+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Please explain...

No judgement... I'm just really trying to understand why parents decide to circumcise if it isn't medically needed. I have seen a lot of posts that say "we have decided to..." but without a reason. Is it mostly the "like father, like son" reason, or are there other things that pull parents in the direction of circumcision? Please... I don't want to offend anyone or cause an arguement - I know this is an emotional subject. Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS ended up having problems were he needed to have it done, however, I was going to do it anyway.

Why?

Two of my brothers ended up having serious problems when they were 11 and 7 I think. Anyways, they had to have their foreskins removed and my mum said that it was one of the worst experiences she has ever been through. Being aware of the procedure they were quite horrified afterwards. They are both adults now and remember it all and that it wasn't a nice experience. My mum had another child years later and had him done to save any more anguish incase there were problems again. She has no regrets now that the little one is 9 and a very happy kid with no foreskin. My decision was influenced by her experience.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ra Ra Superstar For This Useful Post:

jaesmummy  (27-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have a boy, but DH and I had BIG discussions about circumcision when I first fell pregnant.

TBH, no one SHOULD have to justify why they chose to do it. If our next is a boy, he will be done, end of story and I will give no one any reason why.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MoonGecko For This Useful Post:

jaesmummy  (27-12-2011),lovelymum  (25-12-2011),Opaque  (25-12-2011),Ra Ra Superstar  (25-12-2011),zephani  (26-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Emzy83 View Post
    I don't have a boy, but DH and I had BIG discussions about circumcision when I first fell pregnant.

TBH, no one SHOULD have to justify why they chose to do it. If our next is a boy, he will be done, end of story and I will give no one any reason why.
    Amen to that! My child my choice. End of story.

Sent from my Atari 2600

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Opaque For This Useful Post:

jaesmummy  (27-12-2011),lovelymum  (25-12-2011),MoonGecko  (25-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why did we circ our two boys? I did a great deal of research prior to our first boy being born. This research was quite broad and included info from both 'sides' of the debate. Once I overlooked the overly-emotional aspects (which seems to be the only argument in the case against), and focussed on the facts and figures, it was quite a clear decision for us. In our opinion, the benefits well and truly outweighted risks.
    This was further concreted when we brought it up with some family friends. One of which told us about how hard it had been on their 8 year old - who had been fighting foreskin related infections for years. He was circumcised shortly thereafter.
    So I guess you could say it was a prophylactic circumcision in both cases. They are both very happy healthy boys
    Last edited by Mod-xkwzit; 26-12-2011 at 20:43. Reason: refers to deleted text

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

jaesmummy  (27-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    We circed bc we believe there are clear health benefits which lots of research shows. Nothing to do with looking like daddy or doing it bc I'm more attracted to circed penises like is always insinuated. We did the research, found a growing body of evidence all around the world showing health benefits, DH and I weighed up the pros and cons, and we made the decision.

I've grown a thick skin since being on this forum. At first I was hurt over the mean things that were said here and the gross generalisations about parents that circ. Now it's water off a ducks back. If someone is going to think badly of me as a parent based solely on this, it's their loss not getting to know who I am, not mine. I'm more than happy to discuss my reasons bc I couldn't give a hoot what others think

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

jaesmummy  (27-12-2011),Mod-SammiAnn  (26-12-2011),Sparklydreamer  (26-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    umm this is the pro circ section yeah? If people wish to demand others give their reasons maybe a thread in the Discuss It section is in order?

This thread was aimed at those that circ asking why. How people wish to respond and how much info they wish to give is their choice.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

jaesmummy  (27-12-2011),wildoats  (20-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    umm this is the pro circ section yeah? If people wish to demand others give their reasons maybe a thread in the Discuss It section is in order?

This thread was aimed at those that circ asking why. How people wish to respond and how much info they wish to give is their choice.
    Where better to request info on why people choose to circ than the pro-circ section?? The OP asked what reasons people consider, not do you/don't you. I'm genuinely curious too, as TTC #2 and hey, it's a 50/50 chance of a boy!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

jaesmummy  (27-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Where better to request info on why people choose to circ than the pro-circ section?? The OP asked what reasons people consider, not do you/don't you. I'm genuinely curious too, as TTC #2 and hey, it's a 50/50 chance of a boy!
    I have no issue with the OP, it was respectfully worded (although this question has been asked a squillion times by anti circers). My issue is people responding by basically insinuating that people *must* give their reasons and the comments about not wanting or feeling the need to give their reasons (and who could blame them) aren't good enough.

People comment on how they see fit, and given this is a question we are asked over and over, those that circ get a little tired not only of the question but people saying that the fact they don't give those reasons mean they feel guilty or regret their decision - and this has been said lots.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

jaesmummy  (27-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

No one was "demanding", just asking.

Why?

Because a better understanding of other people's motivations and decisions ultimately enriches the discussion and helps everyone make more informed choices. That's why we're here, no?

By way of analogy, I am strongly pro-vaccination but quite sympathetic to those who make different choices based on their perception of what is in the best interest of their children (see my most recent post on this for more). Similarly, I am not unsympathetic to those who decide to circumcise on health grounds, indeed I can also understand circumcision as a purely aesthetic decision (which I suspect is both more prevalent and more interesting). Disagreement does not imply disrespect.

So why in this thread? Because this is where those who choose to circumcise feel most comfortable posting, because they know that anyone who even hints at belittling other members' decisions will be swiftly and decisively moderated. And that's a good thing .

So a happy and healthy festive season to all
    Last edited by JohnC; 26-12-2011 at 21:27. Reason: ref to deleted text

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

jaesmummy  (27-12-2011),Witwicky  (26-12-2011)