+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default she needs to be toilet trained by Feb!! HELP!!

Hi.. My DD is 3 and we are about to start Kinda in 5 weeks...she the second child so her language is really good. She just won't sit on the potty or the toilet! I am getting a tad anxious as she needs to be toilet trained by the time she starts. She keeps saying she wants undies - but refuses to sit on the loo!! I have tried the M&M strategy - bribery really - no go! I must say, when she was about 2 1/2 she did sit on the potty and she poo'd - now when she saw what she did - that is the poo in the potty - I think she got a fright! Anyway i did the follow up - like praise and flushed it down the loo and then gave her a treat - but somehow i think that has stuck in her mind. What do I do??? Any ideas??? I would welcome any suggestions! Sandy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Jasper wouldn't go near the potty after pooping on it the first time! Lol. Poor mite.

He's 3 & toilet training now. He has a star chart, 5 stars = a toy car. Which is helping. But he still has accidents. It's hard when they just aren't ready though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Firstly we take the nappy off, just let her have accidents. She needs to see what she is doing type thing. Then we put the potty infront of the tv and that generally worked. Sorry fussy baby so can't type

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you tried the toilet instead? My DD didn't like pooing in the toilet/potty either for months after being toilet trained, but she would wear undies all day and just come and ask for a nappy on to do her poo in - bit odd I know but it worked for us and there were no accidents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    ^^^ jasper asks for a nappy sometimes to poo. Though he doesn't poo at all at daycare, so I figure that's not a big deal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds wasn't toilet trained at 3 (just) when he was due to start 3yo Kinder and it was one reason why we pulled him out a day before he was due to start. He wasn't mostly toilet trained til 3.5. A few months made a huge difference. It may not be feeling stressed she may just not get the right messages to her brain in time yet.

My mum is a retired Kinder teacher and suggested that we send our ds in pullups and said it was reasonably common. So, if your dd does a wee it's in pullups or in the toilet and if she does poo they won't change her, but the session isn't that long (90 minutes or so in Victoria) and the chances of her doing poo in that time will be pretty slim. With time she will learn.

Or could she start 3yo Kinder later in the year?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS was toilet trained in under 3 days using the 3 Day Potty Training method, so if you're desperate maybe you could have a look at that? Google it, there's an eBook to buy.

DS actually got the hang of it and was running to the toilet all by himself after just 4 hours from the time we first took his nappy off and hasn't worn a nappy during the day since day 1 of the method (he was 25 months when we toilet trained him).

It doesn't work for absolutely everyone, but given the short time frame you have I don't think you've got anything to lose by trying. A few members here (including me) have had good success with it and highly recommend it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for those tips. Maybe the 3 day potty training method will be good. See we have tried the toilet and the potty - but she just won't sit on them.She arches her back squirms. Then I tried the bribery thing - but she is quite happy to forgo chocolate m&ms. When wearing undies she will wet herself but will not sit on the toilet or potty! Then, ontop of all of this, her kinder is an all day thing - it is an ELC and we have already paid for the term! I don't think she can go if she is still in nappies. Feeling very stressed.....maybe she knows I am too!! Has anyone else tried the 3 day potty training thing?? Love to hear more about it. Cheers, Sandy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If it's an ELC you should be able to send her in pull-ups and they can take her to one of the rooms with a nappy change station if she poos. Call the director and tell her you're doing your best but your not quite there. She might just need to see all her new friends going to prompt her to go too.