+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Isn't this very issue why the Baptist Church doesn't baptise babies and only adults? Because they want it to be their decision.

Re the tithing etc. A lot of evangelical churches make it pretty uncomfortable for people NOT to tithe. I don't like that at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Why would you be livid? It's not like you would be able to tell.

If you truly believe that a child should be allowed to make their own religious decision, then why would you want to stop a child who WANTS to be baptised? Or are they only entitled to make a decision about their religion if YOU agree with it?
    They are entitled to make that decision when they are old enough to be the ones making it not when they're being led by parents.. If when older they decide they want to be baptized I will help them plan it but till then someone will have HELL to pay if they take my child against my wishes and without their informed consent to be baptized..

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is old enough? I would say that a seven year old at a Christian school would understand the meaning.
    I would say when theyre old enough to make informed decisions regarding any other life long decision medically in Aus it's 15 that's a guideline I'd use as a rough guide as well as my impression on how mature and how well researched it is..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    So by not baptising a child, you're not "leaving the door open," for Christianity (or other religion) in future, but BY baptising you're leaving the door open to atheism?

What am I so opposed to about religion? Oh, I could go on and on... and I'm sure others would join me, but this is not the purpose of the thread and Christmas Eve is not really the time I want to get into it all anyway.

If my daughter wants to follow some organised religion, she can do so when she's an adult and can properly understand what the religion she's subscribing to is all about.

MY child is also quite willing to believe what adults tell her - if an authority figure was to tell her that "God is real and he said this and this and that," she would belief it as absolute fact. I do not believe this is healthy - she needs to understand challenging ideas before she can be safely introduced to religion. Until then, she knows that SOME people believe in some sort of god, and that SOME people believe this, that and the other, but that I believe X, Y and Z and when she's older, she'll be old enough to figure out what SHE believes too. That's what she's been taught, and obviously, I think that's the best approach to take. I don't care if others disagree, but if I was one of the parents in the article, I would be really angry if someone was trying to baptise my child. Yes, their child too... but still MY child as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Yep. I favour universal, secular public education as an ideal of a truly democratic society. I recognise this ideal is unlikely to be realised any time soon (or ever), but that shouldn't stop us striving towards it.
    Do you have any children John?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    well not really.
    there are christian school that are not "one " faith.
    my kids go to a christian school made up many denominations. so i would send them there but if they wanted to be baptised into a pentecostal
    church, i would have a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you have any children John?
    Biological, step and foster, as well as a "godson".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    It's a hard one. Either way one parent is having their wishes ignored.On the name, it should have been hyphenated. As far as the baptism, honestly don't know where I stand. I don't believe in 'just some water on the head'. I'm atheist and the act of baptism itself is just water to me, but it's everything that goes along with membership to a church that bothers me. Clearly the parent wanting the baptism is practicing for them to take it to court.So it wouldn't just be some water and that was the end of the story. From what I can tell the parent not wanting it wasn't middle ground either. To fight it I would say they are anti-religion or atheist.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    as far as baptism goes - I really dont understand.

If the child is attending a christian/religious based school, surely being baptised into that religion isnt really that big a deal. The child will be taught the religious ideals anyway.

If the Father objects so much to the baptism he would surely be seriously objecting to sending the child to a school based on that faith ??????

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (24-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    That did cross my mind too KM. Why would he want the child to attend a religious school but objects so much to baptism. My children are going to a public school bc I want as little brainwashing as possible.

To me it sounds like feuding ex's that hate each other's guts

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (24-12-2011),SassyMummy  (26-12-2011)