+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    During the foster care process, one thing the agencies are looking at is if you are looking for a back door to adoption (and many are) and they *really* bawk at that. The purpose of foster care is a place to house children in a safe nurturing environment until mum and dad get their act together. CP's goal is family reunification.

If you do become a carer it's unlikely you will get a child on a PC order. Usually they start out on Custody or Guardianship Orders and they are placed with you. Then after several years of the parents not dealing with issues they then look at permanent care. They will then give that child to the family they were already placed with all those years.

So getting a child on PC can take years, and you can't be guaranteed to get a child that will get to that point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    But why would they want to reunite some children with parents who are abusive? Shouldn't it be in the best interest of the child?

And I've heard that there's not enough foster carers. There are long term placements and permenant care placements and I guess if you know the risks when you go in then at least you're informed. Whether or not the child stays or goes the reward is seeing them grow with you and getting secure and settled, and love shared.

If the parents are good then I would never want to take their child having one of my own, I just love kids and want my ds to benefit from sharing and learning to give.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are a few agencies that place children in care. About 2 yrs ago, We enquired with Centacare formerly Catholicare. We had to do a course which took about 2 hrs a week over 6 weeks. Then there is a further assessment process before they even start to try To match you with a foster child. We didn't go further after doing the course as my DH was not as keen to do it as I was. Fostering is time consuming that's why yr kids need to be old enough to understand and agree to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are foster cares in WA and have an eight year old foster child. We have had her for 16 months now. When we first got her we would told long term but her mum is trying to get her back. It has been a really difficult time for me the past few months with the not knowing what is going to happen. DCP will go back to court in 2013 and if her mum doesn't have her act together by then we will get her until she is 18 under a special guardianship order. She is currently on her 3rd 2 year oder. 18 orders are not granted unless the parent/s have had the chance to get their act together/ a shot at reunification, as DCP's number one priority is getting the kid back to the biological parents.

I know in WA they do not like to approve carers if a significant life change has happened in the past year (baby, marriage etc) Good luck! It is an amazing thing that you want to do and you are right they always need more carers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckyme1 View Post
    That's great to hear it happened for your uncle and aunt. How are they coping with the kids.

We are both anglo's do you think that will be harder for us to find a permenant care foster child or easier?
    They're ok with them. They're good, loving people but their eldest is pretty bratty - when they got her they'd been through all sorts to have a biological child & then the process of getting her etc so they just spoilt her rotten & are paying for it now. I don't know what the breakdown is racially for babies needing homes so I couldn't say if it will be hard or easy for you. I do think perhaps some cultures might not generally consider foster care as a natural option for having a child when issues arise - though this is just my observation & is a generalisation. So as a result people from those cultures who are open to it will have less competition within the pool if you know what I mean - but I could be very wrong & I'm certainly not saying this to upset or offend anyone!!

Delirium, I think you're right aside from if the parents show no interest in the child. My aunt & uncle have received adoption papers for my little cousin who just turned 1, & the process was similar for their 5 year old.
    Last edited by becandabub; 28-12-2011 at 08:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckyme1 View Post
    But why would they want to reunite some children with parents who are abusive? Shouldn't it be in the best interest of the child?

And I've heard that there's not enough foster carers.
    CP come from a place that parents can change, and that if they do, the kids are better with them (obviously after resolving the issues that got the kids removed) than with a non family member. If the parents do not resolve the issues then they will move from a Custody Order (where the parents are still guardians but CP has custody) to Guardianship (where CP has guardianship) to permanent care. This process normally takes a number of years.

Yes there are a lack of carers, particularly for older kids. For littlies not so much as the carers all want them. They are easier, often have less ingrained issues and more hope to adopt.

I'm not trying to deter the OP from being a carer. I'm just pointing out to her that foster care is created as a short to medium term placement while the parents get their act together....some don't and they do end in permanent care. But foster care agencies do tend to bypass potential carers who go in solely to get an adoptive child.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    CP come from a place that parents can change, and that if they do, the kids are better with them (obviously after resolving the issues that got the kids removed) than with a non family member. If the parents do not resolve the issues then they will move from a Custody Order (where the parents are still guardians but CP has custody) to Guardianship (where CP has guardianship) to permanent care. This process normally takes a number of years.

Yes there are a lack of carers, particularly for older kids. For littlies not so much as the carers all want them. They are easier, often have less ingrained issues and more hope to adopt.

I'm not trying to deter the OP from being a carer. I'm just pointing out to her that foster care is created as a short to medium term placement while the parents get their act together....some don't and they do end in permanent care. But foster care agencies do tend to bypass potential carers who go in solely to get an adoptive child.
    You said it very well.

It also pays to keep in mind that the reasons for being removed varies, I've had kids who were removed because their parents were violent against each other, they were reunified with their dad after the dad left the mum, set up his life, did counseling and parenting courses. I was removed after my mum had a mental break down and attempted suicide, reunified after she was stable again and getting help. I've seen parents 'beat' their drug addictions to reunify, kids removed for their own behaviour.

These kids generally adore their families and most have regular contact with their parents.

Reunification is the big goal in most cases.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (28-12-2011),delirium  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And reunification is done in the best interests of the child.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

delirium  (28-12-2011)