+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone have any information regarding foster care?

This is something we're interested in if I can't get pregnant with another child, our ds is 11 months.

How long would it take to get a permenant care child?

Thanks
    Reviews
    What state are u in? Im a carer in QLD and I don't know anyone who has a permanent care child. I know ppl who have long term guardianship kids, but that means that the kids are under Child Safetys guardianship til 18yrs, not the carers so the child can be moved anytime to a family member or another carer.

The website for your states DOCS should have good info for you

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do a search of my previous posts, I have answered your question a few times before but it's too much to type again on an iPhone.

* Damn you autocorrect...you are killing me! *

Thanks
    Reviews
    ETA - I think permanent care orders are just not common in QLD but I have heard of more of them in NSW.

Good on you for considering caring, its a long, tough, emotional road at times but also rewarding.

Feel free to ask away if u have any other q's

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's unlikely you'll be allowed to foster with such a young child, they'll ask you to wait a few years most likely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,

We wouldn't try and foster until our child is three.

We live in NSW, so I would like to know about permenant care there. Has anyone heard anything about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckyme1 View Post
    Hi all,

We wouldn't try and foster until our child is three.

We live in NSW, so I would like to know about permenant care there. Has anyone heard anything about it?
    Yup, my aunt & uncle have two children both adopted via permanent care arrangements. One is 5 & one just turned 1. They were matched based on similarities racially - my family is asian. Both were drug babies. The inital process took about 12 months, then they were placed in a pool & I think it was about 4-5 months before they had their first bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great to hear it happened for your uncle and aunt. How are they coping with the kids.

We are both anglo's do you think that will be harder for us to find a permenant care foster child or easier?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The ethnic factor is based on fitting in, cultural identity etc...

We had 3 little Lebanese girls placed with us in the hope I could get them to eat again (they wouldn't eat their first carers food). It was a huge success for them and when they moved on, we did a few transition visits which were also cooking lessons for their new long term carer (we were emergency/respite carers primarily and only had them for 2 months while they found somewhere long term).

Aboriginal children have special restrictions around their care and kinship care is the priority there for obvious reasons, but there aren't enough carers in the right areas to take all these kids, so many end up in the care of non-Aboriginal carers, but with regular contact and support from Indigenous elders and agencies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks blissed out for the info, if our second baby doesn't happen we will definitely pursue the foster care option. And even if it does it will be something I'd like to explore. It makes me sad to think kids aren't getting the care and attention to thrive.