View Poll Results: Do you spend equally on others?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (if I can afford it)

3 42.86%
  • No

2 28.57%
  • Yes (family/close friends only)

2 28.57%
  • Other

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you try to spend equally on others as they spend on DS/DD?

Do you always try to buy others/other children a present to the same value as what you receive/your children receive if you can afford it?

If I can afford it I always try to make sure I buy something around the same value and I feel bad if I know I have spent significantly less.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have family limits for buying for others, $30 per adult or child, that way we don't have that awkward moment where A gets a $70 present and C gets a $25 present.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a good way of doing it

I buy what I think will suit the child and try to spend the same across the board on each child (my children get a gift at home and a gift with the family) we all have different limits and as a family we understand this so far not had any issues we aren't very material

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I only buy for 3 children at the moment, and they are the kids of two of my best friends.

One of them I will spend a lot more on than the other two, because the mother of the first child I know will spend a fair bit on DS.

Don't get me wrong, I am more than happy to spend the same amount on the other two, however their mother isn't as well off and last year she was a bit embarrassed that I had spent so much on her kids, and she hadn't spent much on DS at all so it is out of consideration for her than me making sure I get bang for my buck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to - but my SIL just kept upping the ante and the rest of us couldn't or didn't want to spend that much a head. I think now I spend between $30-$50 a child

Thanks
    Reviews
    We normally spend around 50 per person adult or child, it's a sorta unwritten thing we all just know that's the amount.

For significant bdays we might spend more or all chip in and get something bigger.

I would feel awkward if I only spent say 20-30 and other person spent 70-80!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think setting a limit before is a great idea! I must remember that one for next year.

DS's father brought spent $100 each on his niece and nephew, I also brought them a present each however DS's aunty has only spent about a quarter of what was spent on her children. It irks me not so much the money aspect but she didn't even try to buy him something he would really like .

ETA: She only has one nephew!!!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No we're just happy to buy what's within our budgets, I have 2 nephews and 5 nieces add in my 3 and that's 9 other children for 2 of my brothers to buy for or 10 for 1 to buy for and we all have different incomes so it doesn't seem fair. We do only buy for children though.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Jess1889  (24-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    No I spend to my budget not anyone else's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my SIL and i have discussed once we both had children (we both have 2) that xmas & birthday present limit is $30 for the kids and $50 a couple for adults.