+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,316
    Thanks
    3,126
    Thanked
    6,320
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

    Default Same sex or co-ed schools?

    We were all having a discussion about this last night as DH and I are sending DH to an all boys school and BIL said kids that go to same sex schools are socially awkward ( thanks BIL i went to all girls school for 12 years!) what are all your thoughts/experiences/opinions ? Where did you send your kids and do you recommend it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,995
    Thanks
    1,382
    Thanked
    2,879
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I disagree with your BIL. I went to a same sex school and I loved it. Although, I've heard that girls really thrive in same sex, whereas it's not so good for boys. I don't have any hard facts on that one though. I am considering sending DS to one.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Co-ed for us at a P-12 private school however if that school was to not extend to Year 12 she would have been there until Year 7 then to a s ame sex school for years 8 to 12.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,687
    Thanks
    1,089
    Thanked
    4,057
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Generally girls do better in single sex schools and boys do better in co-ed.

    I did better in co-ed though, so it is really dependent on the individual child.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    356
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked
    42
    Reviews
    0
    I went to a girls' school and I'm not socially awkward! We had a brother school that we used to do lots of co-curricular activities with so IMO it doesn't make a difference, just less distractions during class IYKWIM LOL!

    Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raff View Post
    I went to a girls' school and I'm not socially awkward! We had a brother school that we used to do lots of co-curricular activities with so IMO it doesn't make a difference, just less distractions during class IYKWIM LOL!

    Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub
    I went to one like that too. I loved it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,316
    Thanks
    3,126
    Thanked
    6,320
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We want to send DS to the all boys school cause it's a great school, but I am now a tiny bit worried? DH went to co-ed and said he spent most of high school life chasing girls and thinks all boys will be fine, as he us there to get an education not socialize? I'm thinking that with all his female cousins he will have heaps of contact with girls so he should be fine???

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    We want to send DS to the all boys school cause it's a great school, but I am now a tiny bit worried? DH went to co-ed and said he spent most of high school life chasing girls and thinks all boys will be fine, as he us there to get an education not socialize? I'm thinking that with all his female cousins he will have heaps of contact with girls so he should be fine???
    He'll be fine! He only won't be fine if he never socialises out of school - ever - with anyone - then he may have a few issues . But no he will be fine with an all-boys school.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,152
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked
    126
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are doing a bit of both.

    Kindergarten to Year 6: co-ed

    Then Year 7 to 10: Girls
    Then Year 11 & 12: co-ed

    Personally, I think I would prefer High School to just be the Girls campus all the way through but it doesn't work that way. I think they call it a multi campus school. There is co-ed, Girls and Boys and then they all go to the Senior Campus. But I have heard the Senior Campus is very good.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,687
    Thanks
    1,089
    Thanked
    4,057
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    We are doing a bit of both.

    Kindergarten to Year 6: co-ed

    Then Year 7 to 10: Girls
    Then Year 11 & 12: co-ed

    Personally, I think I would prefer High School to just be the Girls campus all the way through but it doesn't work that way. I think they call it a multi campus school. There is co-ed, Girls and Boys and then they all go to the Senior Campus. But I have heard the Senior Campus is very good.
    That actually sounds like my ideal format.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Pre-schools
    By 1492 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-03-2012, 21:09
  2. Schools in Tassie
    By Phezza in forum Hobart
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-03-2012, 12:36
  3. Confused on the schools over here
    By Lovemyfam in forum Hubbers who are studying
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-02-2012, 12:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
Carmels Beauty Secrets
An online beauty and wellness site which offers simple and effective time saving methods and tips which help you look younger for longer.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!