+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Long haul flight with 2yo & bub - to stop over or not?

We are thinking of going to Canada in March and will have 7month old and 2.5yr old (not a quiet cuddly well behaved one either!) and not sure whether to stop in Japan for a few days or go direct. We would like to do Japan (not necessarily this trip though) but its a few hundred more exy to fly there first.

2yr old was a nightmare last time we flew and that was only for 3hrs!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we flew to Europe when DD was 22 months old, we broke up our trip with a night in Japan. Totally wonderful and I would highly recommend it. We just arrived late at night, stayed in the airport hotel and flew again at 1pm the next day. I really appreciated breaking up the trip, even though it made the whole transit period a lot longer, just to get my DD well rested (and me!) was worth it.

However, my DD doesn't like to sleep anywhere but her bed. So if your kids are generally pretty happy to sleep wherever, then it might be better just to keep forging ahead? How active is your 2 year old? Also, our stop over was part of our JAL flight so didn't cost anything to do.

But basically if I was doing what you were doing then yes I would do the stopover!! And Japan is great too - even just a quick visit is wonderful

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've flown quite a lot with our 23 month old and have always opted for the 'quickest route possible' option thinking that minimising the time spent in transit with a cranky baby was best! This time round with two in tow - one 28 month and one newborn - we are opting for a stopover but mostly because there is no extra cost on the ticket and we will be spending the two nights at a friend's apartment.

The reading I have done suggests that a range of factors - time zone change, length of each flight leg, ability of your children to sleep on the plane and in a new hotel environment, total length of journey - will determine whether a stop over will provide rest and respite or just add to everyone's tiredness!

A good tip from a few seasoned traveller's is for you and your partner/adult travel companion to sit separately on the plane. That way you can swap seats every couple of hours and have a bit of a break/sleep/eat a meal.

What baby equipment will you take? We've always just gone with an Ergo and car seat but this time round I'm debating the merits of a stroller for airport transfers and daytime napping.

Canada in Spring sounds lovely!!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am flying to Europe with my boys in May and I will be breaking up the trip in Dubai. It is best for us, in our situation, due to my very spirited DS1 who will literally be crazy with cabin fever.

Some people prefer to do the whole thing in one big hit. I am not one of those people.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yeah we are going to Europe this year, with our 6 yr old (not a todler though, so will be easier than yours) and not having a stopover.

We are going via Singapore though - so 2 hops, 5 hrs and 12.5 hrs. We thought about stopping over but in the end figured we would rather just get on with it.

Best of luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are heading to Brazil in May, our little bean will be 11mths...we really have no idea what we are in for, as yet our bean has not started crawling so it is all going to be an 'experience' and on a long haul...we do have stops (short ones) three in total from 1-5hrs stops in airports and a total of 22hrs flying.
    If anyone can give me any tips that would be appreciated!
    One of my 'concerns' is that we are currently introducing solids and adjusting formula bottles to suit his solid intake! I'm thinking our bean should be down to 2-3bottles per day with his 3meals & 2snacks....I know experts reccommend not to introduce cows milk til after 12mths...but our bean will be so close, and we wouldn't have to cart formula around the world??? Ideas / thoughts...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We took DD and DS to the UK when DD was 3 and DS turned 1 while we were there. We found that breaking the trip up and booking the flights so they took off in the evening helped.

So we flew from from Sydney to Singapore...stayed there for a few days. Left at night...flew to the UK. Then flew from the UK to New York (from memory we left at night and arrived at night). Broke it up further and flew from NY to LA, stayed there a few days then flew at night from LA to Sydney.

The amount of people that congratulated us and said that they never realised we were on board told us we'd done well!! Also, we all were pretty well rested.