+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Arrival of Ella, a perfectly boring birth.

Just a graphic detail warning, while this is a totally normal birth it's a bit more descriptive than other stories, I hope you enjoy it for what it is- a perfectly boring birth

I woke up on the 27th of July pretty upset once again at 41+5 I was pretty much just wanting a baby getting out of me experience, and that's exactly what I got..
    My posts that morning brought up how over it I was, I considered visiting the IMs in Fremantle for a VE and a S&S DF was having to take time off work because I was no longer coping emotionally, I knew all the risks of the above and doubted I would actually get one but decided to go in anyway. The IM was wonderful despite freaking me out by not being able to find Ella's heartbeat for a good 5 minutes, my heart sunk into confusion, I knew she was ok and she finally found it, back where she started looking. She than told me about a few births where the women had to consciously go into labour, she told me to just go home and have a baby- best advice ever! We got the boys ice cream on the way home and once there I retreated into bed for a much needed sleep..

As I slept I started having surges, they pulled me out of slumber around 2:30pm and I decided this was it, I was going to have this baby. Between early surges I prepped dinner, side stepping- plastering a wheat pack to my pelvis when needed and doing a little dance, DF was playing with the boys outside. Once dinner was prepped I started pottering around with last min birth prep, my surges died down during this time, DF had topped up the air in the pool and I needed his help to fit the liner over it, once that was done I moved the mattress back into the room and set up a nest for after/during the birth if needed. I then moved into the lounge to sit on a fit ball DF had grabbed from a friend that morning, surges built up during this time and I continued the wheat pack routine- reheating it every 3-4 surges.

DF finished off dinner and we ate, he showered and popped the boys to bed it was during this that I decided it was time to retreat into my birth room, after lighting my many candles and posting for anyone else who wanted to to light them as well, I spent time leaning over the fit ball in front of my little alter of candles, birth beads and beautiful notes I had shared with a group of women who were sharing the same estimated due date month, I listened to music during this time using my headphones, DF popped in and asked if I wanted him with me I said I was happy alone but asked him to heat my wheat pack for me he brought it back and left me to it. I switched between leaning over the fit ball and sitting on it, I can only note times looking back now at my posts and it was at 7:41pm that I climbed into the pool, DF was clearly dubbed hot water man and he bailed and added hot water as needed (which was often) the boys woke up not long after this, DS2 first thanks to the wild storm that had descended on our world. He napped on DFs arms until DS1 woke and they were both up for the birth. I had switched my music to the stereo once I got in the pool and was happily humming along between surges.

It's amazing looking back how with it I was for this birth, thinking about it makes me wonder if the responsibility that comes with planning a free birth subconsciously made me more aware of what was going on around me, making sure I peed numerous times and I found myself checking my vagina for progress about 5 times and was pretty happy and encouraged to discover the first time that I could only feel about 2cm of cervix left, I knew she wasn't far away, if I gave a little push I could feel my waters bulging so I knew they were still intact. During this time my surges kept getting stronger and stronger, I had been doing the classic horse lips early on but had now changed to my previously tried with DS1s birth AHHHing during them numerous times, I kept having to remind myself to keep it low and loose and that loose lips = a loose vagina! I reached the rest silently between surges stage and it was bliss though I noted I was beginning to fight them and ran different birth quotes through my head. I decided I needed a bit of womanly love and called a friend after smsing her that "this is insane, want drugs" she told me exactly what I needed to hear "no you don't" she offered to chat with me and I jumped at the chance I called her at 9:08 straight after a surge, our phone call lasted exactly 1 min before the next surge hit. I tried goingto the toilet after this as I felt a bit poopy but nothing came out and I bolted back to the pool.

Not long after this my surges reached that forever after forgotten all time strength and I started saying "come on baby" as my surges built up, my back was killing me despite her anterior position, other quotes from this time included "Rob I can't do this" numerous times, his reply was always the same "yes you can, you are doing it" at times I replied saying "I don't want too, just get her out" he would tell me I was nearly there and I knew he was right, I remember telling him that "next time I wanted drugs, I wanted an epidural, no I wanted a booked caesarean- stuff waiting around till 41+5 again" I was checking my progress every 2-3 surges at this stage, as I found it encouraging, my back was really hurting at this stage and I was moaning to DF how much I also started feeling really hot and he started fanning me with a wet terry flat nappy that was flicking me with water (not his best birth support moment) I yelled at him and he grabbed a dry one. It was just after this I decided to try and break my own waters but I couldn't get a grip and just ended up with fingerfulls of mucus, my back felt like it was on fire though strangely I knew it wasn't as intense as DS1s birth my AHHing was getting grunty mid-end of surges and I asked DF between surges to tell me if he could see the purple line in my butt crack, yep even during my own birth my curiosity had me asking questions. (eta purple line was present).

After checking myself, I felt pretty dilated, I couldn't feel much of a cervix if any at all and I knew I was waiting for the fetal ejection response I felt during DS2s birth and much different to the pushing reflex I felt during DS1s but I was getting impatient with the intensity so decided to try pushing to see how it felt, the relief was instant and cupping myself I began pushing, looking back it only took about 3-5 pushes but they were really hard work, I pooped and told DF to "scoop" but he couldn't see any, I felt her waters bulging at my vagina and I panted twice before decide that was hurting too much and I'd rather deal with a tear, one more push and she went (as DS2 put it) pachow! out into the pool, I managed to catch her and scooped her under her arms and I bought her to the surface, I could feel she had no cord around her neck with my fingers straight away, knowing her waters broke as she was born but not being able to look myself I asked DF if her face was clear and he leant over and removed a piece of caul, she started coughing straight away and I knew she sounded a bit chestyer than DS2 did due to her quick arrival from my lack of patience, she started crying on and off and didn't stop for a good while.

As I sat in the pool surges started up again and I knew the placenta wasn't far off, after 2 pushes it arrived with me saying "thank god for that" probably took less than 5 minutes DF scooped it into a container and we got out the pool and into our little nest. We spent time greeting her and I quickly posted a photo to facebook thinking it went onto my main wall it wasn't until much later when I went to check that I realized. I spent ages trying to get her to attach to my breast to help with the bleeding, I knew I was fine but wanted that back up happening she finally attached about 30mins after being born I'd say. I spent this time drinking what DF later pointed out was 3 bottles of water. DFboiled the cord tie and scissors and he tied and DS1 cut the cord, it was pale, limp and cold at this point with a few blue clots. DS2 was quiet interested in the placenta asking questions about it and talking about how baby Ella came out of Mummies vagina, he was also keen to check how my bleeding was going as I kept an eye on a few gushes and clots.

DF went and made me a peanut butter sandwich (soo yummy given I hadn't been able to eat white bread without feeling nauseous for the past 5 months) after I ate we weighed her, tiny at 3.5kg (7lb7oz) smaller than DS1 by 200g and just 2lb smaller than DS2 had been, so not my predicted huge baby and way off my last scans estimate at 34 weeks of a bigger than 9lb baby especially since she went past my usual gestation of 40+3 by nearly 2 weeks. When DF went to scoop her out of the blanket to weigh her he scooped some meconium too so we headed for the shower after that, climbed into bed and DF took the boys to bed just before 2am, I spent the night baby gazing, napping and boobing!

The boys handled the birth quiet well, DS1 didn't leave DFs side once he woke and I chatted to him between surges telling him that I was ok, and that Mummies vagina had to get big so that the baby could come out and that sometimes that hurt, I reminded them both of the videos we had watched on Daddy's computer and they were both excited to have our baby soon, both of them would cover their ears when I was AHHing and DS1 at times left the room to go play, which was what he was doing when Ella arrived, DF called him in straight away after. They have both been loving her non-stop since she arrived and have been giving her lots of love which is beautiful to see.

I thought I would post this in here since not many people visit the free birth section
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 25-12-2011 at 13:18.

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

babyspice  (25-12-2011),Berrie  (25-12-2011),BornToBe  (26-12-2011),lovemybabies!  (26-12-2011),MagicMud  (21-02-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (26-12-2011),Mod-SammiAnn  (26-12-2011),mummaof4  (26-12-2011),Opinionated  (25-12-2011),proud-mum  (26-12-2011),Sevven  (25-12-2011),smallpotatoes  (03-01-2012),SPC  (26-12-2011),SpecialPatrolGroup  (26-12-2011),summastarlet  (25-12-2011),SuperTrooperVagiDuper  (25-12-2011),TheCatsMeow  (02-01-2012),trishalishous  (25-12-2011),Witwicky  (25-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    All I can say is wwooooow. Absolutely amazing love free birth stories . Thanks for sharing!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to elleseetee For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (25-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's so beautiful.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to happygrl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    wow beautiful story, and no, its not boring at all xxxxxx
    ps congratulations!!!!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babyspice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Beautiful story. Thanks for sharing!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing. Welcome earthside Ella!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow that sounds so...nice (for lack of better word) compared to the hospital. Was a middie present? Or is that not law? Sorry, I don't know all the in's and out's of home births!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to captainscaptain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations!! Beautiful, thanks for sharing!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sevven For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by captainscaptain View Post
    Wow that sounds so...nice (for lack of better word) compared to the hospital. Was a middie present? Or is that not law? Sorry, I don't know all the in's and out's of home births!
    No, no midwife its perfectly legal to birth at home without a medical attendant and no worries, ask away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Amazing story - so strong and determined.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post: