+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Question False Alarm labour - does it mean real labour is near?

Merry Xmas everyone! Thought I'd pop in with a quick q before DD gets up!

I had my first false labour lastnight.. Was out for dinner and on the way had a full-blown contraction. Then throughout the meal I had more so I started timing, I had 6 that were 5 mins apart, lasting 30 - 45 seconds each. (there were I think 3 before that before I started timing them).
    Not quite the relaxing Xmas Eve meal I was hoping for!

I've been in labour before and I was quite sure they were the real deal.. couldn't talk or anything through them so we scoffed our food (in between contractions!) and left, had a couple more on the way home and then they just stopped.

I remember having this with DD but I can't for the life of me remember when it happened.. (if it was close to her birth or not)

Does anyone know if this is a sign that labour isn't too far off?
    I'm 36+4 with a gigantor baby, I'm booked in for an elective c/s in a little over 3 weeks time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went into false labour 3 times in the week before I was induced.

First time I had contractions for about 40 minutes - quite painful and about 5 - 6 minutes apart. Then they stopped.

Second time they stopped after just 3 decent contractions.

Third time I ended up in hospital (on my dh's birthday of course!) as they were 3 minutely and getting progressively more uncomfortable and had been going for 90 minutes by the time I got to the hospital. They lasted 4 - 5 hours then stopped. My cervix was not even ready though! This was despite being my 2nd bub and I was already 38+5 by that stage. I was very unimpressed.

Sad to say my induction took 2 days too (I had gestational diabetes & a really big bubba). I ended up needing prostin gel to get my body ready for induction and that took 24 hours to work, causing bad contraction like pains (I rated them as 8/10) for 8 - 10 of those 24 hours. Mind you, once my waters were broken within an hour I was contracting well and an hour later the pains were 13/10 and I was begging for an epidural. And I was full dilated only 4 hours after the proper contractions started (without the help of drugs). So, although it was a long process once I got into labour things progressed quite quickly.

Sorry for the long & rambling answer. Bottom line is that it doesn't mean you'll go soon, but you could. That's why I was put in hospital for observation when my pains continued for 4 hours. As it was bubs #2 I could go from not looking like bubs would come, to having bubs very quickly (a matter of hours) - I heard plenty of similar stories at the time.

All the best!

Try & enjoy Christmas day as much as you can. My mum laboured with me on Christmas Day, but I didn't actually arrive til Boxing Day - 3 weeks early

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi There,

For my third I had them for about 4 weeks leading up to actually going into labour. The only way I knew I wasnt having more 'false labour' was when my waters broke!

Good luck!!

Oh and I was 40+4 when I went into labour.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My motto is...its real labour when a baby comes out....that's how much pre labor I have been through with my 3 children beautiful chance to practise your birth skills though.

Oh and I've found when it's real labor I just know as well, there aren't doubts it's like someone has turned the light on. Of course during pre labor I always wonder, hope, pray that it's the real deal lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Funny thing is, after labour with DD, I thought I'd know 100% when it was the real thing this time!
    I've been getting pretty full on braxton hicks for a few months anyway, but these were REALLY painful! And regular. That's why I thought it was prob best we didn't waste any time.
    As much as I want this little guy out, I wasn't too keen on the prospect of DD spending Xmas morning without us, so glad it was a false alarm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Good luck Danielle - maybe you'll have a new years day baby! It's getting exciting now!