+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Not liking meat sounds like a totally reasonable answer to me

For me, I eat it I guess for much the same reasons others have given.

* I grew up eating meat, so it's part of what I consider a 'normal' diet for me, it's in a lot of the things I know how to cook and it's probably partly habit to eat meat with 3-5 meals a week.

* I crave it sometimes. Sometimes for a piece of steak I'd cut the meat from my own leg to get it!!! (no... Not really...)

* and cos it TASTES GOOD!!! Mmmmm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mettie View Post
    I'm not sure what sort of deep and meaningful responses you were after...? 'It tastes nice' was always going to be the most common response surely?

Bumper sticker

*I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants*
    Bahahahahahahahaha love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also hesitate to give a 'deeper' meaning. Getting into I eat meat because I feel it's biologically normal I'd worry about offending anyone assuming that because I feel it's 'normal' & natural that by default I must think vegetarians are abnormal or unnatural. Which of course isn't the case.

Because what's normal & natural in my mind for my body doesn't necessarily reflect how I feel about someone else's eating habits.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

naebie  (23-12-2011)

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mettie View Post

Bumper sticker

*I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants*
    Love it!! Curse those damn plants!! Lol

You'll have to excuse the iPhone auto correct. It sax!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    Because I crave a nice slice of meat, with the blood still oozing out of it as I cut it.
    Omm nom nom... Why did I have to read this when the supermarket's closed??

Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    For me it's a combination. I actually throw up when the smell of meat cooking wafts into my house. I find it disgusting to touch, taste, smell. I also don't eat it because of the cruelty factor and because I find we are healthier without it.
    You sound like my old flatmate, she'd throw a fit whenever we cooked meat with dinner, dryretching and complaining.

For me, I was forced, yes forced, to be a vegetarian for a large chunk of my childhood, I have no issues with my mother only cooking vegetarian meals, but she went to the next extreme and would call friends parents/school to ensure I wouldn't be served meat.

So why do I eat meat? I'm rebelling...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Omm nom nom... Why did I have to read this when the supermarket's closed??

You sound like my old flatmate, she'd throw a fit whenever we cooked meat with dinner, dryretching and complaining.

For me, I was forced, yes forced, to be a vegetarian for a large chunk of my childhood, I have no issues with my mother only cooking vegetarian meals, but she went to the next extreme and would call friends parents/school to ensure I wouldn't be served meat.

So why do I eat meat? I'm rebelling...
    Erm... No, your friend is not like me...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    That's not share a book I can sit in front of her eating my nice juicy burger. She happily sits there eating her hash brown that she gets in a deal with a bacon and egg muffin that my son eats.
    Last edited by *Cj*; 23-12-2011 at 22:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Erm... No, your friend is not like me...
    She's not my friend? She's an ex-flatmate.

Your description of how you respond to meat cooking was very similar to her.

Busy-Bee is online now Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    As a vegetarian of over 20 years I know exactly where the OP is coming from. When I first became veg I was regularly asked "why" and more often than not nothing I could say was a good enough reason for the person asking. If I said it was the cruelty factor the omnivore may read that as me saying they have no regard for animal cruelty. Same response if I said it was for environmental reasons. The omnivore often then got a little defensive and would often ask me what my shoes, belt and handbag was made from (which was obviously leather) to try and poke holes in my logic. I have had the conversation many times, belive me. I don't get asked nearly as much these days which is much nicer (it gets very tiring to try and justify your habits). I know people are curious and I don't mind that. My practices are not within society's realm of 'norm' so therefore I am considered radical and questioned. I don't know if it's my age or if people are more accepting these days but I hardly get asked now.

For the record, I rarely eat lentils and I can't stand tofu.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (23-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopoke View Post
    can i ask why not pork, rabbit or veal?
    Pork, because of my Jewish side plus it's the only meat my naturopath says is the hardest for humans to digest, ( ham and bacon are full of nitrates and other nasties and I don't give these or processed meat to DS so don't want them in my house!) rabbit because I had bunnies as pets growing up and couldn't bare the thought of cooking them and veal as this was the original reason I stopped eating meat, I went to a dairy farm in year ten and learnt the fate of the newborn calves and it makes me sad, DH gets his bacon and veal fix when we go out , I buy DH and DS organic beef, lamb and chicken not only because it's healthier but it makes me feel less guilty knowing at least they had some happy life !