+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dr Steven Tan - Royal North Shore Hospital

Hi all - just arrived from England and am now 8weeks pregnant!

My local GP has given me a list of obstetricians, and she has highly recommended Dr Steven Tan as her no 1 choice at Royal North Shore.

Has anyone used him? This is my fist baby and I would like a normal delivery - NO EPIDURAL - especially since i heard about that poor lady who is now paralysed due to a poor epidural (this happened in sydney and BBC London broadcasted this as their prime news!).

Thanks all.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyinoven For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (24-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Dr Tan is excellent, he was the doctor on call when I had a few issues win my first pregnancy. North Shore Private was great and I highly recommend them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dr Steven Tan was an EXCELLENT obstetrician! He was always attentive and sensitive to my needs and never once rushed me despite my thousand questions.
    DH was very sceptical about paying for private care but when Dr Tan took us thru our pregnancy and expecially during our labour, DH was more than thankful for Dr Tan's care!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Congratulations on your pregnancy I think you'll find the Australian maternity system a little behind the one in the UK. You can see the statistics for RNSH here http://mybirth.com.au/birth-stats/pr...ails.php?id=15 I'm not sure of Dr Tans personal statistics but that's something you could ask his offices

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    Dr Tan is excellent, he was the doctor on call when I had a few issues win my first pregnancy. North Shore Private was great and I highly recommend them.
    Hi elleandsam - I had Dr Steven Tan at the Mater Hospital Sydney and I second your opinion.

I transferred care from my initial female OBGYN - she was cold and very arrogant, dismissing all my concerns. A girlfriend who had Dr Tan could not speak highly enough of him, so much so I had to see him just to satisfy my curiosity. Dr Tan was kind and compassionate and friendly . . . . . I was totally blown away when I compared my previous experiences. The Mater was great, Dr Tan was very supportive of my birth plan, took me thru my labour very professionally and I had a beautiful delivery of baby Sienna (it still hurt badly, as Dr Tan did forwarn me!).

I now tell my girlfriends to shop around for a dr they can bond with them and to not settle for anything less. We are worth it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyinoven View Post
    This is my first baby and I would like a normal delivery - NO EPIDURAL - especially since i heard about that poor lady who is now paralysed due to a poor epidural (this happened in sydney and BBC London broadcasted this as their prime news!).
    Firstly, are you talking about RNSH (Royal North Shore Hospital) which is a public hospital, but you can go private with Dr Tan there, or are you talking abour NSP (North Shore Private) which is the private hospital next door to RNSH? They are completely different hospitals.

Secondly, if you want to avoid an epidural and want a normal delivery then the best thing you can do is NOT go to a private hospital with a private obstetrician. If you want an epidural-free labour and a normal delivery, you are far more likely to achieve this with your first baby at a public hospital, through a midwives clinic or through a midwifery group practice or caseload program. This is available at RNSH, Ryde Hospital, RPA Hospital, Hornsby Hospital etc, depending on where you live. There are still obstetricians there to help make decisions and intervene where the labour is not progressing normally.

Sorry to say it and I know it's not the case for everyone, but you are far more likely to end up with intervention, such as epidurals, and more likely to end up having a ceasearean section delivery if you choose to birth your baby in a private hospital with an obstetrician.
    I would suggest that you go to this website http://www.mybirth.com.au/ and have a look at the statistics - read through the rates of women who have epidurals, forceps or vacuum deliveries, and the caesarean section rates in the private hospitals that you are looking to go to. In 2006, the rate of epidurals in private hospitals was 67% - that's right, well over half the women who birthed in a private hospital with an obstetrician were offered, told they needed, or chose, an epidural in labour. In the same year, in public hospitals with midwives, only 35% of women had an epidural in labour.
    More info here: http://www.mybirth.com.au/where.html

Looking North Shore Private Hospital (NSP) in particular, in 2006, 73.6% of women who laboured at the hospital had an epidural in labour!! That is enormous. You can see more stats on this hospital here: http://www.mybirth.com.au/birth-stat...ails.php?id=66

Also have a look at the statistics in the public hospitals that you might consider going to. Know though, that the statistics at RNSH apply for public patients only, if you go private with Dr Tan at RNSH public, you're going to fall into the same statistics as NSP (North Shore Private) or the Mater.

If a normal birth and no epidural is important to you, then I'd start doing some research into which hospital and care provider is most likely to respect this and help you achieve this. As the website suggests, know your rights, protect your baby and protect your body and get informed.

Did your GP talk to you about or suggest going to a public hospital with midwives? Or did he/she only offer or suggest going private? GP's really should be informing women that there is not just one option, and should be advising women of the differences in the two different models of care, so women can choose the one that fits best for them.

I really hope this has been helpful, and you are welcome to PM me for more information if you would like.

Midwife at public hospital in Sydney
    Last edited by aquarius22; 29-12-2011 at 22:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aquarius - many thanks for your advice! I really did not realise the epidural rate was that high!

My GP did tell me about having a baby at a public hospital, totally FREE, however, she then told me about the poor patient in Westmead Hospital who is now paralysed because a trainee doctor put in BLEACH into her epidural!

I have reviewed the fees for Dr Tan, and he is very reasonably priced. Truth is, NO EPIDURAL for me, but all my friends and my GP have advised me labour hurts, and the truth is i will hold out . . . . . But I still want the option available to me. Private hospital . . . NO STUDENTS . . . .. . . NO TRAINEE DOCTORS.
    I will not be a guinea pig for medical students.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Fair enough I've heard good things about North Shore Private and the Mater.

I had jasper at RNSH and it was awful A lot of bad things I won't get into. And my SIL went through similar things. Though she had my experience to draw strength from and every time the were jerks to her she knew it was THEM and not HER.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my baby with him recently. When we first met him, he gave the impression that he was very pro-natural birth. I had no major issues throughout my pregnancy and my baby was growing well. However, as the pregnancy progressed, I felt that I was being pressured (from Week 32 onwards) into doing an elective C-section two weeks before my baby was due. I refused and waited until my baby decided to show up (2 days late).

I have spoken to a couple of women who had been with him and they said the same thing i.e. they felt 'bullied' into doing a C-sect. My advice is to stay firm on what you want unless the situation is life-threatening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my little baby Ella at the Mater Hospital with Dr Steven Tan and he was excellent!
    Many friends chose caesarean section with Dr Tan and were all very happy with their experience - I was unsure of my birth options and Dr Tan was certainly very pro-natural.
    Dr Tan continued to support my choices and eventually I had a natural delivery - 4kg of bundle of joy!
    Dr Steven Tan was truly professional at all levels, saw me several times during my labour and delivered my Ella straight onto my chest!

Good luck to all