+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ceiling furniture needed...

Does anyone know how to rig up a system where everything we own except toys are hanging right side up from the ceiling? The older family members would have to wear some sort of suspendable rubber band belts so that we could jump up to the ceiling to sit in chairs, watch tv etc.

Or maybe someone else has a better idea of how to keep my three toddlers DOWN! They currently climb up on everything.... chairs, couches, beds, boxes, baskets, cushions etc. They use anything they can to make a step up. Every day I put as much as I can up. Chairs on tables, no toy boxes or baskets on the floor, I can't even have a blanket or they roll it into a ball and use it as a boost up. Everything in our house has to be put up high or they get up on the bench, the table, the piano and dance around, completely unaware of the danger.

So I've decided that seeing as everything is high up already, we may as well move the rest of the furniture up and leave the children to live on the floor... I surely can't be the only mum who is experiencing this problem , am I??

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jaesmummy For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (25-12-2011)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do they have an outlet for this climbing interest? It's all part of them exploring and testing their environment, perfectly normal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

jaesmummy  (25-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaesmummy View Post
    Does anyone know how to rig up a system where everything we own except toys are hanging right side up from the ceiling? The older family members would have to wear some sort of suspendable rubber band belts so that we could jump up to the ceiling to sit in chairs, watch tv etc.

Or maybe someone else has a better idea of how to keep my three toddlers DOWN! They currently climb up on everything.... chairs, couches, beds, boxes, baskets, cushions etc. They use anything they can to make a step up. Every day I put as much as I can up. Chairs on tables, no toy boxes or baskets on the floor, I can't even have a blanket or they roll it into a ball and use it as a boost up. Everything in our house has to be put up high or they get up on the bench, the table, the piano and dance around, completely unaware of the danger.

So I've decided that seeing as everything is high up already, we may as well move the rest of the furniture up and leave the children to live on the floor... I surely can't be the only mum who is experiencing this problem , am I??
    Hahahahahaa I was reading this thinking - what the hell is ceiling furniture... This chick is crazy!

Then realized where you were going with it haha.

Sorry - no advice! Just wanted to thank you for the giggle!

Proudly brought to you by Mumma Puffins portable telecommunication device!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Atlantic Puffin For This Useful Post:

jaesmummy  (25-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lols.... not completely nuts yet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would suggest making them a safe area with things they can climb on and explaining to them they can't climb on other stuff. Kids do understand pain so make it clear they will hurt themselves in other things but that the climbing area is safe for them to tumble about in.

Mother of two teens ttc #3 <3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic Puffin View Post
    Hahahahahaa I was reading this thinking - what the hell is ceiling furniture... This chick is crazy!
    !
    LOL My thoughts exactly!

OP- I have a climbing toddler also. My kitchen is cut off with a baby gate however the other day 18mnth DS decided to push a chair up towards a bit of open kitchen bench, climb up on the bench then suspend himself over the edge to drop down on the other side of the baby gate. I have now had to tie all of the chairs to the table but I'm waiting for him to find something else to use. I bought him for Xmas a climbing gym thingy. I am hoping that he can take out his climbing "urges" on this thing other than bookshelves, tv cabinets, tables and kitchen benches!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got a monkey as well. We have been going to ed gym at YMCA so he can get it out of his system and learn to climb prpoerly and get to know his limits. And we have a sided trampoline in the lounge... if I need to go and do something and leave him unsupervised for more than a few minutes, I put him in his "cage"...
    Funny, I started out as one of those "no toys in the lounge room mums" and now we have an entire trampoline

Thanks
    Reviews
    Instead of suspending the furniture from the ceiling, why not just suspend the children from the ceiling? An elastic cord and a harness round the waist should do it. I bet they'd have a great time bouncing up and down
    Failing that, there's always this! (I kind of want one, that and an indoor swing and trampoline ... I think need a kiddy gym room!)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Berrie For This Useful Post:

mumsies  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My #1 stood on the odd thing and climbed a bit and only took a few "That's Danger" before she moved into the next skill/phase. But #2 is spiderman! OMFG... She climbs everything the other day she was sitting atop the 6 foot bookcase, I really don't know how she got up. If you find a solution I would love to know. Ps we have lots of outdoors/climbing stuff but she still feels the need to be off the ground all the time(even if its just to stand on a piece of cardboard) Goodluck!

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes! That's just what it's like! Standing on cardboard... I love the idea of tying chairs to the table. Trust me, I've tried and tried to teach them. Remember, these are boys aged 1, 2 and 3! They gang up on me! They give each other ideas and egg each other on! I think I'll have to go with the suspending the KIDS from the ceiling instead.... Thank you all for your ideas - I guess I'll just have to persevere with the constant "Put your feet on the floor!" Hopefully they'll grow out of it - you don't see children standing on their desks at school do you?