+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How does it work when they go to school..??

Hi All

Im curious.. my DH and I were talking about me going back to work once the kids are in school... and it got me thinking how does child care or how does parents both working when kids are at school?

How do you manage to drop them off and pick them up for school hours...
    my work hours were 8-5

AND how on earth do you manage school holidays.. kids have what - 12 weeks a year?! My work place only gives me 4 weeks AL a year.

So, when they are little, what do you do with them, how do you manage this???

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Before school and after school care (they often open at 6:30am and close at 6:30pm) during term. These are on school grounds.
    Lots of community centres run school holiday / vacation care programs. You need to book in quick though as they often book out. Also having good friends willing to have your kids once or twice a week helps too.
    Last edited by bellalika; 23-12-2011 at 16:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You do before and after school care. A lot of schools have programs they run AT the school, otherwise the daycare centres surrounding the school will usually send a bus to go pick up school kids and bring them back to the centre (or drop them off to school after you drop them off at the centre in the morning).

Vacation Care is an offer too... I know some places do special outings and events and stuff for the holidays, but it's really expensive (around here, base rate is about $40, but that's for them just to sit around and do nothing basically... if they then go to the movies or whatever, you've got to pay another $30 on top of it or something ridiculously overpriced like that). I am unsure if there's such a thing as subsidised vacation care. I imagine there surely must be, but probably run similar to daycare, and perhaps very boring for the kids attending. I'm sure someone will come in and answer this for you (and me!) though...

Another option is Family Day Care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    There is before and after school care plus vacation care.
    My DS use to go to after school care a few afternoons a week as well as vacation care when he was at his old school. It's was quite cheap. I think the full rate was $30 something per day but once ccb was applied it was really cheap. They would go on excursions that would cost a bit extra. Nothing excessive though.

My DS has just started going to a vacation care where we live now. All the excursions are covered with the daily fee. The full price is $38 a day but once again ccb will be applied to that fee and reduce it somewhat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    plenty of kids go to Bsc and asc. I work at one and we are about 30 a day for vacation care the kids are rarely bored as we have lots of fun stuff two excursions a week normally a more fun one like movies, ice skating, dreamworld, etc and then a quieter one to tue beach or local park. we do bike days at the centre, plenty of craft, baking, sports etc

most parents get the ccb like day care as Oshc is the same so they end up paying barely anything

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you are lucky enough to have OSHC/vacation care, or family who can help out, or a job that is during school hours in term time only, then you are set. Otherwise you are screwed and rendered unable to work from the time your first hits school age to the time your last no longer requires you around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    yep we go to work, and then someone else goes to work to look after our kids, its the system that is screwed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ohdear View Post
    yep we go to work, and then someone else goes to work to look after our kids, its the system that is screwed
    I have 7 weeks off with no care for my child, so unpaid time off until the end of next month. The whole thing is screwed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They go to before and after school care or family day care or you work in a job that has family friendly hours. Most people manage. You are not usually rendered unable to work. I have good memories of family day care lady walking us to school when I was a kid

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ohdear View Post
    Why Is that screwed?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk