+ Reply to Thread
    GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Kids, holidays and balconies. Worth it?

Hey guys and gals. A friend of mine brought up an interesting topic and I'm wanting to get your opinion. They're going on holiday and staying in a fourth floor apartment with balconies. They have two young kids - the youngest is two. So, the question is:

Is the holiday worth the stress of keeping a constant eye on the kids?

You'll have to excuse the iPhone auto correct. It sax!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Depends on the balcony. We had a few days in a 14th floor apartment a couple of months ago and I felt ok having my DD (23mos) there. The apartment was air conditioned so we could just shut the door if we didn't want to have to worry about the balcony. This balcony had the glass panels and the top rail was very high (even if dd dragged a chair over her head was only just level with the top of the rail) and the bottom was a very narrow clearance so she couldn't fit under it ,but one of her toys went bye-byes - glad there was no one down below. If the door is open, then it is important to not take for granted that the other parent is watching - always be very clear in saying 'I'm getting lunch ready, I will be going back and forth, you are watching the kids'.

I think that you still need to go out and enjoy things, and there is always something to stress over (a ground floor unit means the kids have easy access to the road, or the pool, or a spa, or a pond etc).

So yes, it is worth it if the building is up to scratch and you are diligent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Definitely worth it. We've lived in an apartment with a balcony and small children and my parents live in an apartment on the 9th floor with a balcony....it's not that difficult to look after them and you can always lock the door.

You have to watch your kids constantly on holidays anyway but family holidays are so much fun it's worth every minute!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My tip: If one or other of the kids was a 'known climber' or if the parents felt they would try to climb or hurl themselves over then I would go to target/ikea wherever and buy a stick on kiddie lock to attach over the balcony doors so they could know without a doubt that the children could not be out on the balcony unattended.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I try and avoid them, mostly because my son is liable to throw things off them, which is scary up high.

in saying that, we have gone away a few times with balconies, and we just kept the door shut or supervise him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work at a resort on the gold coast and this can be one of our biggest problems sometimes! We have 9 floors with balconies. If we see on a booking that there is infants staying in an apartment we always tend to allocate a lower unit, but if the booking says that there are children we never know what ages they are. So if you are worried about having a high floor you can actually request a lower floor when you make your booking, it is not always guaranteed but you won't be put on a high floor. This makes your holiday a lot less stressfull (and us lol) in the end especially if the resort is full and there is no chance of moving for a couple of days....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just keep doors locked and secured when you're not out there with them. No biggie IMO- when DD was 18 months to 3 1/2 we lived in a unit with a balcony- never had an issue. We also took all 3 when youngest s/kid was 4 for a holiday in a 6th floor holiday flat- nil issues. Don't let it hold you back- enjoy your holiday!

Thanks
    Reviews
    we lived on a 6th floor unit till DD1 was 3.5. it was never an issue, if we were on the balcony she was there too. just lock the doors = very simple

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (27-12-2011)