+ Reply to Thread
    A Party of Five is offline Winner 2008 � Most Boring Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Question Credit Card and Bank Account

My husband has a credit card with the ANZ bank that is in his name only but it is attached to a joint account (both names). My question is the outstanding money on the credit card is that his debt or is it both of ours?

Also I'm looking for a bank account for myself that has no fees, internet banking and no limit ATM with drawls.

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If the credit card is in his name only then its his debt only.

ETA: I'm pretty sure, I dont actually know how credit cards work, but I assume if he is the only person that applied for it and signed for it then its only his debt.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

A Party of Five  (27-12-2011),MsMummy  (27-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's always been my understanding - if it is in one person's name then it is their debt. Even if someone else has a secondary card. You remain responsible for the debt.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

A Party of Five  (27-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never wanted a credit card and he went and got one anyway, but I told him it had to be in his name. I don't have a card and have never use it.

I trying to get everything in oder to separated from him. His mother is one of those people who thinks they know everything, could have something to do with that all of her children are dole bludgers. And it know she will try and do everything she can to make for that he gets the five children, and not me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Went and opened a account with the ANZ they are going to send any mail to my Mum's house for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    actually work for Anz and if he is the primary card holder and the bill is issued in his name then he is the only person responsible for the debt. Even if you also have a card in your name it's not your debt to repay. Hope this helps and all the best.
    Bec

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A Party of Five View Post
    Went and opened a account with the ANZ they are going to send any mail to my Mum's house for me.
    Just wanted to let you know, ING are great. No fees. Will pay ATM fees if you take out $200 or more. No fees for eftpos. It's also a Visa Debit Card. Handy for online etc.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Have you got rid of the joint account? I had one with an ex once and he refused to close it. There was nothing i could do about it because it was in his name as well. The account kept on incurring fees and i had to keep on paying them until he finally agreed to close the account with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A Party of Five View Post
    My husband has a credit card with the ANZ bank that is in his name only but it is attached to a joint account (both names). My question is the outstanding money on the credit card is that his debt or is it both of ours?

Also I'm looking for a bank account for myself that has no fees, internet banking and no limit ATM with drawls.

Thank you
    Just joined, looking for info to support a friend when I saw your thread.
    I had a friend who worked in womens housing for a long time and mentioned the term "sexually transmitted debt", and how women can unwittingly get into trouble through their partners debts. Rather than guess, perhaps get advice from a women's financial advice line. There are plenty of places to try to turn to about your financial rights and for support and advice in Tassie:

Tas dept of Premier and Cabinet http://www.dpac.tas.gov.au/divisions...anian_services - useful links here
    and also here: http://www.dpac.tas.gov.au/divisions...ncial_literacy

General advice re credit cards in Tas – Consumer Credit Hotline - 1800 232 500

For financial counsellors - http://www.financialcounsellingaustr...g.au/index.htm

and here if you want to find out from a legal perspective: http://www.womenslegaltas.org.au/about_us.html - which also has referral service and other resources that may be helpful

best of luck