+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Failed Glucose test ;-(

Mostly i'm writing this as a vent but advice would be appreciated.
    Wednesday i went for the glucose tolerance test & rang late this afternoon to be told i need to be retested. Now i didn't really take that in so didn't ask why.

I'd fasted, felt like crap & it turns out have really low iron. Could that affect the test?
    Also they didn't do the blood test until 1 hour after i drank the syrup & with water drank that morning & during the hour had a full bladder. Could that affect the test?

In my first pregnacy they took blood as a starting point then i drank the syrup waited an hour & had more blood to compare the 2 and there was no fasting (or problems with iron levels). Is that usually how it's done?

The reason i rang about the results was the iron thing I was even lower before we conceived & then normal. But i had it tested again as i've been feeling crap, not put on weight and bruised after bloodtest.

SO i had a feeling iron was low, was correct & am back on iron supplement(one that is safe during pregnancy).
    But there is this nagging thought of Why do they need to re test sugar?

Thank you very much for reading my rant & apoligies it's so long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just from memory when I've had GTT's they've told me full fasting, no water either. I think that if you have water too soon before the test it dilutes the sugar drink which might have skewed the results. I'm not sure why but you also have to have eaten lots of carbs in the couple days leading up...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Penny
    I did drink a bucket load of water both before test & about 600mls during the test
    I can enjoy Christmas now Most likely cause
    PS urine test was normal week before so didn't think it was GD Ahhhhhhhhh check again in a fortnight.

Merry Christmas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Being diabetic I understand the testing process, the things you listed would not have affected your results, they are completely unrelated.

Drinking water would have no effect, the sugar intake in the drink remains the same. The only reason they would have retested is if you were over the line, or borderline with your initial results. The second test is more accurate in determining whether you have GD or not BUT there's quite a few people who have a normal second test after a borderline first test.

The only things that would have affected your results is if you had eaten anything sugary or something high in carbs 2 hours before your test.

I hope that it comes back all clear for you, but if it doesn't then there is plenty of good support and information out there to help you

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbie View Post
    Mostly i'm writing this as a vent but advice would be appreciated.
    Wednesday i went for the glucose tolerance test & rang late this afternoon to be told i need to be retested. Now i didn't really take that in so didn't ask why.

I'd fasted, felt like crap & it turns out have really low iron. Could that affect the test?
    Also they didn't do the blood test until 1 hour after i drank the syrup & with water drank that morning & during the hour had a full bladder. Could that affect the test?

In my first pregnacy they took blood as a starting point then i drank the syrup waited an hour & had more blood to compare the 2 and there was no fasting (or problems with iron levels). Is that usually how it's done?

The reason i rang about the results was the iron thing I was even lower before we conceived & then normal. But i had it tested again as i've been feeling crap, not put on weight and bruised after bloodtest.

SO i had a feeling iron was low, was correct & am back on iron supplement(one that is safe during pregnancy).
    But there is this nagging thought of Why do they need to re test sugar?

Thank you very much for reading my rant & apoligies it's so long.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum5 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (25-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum5 View Post
    Being diabetic I understand the testing process, the things you listed would not have affected your results, they are completely unrelated.

Drinking water would have no effect, the sugar intake in the drink remains the same. The only reason they would have retested is if you were over the line, or borderline with your initial results. The second test is more accurate in determining whether you have GD or not BUT there's quite a few people who have a normal second test after a borderline first test.

The only things that would have affected your results is if you had eaten anything sugary or something high in carbs 2 hours before your test.

I hope that it comes back all clear for you, but if it doesn't then there is plenty of good support and information out there to help you
    This. At my hospital they don't even make you fast for the GTT and say you are allowed to drink as much water as you like and only take one test. It is the second test thru glucose challenge test where you are supposed to fast and have multiple blood done and is a lot stricter. Fasting and drinking water would not have affected your results and made them higher. Hopefully you have a negative second test. Also i am severely anemic and have done too many glucose tests to count both long and short due to family history and I have never once had a bad result. Iron levels won't affect it at all.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I failed my first GTT both times. I was not told to fast for the 1 hour test. I failed that with both pg and had to do the full 3 hour fasting test each time, which I passed both times. Just wanted to let you know that a fail on the first doesn't automatically mean GD.

Cheers and best of luck with the next test - make sure you get in as early as possible and this is the one time it's ok to elbow the pensioners out of the way. A pg women should not be made to fast

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey hun. I just wanted to tell you that I had to be tested the second time because my levels were high but once I had the 2nd test, everything was normal. Good luck! Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your replies
    The wording was wierd on the phone & as i said i didn't ask questions about that. "We have to do the test again so you may need to fast before your next appointment" So don't know that it was high. The RN didn't seem worried and is happy with the 2 week wait(which i can't change anyway).
    For now i'll get the iron levels sorted and see the midwife January 4th, be tested again & have first result explained thoroughly.
    Thank you for replies I think i just needed to get the concern out into cyber space so i could sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with pp but I also wanted to add that GDM is not too bad. Your pancreas has to work 2-3 times harder from 22 weeks onwards and it's the most common "complication". I got diagnosed early at 17 weeks. It's really important that they manage it if you do test positive. I am on very low doses of insulin now and manage it mainly through diet and exercise.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Talked to nurse socially last night Result was border line and there fore need to redo it. So thank you for all advice as pp said I didn't do anything to mess test up.
    I think as iron level dropped i was eating more sugar & also exercise has dropped a little(read alot) as i've moved to a really hot climate(44* today) so i'm not out side walking anymore. Thank you for the reassurance Bk2b at this stage if it turns out to be GDM that's better than heat stroke. Also i have a really great midwife (who was even at my DD birth in a totally different town) who i'm sure will manage me