+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Girl's baptism banned by judge after court battle

http://www.news.com.au/national/mum-...-1226229754277

They cannot hyphenate the name???

It
    ruled against overturning orders preventing her from changing her daughter's
    surname to a hyphenated name and provided for the girl to spend alternate
    Christmases with her dad.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/mum-...#ixzz1hONFaZo2

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree about the baptizing. When she is older she can make the decision for herself.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I took mine in at 6w. It can't harm. If you believe in it then you really have to take them in. If not then how can it hurt?

With the name how can they not allow them to hyphenate it???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    people are really screwy!! why did this have to go to court and become news???

sort yourselves out!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

kriista  (24-12-2011),PomPoms  (24-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    people are really screwy!! why did this have to go to court and become news???

sort yourselves out!

My first thoughts too. Grow up for goodness sake!
    Ex and I no longer really like each other, but we have an amicable relationship for the kids.
    We do a lot together for the kids, that includes my DH and his (exs) gf. The kids love it, and everyone else seems amazed, but Im doing for my kids, just like Id give my life for them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningWithScissors For This Useful Post:

mummaof4  (24-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post
    My first thoughts too. Grow up for goodness sake!
    Ex and I no longer really like each other, but we have an amicable relationship for the kids.
    We do a lot together for the kids, that includes my DH and his (exs) gf. The kids love it, and everyone else seems amazed, but Im doing for my kids, just like Id give my life for them.
    Not everyone can. Nice that you can but yeah not everyone can have that with their ex.

I never even told the FOB that my LO would be baptised. I put her in my name only on the birth certificate. But I feel at the very least that the mother be able to use her name. To hyphenate will not take away his name but have hers as well. Why not let that happen? Baffles me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I took mine in at 6w. It can't harm. If you believe in it then you really have to take them in. If not then how can it hurt?

With the name how can they not allow them to hyphenate it???
    You have a good point re: Baptism. At least if how I read what you meant is right. I'm not religious, but I take it you are saying to someone who believes in christianity and baptism it is highly important to be baptized. And to someone who doesn't believe then what's the harm in having 'some words said, water dabbled over a child's head and ???'. If the person doesn't think it matters then what for it matter to them? - was that your point?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be furious if someone baptised my child against my will. I see nothing wrong with this ruling, except the name hyphenating, having both names is only fair. How petty to take it to court though.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-12-2011),Gandalf  (25-12-2011),SassyMummy  (24-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    You have a good point re: Baptism. At least if how I read what you meant is right. I'm not religious, but I take it you are saying to someone who believes in christianity and baptism it is highly important to be baptized. And to someone who doesn't believe then what's the harm in having 'some words said, water dabbled over a child's head and ???'. If the person doesn't think it matters then what for it matter to them? - was that your point?
    That's it. I once let people "bless" me when it was religion I don't believe in or follow. They wanted to and felt it was important. To them it was important but to me it meant nothing and certainly wasn't going to hurt me for them to put a hand on my shoulder and say some words.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just meant that each of the parents need to grow up shareabook Didnt mean everyone should get along. My ex is a horrid, selfish man and admittedly it took me years of ignoring his often cruel stunts designed to hurt me to get to this point. After 5-6 years he figured he couldnt hurt me and gave up