes every three hours and cries - I created the monster that he is, I fed him to sleep only because for a couple of months (2-4months) old it was the only way I could get him to sleep (at all - combination of teething and reflux) - he went from a fairly normal bubba to screaming for hours - and the frequent feeds didn't bother me when they were 4hours apart - but they gradually became 1.5hour between wakings... so I thought stuff it! I am only going to feed him when he seems hungry - he went a six hour stretch one night - so he gets a feed at 6pm then at 12am... but still 'wakes' and cries for 10mins (sometimes an hour) at 830-9 every night... I imagine this is habitual?

But I don't know how to break the habit - some nights he whinges and goes straight back to sleep and other night he whinges/eyes generally closed (doesn't cry) for an hour or more - and nothing I do makes it stop...

I'd love any suggestions. (Alimia sorry for stealing your thread)
    Hahah no problem, we need all the help we can get!!!