+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 2yo sleeping issues

Has anyone got any ideas why my 2 and nearly 4 month old is suddenly needing to be rocked to sleep???

He has slept through since he was 8 weeks old, and while he does wake sometimes at night (especially when sick or teething), he has always been happy to go to bed and go to sleep.

The last week or so he has been singing etc for an hour after bedtime (8:30, he set his bedtime over a year ago) but the last few nights he cries and needs one of us to either rock or pat him to sleep or he screams the house down and is very upset. He has also started doing it with his day sleep over Christmas.

Apart from DH being home, nothing else has changed. We didn't go away this year, so his routine (self set) hasn't changed much (we tried putting him down earlier as he looks shattered - didn't help) and he's also been a bit more "tantrum-ey". He's also gone off his baths which he has always loved, and isn't keen on showers anymore either.

He is tired as sleeping an hour less during the day, and 1-2 hours less at night so I know that probably doesn't help.

Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is the 2yo molars, but he doesn't have a temp or red cheeks.

Only other thing is maybe having Daddy home and he thinks he is missing out if he sleeps?? But he's home every night (though was away for a week the week before Christmas) so not sure?

DH is back at work today so will be interesting to see how the arvo sleep goes, but any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is generally a good sleeper (she's 3 in Feb) but she did have unsettled nights and trouble falling asleep when she was teething so perhaps it is the molars coming through for your DS?

My DD never really showed any signs of teething with the later stages of teething other than being a little more cranky than usual and unsettled nights.

I would think that something is going on with your DS to go from sleeping well to suddenly being unsettled. Especially if his routine hasn't changed.

Maybe your DS has had a nightmare which has made him nervous around nap and sleep time? Or has he suddenly become afraid of the dark or being alone?

Another thought, has he had a cold in the last month? My DD has had two ear infections recently which developed a week or two after getting over a cold. Again, there were no symptoms aside from being unsettled at night when it was time to lay down. She'd then decide to tell us at 3am that her ear was sore after being up and down all night, we took her to the Dr and sure enough she had an ear infection.

Can your DS communicate well? Can you ask him during the day why he can't sleep at night? I know it sounds crazy but he might be able to shed some light on the situation if he can talk a little, just don't try it at midnight when he's screaming the house down

Just some ideas to think about. I hope things settle soon, it's hard when your child suddenly changes from a great sleeper to a little night owl.

Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to EmmyJane For This Useful Post:

Californication  (27-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the ideas EmmyJane. Maybe it is the teeth then. He had trouble with his other molars, so just assumed that these would be the same and we'd get a temp and hot cheeks! Might have to try to have a look in his mouth and see if his gums are red.

I don't think he's had a nightmare, he hasn't woken screaming or anything like that to make me think it could be the case, just is fighting going to sleep! And he has a nightlight so shouldn't be the dark. Though it could be being alone, as if one of us sits with him and rubs his forehead he will calm down and stop fighting the sleep, but it still takes a while.

No to the cold and the communication. He's speech delayed and doesn't have enough words to be able to tell me what is wrong. Would be so good if he could though! We're making progress with speech therapy, so hopefully one of these days it will happen. Will make life so much easier for both of us.

He was better this afternoon, did a bit of whinging (and just whinging, no crying or screaming) for 10 minutes and then it was all quiet, so assume he's asleep. Have been too scared to go and check but it's been quiet now for over half an hour, so might risk it

Makes me wonder if it is Daddy being home, though it's never been a problem on weekends before. Though I guess you throw in Christmas, and even though we had a quiet one with just us, he did get a big new toy that he is infatuated with. Maybe it's all been too much for him. Will see how he goes tonight.

Just when you think you have these kids figured out, they throw you a curve ball. Oh well, makes life more interesting I guess!