+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm not religious and would not be a happy camper if the ex tried to get our daughter baptised.

That said, if he was already raising her as a Christian anyway, sending her to a Christian school and whatnot, then my issue would be with THAT and not the baptism. Baptism on its own is less against what I want for my child than religious teachings in childhood. So it seems kinda pointless to even debate it - if she can teach her kid to follow Christianity, and the Dad is okay with that... what's the big deal with baptism?

I don't get the hyphenated name thing though. If the kid is happy enough to have their name changed, then why can't it be done?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes it is a parent. But it is one parent! Assuming that these parents have equal shared parenting responsibility (which it appears to be) then it needs to be a joint decision. Surely if BOTH parents can not agree then it should be left for the child to decide when they are old enough to understand the meaning.

If they can not agree then it comes down to the court to make the decision and in this instance the court has ordered that the child make the decision when it they are old enough. Any family court case you take to court you run the risk of the court not finding in your favour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    And if one parent doesn't believe and one does surely the middle ground is that pouring some water and oil over the baby in the name of 'imaginary friends' (as my inlaws call it) is of no harm to the child?
    Very well said. I don't see why atheists are so concerned over this. If they don't believe - there is no harm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    Surely if BOTH parents can not agree then it should be left for the child to decide when they are old enough to understand the meaning.
    How old is old enough? I would say that a seven year old at a Christian school would understand the meaning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Very well said. I don't see why atheists are so concerned over this. If they don't believe - there is no harm.
    You are assuming that because we don't agree with having a child baptised we are an atheist? Sorry incorrect! It is about both parents having equal say in the raising of children. Well that is my thoughts on the matter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Something you're not just "not religious," but actively against having your child being indoctrinated into an organised religion... so for people like that, it's more than just a bit of water on the head - it's opening the door for a lot more that you're opposed to, not just not fussed about.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

delirium  (24-12-2011),PomPoms  (24-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Something you're not just "not religious," but actively against having your child being indoctrinated into an organised religion... so for people like that, it's more than just a bit of water on the head - it's opening the door for a lot more that you're opposed to, not just not fussed about.
    So well said

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    You are assuming that because we don't agree with having a child baptised we are an atheist? Sorry incorrect! It is about both parents having equal say in the raising of children. Well that is my thoughts on the matter.
    When the parents disagree, a decision should be made in the child's best interest. For a child that goes to a Christian school who WANTS to be baptised, how is it in the child's best interest to say no to them? I would imagine that the child would be upset at the fact that her father won't let her do such a thing. Surely, it would be less harmful to her if she is allowed to do something that both herself and her mum feel she should.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    baptism at a christian church is nit just water on the head.
    at my old church it was in a pool and involved a 2 week course and a contract with God/church.
    this involved tithing and evangelising.
    its a big assumption to say its just water on the head.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Why should the door not be left open? Are Christian values that bad that the child cannot have the option to live by them?

What is it that you are so opposed to?