+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 15 month old's development

I know I shouldn't compare, but we recently had my 15 m/ old nephew down and DH and I were just talking about how different he was from our DD.
    I do know all children develop differently but in even in comparison to all of my friends children he just seemed very much a baby.
    He barely talks, in the 5 days sis and nephew were down he picked up lah-lah (which is short for my name) and my sister was really surprised that he'd even managed that. She said he said 'Dadda' and "Mumma' but he didn't say it whilst here (I know they go through stages of not saying them and then over-using them though).
    He started walking two months ago and was still very wobbly- that seemed fairly normal?
    He spent most of his time playing with our doors (swinging them shut and opening them) and looking at the 'baby' in the mirror (this was pretty cute as he seemed entranced by himself).
    She seemed to only feed him bottles of milk. He did eat more at our house though as he liked stealing food off our DD, but sis doesn't ever give him proper meals or snacks. Even before that age we were giving DD different food options- she didn't eat much but she had more than just milk. (nephew is gaining weight healthily though)
    And then there was just little things which after I researched that age range development I twigged about; chewing on everything; spoons, hair brushes etc, picking up every little speck off the ground and shoving it into his mouth (DD stopped this well before she hit a year old so it was a real task having to remain ever vigilant of what nephew might pop into his mouth- he ALWAYS managed to find something too!).
    That's all I can think of for now. But am I the only one in thinking he might be a little under developed? I didn't want to say anything to sis as, once again, I know all babies develop very differently.
    Is there a certain age where one should start being concerned at their lack of developmental growth? (I know it possibly sounds like I'm taking this too far but I'm honestly curious. With my own DD a few months older than nephew and another baby on the way I'm really interested in peoples answers (and just maybe if new baby doesn't match DD or even nephews' growth then I won't freak out! lol)).
    TIA for any and all answers or tidbits of knowledge/ experience etc. that anyone might have to share.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't be bothered yet. My DS barely talked at 15months, way behind tune to my daughter. At 18 months he was putting sentences together.

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by swizzlestick; 23-12-2011 at 20:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    maybe to comes down to the way we treat our children

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My son only started walking at 15 months, and wasn't saying at words.

He had breast then bottle til 3, and didn't swallow food until 12 months.

At 2, he was saying fewer than 5 words, and was assessed with a delay. At 3, he was reassessed with normal speech, and is fairly normal with motor skills, but has fairly severe social inhibition and some anxiety (I attribute that to genetics, plus exposure to childcare too early).

I can't see the issue with your nephew. Kids who seem advnced or behind tend to average out. Kids are still babies at 15 months.

If you are concerned, then you could suggest they see the child health centre. They have developmental checks for various ages.

Tread carefully though. I know I got defensive about developmental questions, particularly if they were comparing it to their own child.

Eta. Ideally, she would be offering him a range of foods though. We did blw from 6 months. My son wouldn't swallow, but he would prctise picking up, chewing, getting flavour etc.
    Last edited by MsMummy; 23-12-2011 at 23:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    nope nothing id worry about there is a very broad range for them learning things which youll find out soon when you have a 2nd child.

here's a little comparison of my girls:
    DD1 walked at 9mths
    DD2 almost 14mths and not walking

DD1 over 20words by 1yr
    DD2 has 5words at same age

DD1 was in such a hurry to grow up that by 12mths there was hardly any babyish left in her, DD2 is very much a baby still and slowly but surely getting there in development aspects.

to others prob seems all DD2 eats/drinks is bottles but realistically she only has 2 a day. she is not too fussed on foods though i do offer her 3meals a day and 2 snacks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The biggest thing I have learnt as a parent is not to compare. If I did, I would be constantly worrying. DS didn't crawl till 15 months and at 20 months, still isn't walking.

The only thing that really concerned me out of your whole post was that he was only getting milk bottles, while stealing food off your DD. IMO, he needs some more solids in his diet especially at 15 months.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (24-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all.
    I think with only one child of my own so far I have fallen into the trap of comparing them. I'm glad to know that it all seems normal (so when #2 for me comes along I don't immediately freak out when he/she isn't at all like DD )

I might just suggest (subtly) next time I talk to sis that it might be a great idea to try a broader range of food with him. Maybe even by saying DD likes it, nephew may enjoy it too...

Thanks again