+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Toilet training help

My DS is 2 yrs and 4 months old. I have no idea how to start toilet training.How do I know when he is ready to start? How do I start?Thanks!P.S I was thinking now was an ok time due to the warmer weather starting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a DS the same age Singa and have been wondering this too. He shows no interest in the toilet or potty, so I don't know if he is ready.

I read a thread on here this morning that mentioned a 3 day potty training ebook, so I'm going to look into that and see what they say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've only TT a girl so don't know if it's the same but this is what worked for us:

Talk lots about going and needing to go
    Let him watch you and your OH go to the toilet and see how it's done (if you're comfortable with this)
    Take him shopping and let him choose some undies
    Talk to him about 'big boys' wearing undies and weeing/pooing in the toilet/potty
    Let him walk around outside wearing undies or no pants and if he has an accident, talk him through it.

I did the above for a while off and on until I felt she was ready and grasped the concept. I then picked a quiet weekend when we were both home and committed to it. I put her in undies, asked her if she needed to go regularly and if she had an accident I was gentle and kind. She had heaps of accidents on day 1, a couple on day 2, 1 on day 3 and that was it.

Good luck with it. Be patient and accept it won't happen instantly but it will happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I only have girls too, but I knew they were ready because of the cues I got from them such as:

being repulsed with a soiled nappy

Tugging at their nappy and trying to pull it off

showing interest when I went to the toilet

After that, I bought special 'big girl' undies or in your case 'big boy' and always toilet train in the summer/warmer months.

I also try and dress them in easy to pull up and down clothes during the day, so they can learn to pull theri undies down themselves.

Everytime they did a wee or poo in the potty or toilet we made a HUGE fuss of it, lot's of clapping and praise.

Any accidents were never met with scorn, only with encouragement to try again next time etc.

A sticker chart worked well with my first daughter, she loved to receive a sticker for everytime she went to the toilet and when she filled it up we bought her a special treat.

Good Luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have had six sons. TT can be tricky sometimes with boys. I usually hold off until they are close to 3 years old because then they just take to it like a duck to water! If they're indicating interest in trying to go to the toilet, taking their nappy off, wanting to be changed immediately, it's usually a good sign. Just get some big boy undies and throw yourself into it one weekend. You have to urge them to go every hour or so. Whether they wee or not, give bigs claps and heaps of praise for sitting on the toilet. Little boys like to sit at first too so it's a good idea to get an insert seat and step for the big loo if you are going with that. You'll be able to tell after a day if he's just not ready - he will just keep wetting his pants all day. If that happens, let him have a bit longer. Whatever you decide, don't fall into the trap of believing there is some grea t urgency. Let him be your guide. Good luck!
    Last edited by jaesmummy; 27-12-2011 at 22:52. Reason: ..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jaesmummy For This Useful Post:

Californication  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all. I might try that 3 day ebook, even just to read for some information to get me started.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jaesmummy View Post
    I have had six sons. TT can be tricky sometimes with boys. I usually hold off until they are close to 3 years old because then they just take to it like a duck to water!
    See part of me thinks I should wait a while, so it's interesting you say that.

He's not showing any interest, so at this stage I am doing it more for me. If I can get him out of nappies before the baby comes it will be a lot easier on me!!

Plus I thought being summer it's a good time to just run around in undies. Can't do that in winter here - its too cold!

So it's hard to know whether I should push him now, or wait until next summer when he will be 3 and 4 months. He's also not very verbal at the moment so I think that will possibly make it harder.

But I might give it a go now, but not to force him if he's not into it at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jaesmummy View Post
    I have had six sons. TT can be tricky sometimes with boys. I usually hold off until they are close to 3 years old because then they just take to it like a duck to water!
    This sounds like a good idea, but I also read that it can be harder as they pass 2.5yrs as they are 'set in their ways'.
    I am a little disheartened as I tried this morning (undies on) and in less than 2 hrs he did wee 3 times in his undies and 1 poo . I was next to him the whole time and I said things like "Let mummy know when you need to wee" etc. I took him to the toilet when he started to wee, but he just wee'ed all the way to the toilet so once we go there he was finished. By that stage I was over it and put a nappy on him.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    He's also not very verbal at the moment so I think that will possibly make it harder.

But I might give it a go now, but not to force him if he's not into it at all.
    I don't think they need to be verbal as such, if they can communicate their wants, thats enough. Pointing, pulling you, grunting even. Not forcing is the best thing, i just offered the opportunities and then let them lead, if it wasn't working, we just left it another while. It was really hard to leave it, I have been very keen to get rid of the nappies for a while now

Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    This sounds like a good idea, but I also read that it can be harder as they pass 2.5yrs as they are 'set in their ways'.
    I am a little disheartened as I tried this morning (undies on) and in less than 2 hrs he did wee 3 times in his undies and 1 poo . I was next to him the whole time and I said things like "Let mummy know when you need to wee" etc. I took him to the toilet when he started to wee, but he just wee'ed all the way to the toilet so once we go there he was finished. By that stage I was over it and put a nappy on him.
    I found the opposite, both my girls were very set in their ways until recently (2.5 & 4) Every kid is different though, and i have heard boys train later than girls.

I think only you can decide how hard you push them, it depends on how desperate you are to get them trained. I bought a couple of cheap potties to leave around the house, a soft seat for the loo and a step seat for the loo (overkill much?!). I got nappy pants too just for when we were going out etc. Then we just encouraged and gave them the opportunity to wear the big girl knickers, and went with the flow. If it was too hard, back to nappies.

Over this hols dd2 had a few days in knickers, with accidents. I just let her wear them when she wanted, and put nappies on when she got tired of the effort. So 2-4 hours a day maybe. After 2-3 days she got the hang of it and now a week on she is sitting on the potty all by herself, is wearing knickers at night (tho we lift her for a wee)

DD1 was different, she has been weeing on the loo for a year but she was afraid of pooing on the loo, and is a very heavy sleeper, so she has been wearing nappies at night and for poos until recently. DD2 getting out of nappies and pooing on the loo has given dd1 the push (no pun intended lol) to finish off her TT.

So as of three days ago we are ta-da drum roll totally nappy free I think for me the key was to be led by them, and like PP said, not to make a fuss over accidents (tho they were banned from couch without nappies lol) and heaps of fuss and praise when they had a success. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've had mixed success. He brought me the potty last week and wanted to use it, so did his first wee on it! But nothing since. Every time I say "do you need to do a wee / want to use the potty" he just shakes his head "no".

He does keep sitting on it though - he's using it as a chair