+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What's a good electric breast pump?

What's a good electric breast pump?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I adore my Medela Swing! Easy to use, easy to clean, gentle and I can adjust the setting to see how strong it pumps. Can't say I've used any others to compare though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been reading that when you breast feed you should express to get more milk supply and for when bub has a growth spurt...Im 26 weeks and a first time mumma. So I don't have any idea, some also say that if I breast feed that's all I need...? Hmmm help

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Summer View Post
    I have been reading that when you breast feed you should express to get more milk supply and for when bub has a growth spurt...Im 26 weeks and a first time mumma. So I don't have any idea, some also say that if I breast feed that's all I need...? Hmmm help
    Congrats on the pregnancy!
    You will probably find it is best to just let bub lead by example. Newborn babies often like to breastfeed A LOT. It might seem like they are constantly on the breast, but they know what they are doing. All that stimulation in the early weeks is really the key to establishing an adequate supply, however you may find expressing handy if you want to keep milk in storage in case you aren't with the baby.
    The breastfeeding association (ABA) has stacks of advice and are availablee on the phone for free - 1800 MUM 2 MUM is the number. There is also a myriad of far more knowledgable parents than me on this site who will probably come along soon to give you great info.all the best xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah, I don't think that you need a breast pump if you are staying at home with bub and supply is good. Bub will help regulate your supply after initial engorgement dies down - so supply will go up if he/she has a growth spurt all from bub's sucking and then go back down when the spurt is over. I can't say though in the situation where you have low supply issues though.

But I think if you have no supply issues the only reason you would need to pump a lot is if you are returning to work. As far as I know a manual pump or hand expressing should suffice if you just want the occasional night out or night off.

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Gosh I forgot to answer your initial question!
    I have a Medela mini electric. It does the job, but it is very noisy. I borrowed an avent one off a friend recently and loved it!