+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was a vegetarian for around 7 yrs and even though I ate lots of tofu, lentils, vegetables, ETC I could not keep my iron levels at the right level (unless I took iron tablets). I remember one time my iron stores where that low I had to take double the dose of iron tablets to bump them back up again. After that I never felt 'quite right' while being a vegetarian (lethargic). Once I started to eat meat, I felt like myself again. I don't eat a lot, a variety of chicken, fish and red-meat a few times a week. I wouldn't say I love meat, I could live without it, I just feel I need it.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 23-12-2011 at 21:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I read back. My response was not aimed at you in any way. It was at the other response.
    I eat meat cause I guess I always have and I don't necessarily have moral/ethical issues with it - although I emphasise with those who do.

I'm not a huge meat fan, I'm a take it or leave it eater, I have meat lovers and vegetarians in my family and circle of friends. Being vegetarian (or not) isn't a new or abnormal thing in my close society so it isn't ever an issue other than being aware of someone's food choices - but then I always check if I'm catering as I have Hindu friends, Jewish friends, vegan/vegetarian and of course friends with food allergies/intolerances and those who are well just plain fussy! I'm pretty cool with cooking a meal to please all - or at least dishes that everyone can enjoy without anyone being singled out or exampled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I was after something more than because it tastes nice. Thank you to those who answered without becoming rude. Much appreciated.

Does that mean I can't reply with because I like meeting you at Hj and tucking into a juicy Hj burger.

I'll get DS off to bed and call if your still up

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Vegetarian convert since May this year and am loving it to be honest. I don't miss eating meat at all. All of which I know plays no point to the thread topic.

BUT

I can confirm the cr&p that I receive from some sources. I give my kids meat occasionally (not too often), DP eats meat, mum - you name it. I am the only person in my social circle who is vegetarian. Now, if you're Muslim, I don't ask you why you are. I figure that it is because you want to be. If you are Indian and have bindi on your forehead, I don't ask why you wear it. And if I was particularly curious, I would ask in the most respectful of ways. Yet I have been labeled a freak because I choose not to eat meat? Really? I judge nobody, have no dramas with people eating meat or eating it around me. I don't beat my beliefs over other people's heads. Yet, for the most part, my choice is received with wide eyed ridicule.

So I understand that there a vegos out there with a chip on their shoulder. I've been at it for less than a year and I already dread the question. There's a reason when, at Christmas parties etc, if there is a couple of us we tend to flock together. Becasue it's nice to talk about different dishes on the menu etc without being targeted for jokes etc.

Myself, I just find it annoying. I have a rather good way with words and if attacked I will almost always win a verbal argument leaving the attacker wandering away puzzled, off to go and rethink their life! lol.

Sorry if this was off topic. And yes London, I agree with you, it would be lovely if we could all just have insults etc run off us like water off a duck's back. But we aren't all like that I'm afraid. We do cop a HEAP of cr&p and I just wanted to confirm that for all the meat eaters out there. I was on your side of the fence as recently as this year and I had no idea how much cr&p I was going to receive. Yet I do and I know others do too.

So there you go!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

FrogsnSnails  (23-12-2011),misskittyfantastico  (23-12-2011),SassyMummy  (24-12-2011),share a book  (23-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my ds is a fussy eater, its easy to give him something that i know he will eat and he is like his dad, he is an absolute carnivor.
    even at the supermarket, he wants to snack on ham & twiggy sticks from the deli, but i guess in general, its kinda what everyone else has said, i do make vegetarian choices for myself and i offer them to my son, but he doesnt eat them :/

I dont eat much meat myself, but i like the occasional bit of bacon, a bit of chicken, a bit of fish, heaps of prawns, i make other things for my little one with red meat in it, he doesnt eat legumes, iv tried giving him daal and other dishes like that, but he rejects them all.

im the past iv gone completely off meat, but i cant maintain it for long, i get too lathargic, maybe its because i dont know the correct quantities of alternative proteins to eat...??

im certantly open to eating more vege meals, i just dont know of any ones that are highly recommended and are easy to make.

ps. talking about this makes me so hungry!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    It would, its just it wouldnt need mods cos everyone would be happy to just read and post rather than feeling the need to his report every 3 seconds because their feelings are hurt.
    Darn feelings....so overrated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    because i love it, its good for the body giving it iron and again it tastes good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is so sad that vegetarians cop a lot of cr@p for their choice.

It is a personal choice which is neither right nor wrong.

I have never been vego, but I will say that there have been several occasions where my choice to eat meat has been called into question by some vegos I know, which usually ends in me being accused of murder or similar.

I think either way, people just need to respect other people's choices.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

Azurial  (23-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    It is so sad that vegetarians cop a lot of cr@p for their choice
    Meat eaters can get it too, some of my narrow minded vegetarian and vegan friends call me all sorts of terrible things for eating meat,

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonGecko For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (23-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Emzy83 View Post
    Meat eaters can get it too, some of my narrow minded vegetarian and vegan friends call me all sorts of terrible things for eating meat,
    I know. I've had some pretty nasty comments, too.