+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Kiwi having baby in Perth, please help!!

I'm having a baby in August next year (yes I'm only 6 weeks) and have had my doctors appointment and first bloods. After hearing the help and midwife assistance that my best friend has just received in NZ (as well as knowing the amazing system NZ has in place for midwife assistance, even in your home) I am kind of worried about having a baby here. We cannot afford to just up and leave to have this baby in NZ but I would love to know what help there is in Perth.
    I really miss my friends and family and am getting quite emotional over the whole matter now as I've googled and read a lot of horror stories about having babies in Perth compared to NZ.
    I am very excited about becoming a mum and so very happy, I just want it to go well like I'm sure all soon to be moms do.
    I appreciate everything and look forwards to responses.
    THANKS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi congrats on your news.

I am in Perth too, where abouts are you having your bub?

After your discharged from the hospital you get assigned a chn (child health nurse) they usually come to your home a week after bub is born to see how you are going. They also have a drop a centre where you can go once a week to weigh your bub and ask any questions you have. They will also organize a mothers group for you in your area the area. If you are having problems feeding they can arrange a lactation consultant for you.

If you have any other questions just let me know.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amiee For This Useful Post:

amyzbubblez  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi and Congrats on you pregnancy!

First of all, the horror stories you hear of are the minority. My DD's birth overall was a good experience and that was in the public system. King Edward Memorial Hospital is the main maternity hospital in Perth and that's probably got the highest statistics for pregnancy/birth complications but only because its the "high risk" hospital ie anyone in Perth considered high risk pregnancy or any birth less than 34 weeks are sent to kemh (because they are the best equipped to deal with that sort of thing) hence the high statistics.

I'm not sure about NZ health/maternity system so I can't compare but I'd say don't worry so much about Perth system!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Raff For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You could try to get into the birth centre st king Edward or go through the community midwife program. Should find info if you google.

I hope you have a great pregnancy and birth

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bel0v3d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Where abouts on Perth are you? Might help us give a bit more information relevant to you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We are very lucky in Perth to have a free Medicare funded homebirth program, I used them to have DS2 at home

http://www.cmwa.net.au/ they also run Workshops and all that jazz, which is for everyone, not just those that choose to homebirth.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Aimee,
    Great thank you so much for that!!!! I am in Greenwood (possibly moving to the other side of the freeway in Feb) so will be having Bub in Joondalup. You have put my mind at rest a lot.
    Everyone has been very helpfull and I will continue to post throughout the pregnancy
    Thermolicious, I have seen the cmwa program and would love to have a home water birth. I realise though that you cannot have pain relief and after speaking to my friends in NZ who have had babies I will probably want a lil pain relief. I do not want an epidural though. I have so much respect for ladies that give birth without pain relief (and am sure I will have more respect once I have my own lil bub but am unsure how I will go. Will I still be able to go through the cmwa program? I have read that you cannot have pain relief at a home birth and will be transferred to hospital if you need it.
    Thanks so much again EVERYONE
    phew
    Last edited by amyzbubblez; 28-12-2011 at 12:53.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    From memory the CMwa will only go to hospital with you if you become high risk late in pregnancy or obviously of you transfer in labor. What about a doula?

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks that sounds like an idea, I will look into it