+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Lactation consultant - large breast specialty

Hi ladies,

I'm not pregnant at the moment, but I struggled to breastfeed with my LO for numerous reasons - she was a big baby, I have large breasts, therefore couldn't comfortable and couldn't attach properly, which led to much pain and unhappiness by all.

We are thinking of having a second one next year and this time I'd like to be prepared.
    I was reading a practical parenting article today about breastfeeding issues and the lactation consultant said if you are large breasted, find a consultant who specializes in this.

So my question is does anyone have any experience with an awesome consultant who has this specialty?

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't see an LC but I did do a bit of reading on the Aust Breastfeeding Assn website - they have a section dedicated to us more ample mummies.

Last time, did you use a bfing pillow? I used a boppy pillow which really helped my back, and always sat somewhere with good lumbar support (after much pain and many trips to the physio), also had a breast wedge (a rolled up hand towel was great too) but the most important thing for me was the C hold to help shape up the breast and nipple for attachment.

Good luck with your search. What area do you live?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (22-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for responding 😊
    I didn't use a BF pillow, but I did use a normal pillow, I had to! She was too heavy for me! (4.3 kg's at birth)
    Which def helped but still couldn't get it right.
    I watched you tube vids and read articles, but nothing helped, so next time, I'm more than happy to pay someone to help till I get it right!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry! Forgot to add, currently live in western 'burbs of Melbourne, but moving to mornington peninsula very soon

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just a couple of quick thoughts. Have a look at booby boosters. They are slings that loop under your breast and help position it. Have a look at breastfeeding made simple on google books, very helpful and you can read most of it for free. Also read up on laid back breastfeeding, which might help with self attachment. Good luck!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    Just a couple of quick thoughts. Have a look at booby boosters. They are slings that loop under your breast and help position it. Have a look at breastfeeding made simple on google books, very helpful and you can read most of it for free. Also read up on laid back breastfeeding, which might help with self attachment. Good luck!
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the boobie booster - I didn't get one becuase all my bras had the wrong clasp, but will get one for next time.

On the pillows, I found a normal pillow was too soft and dd sunk into it too far so a very firm pillowworked best for me. I definitely agree though, if you have to pay to make it work, so be it.

Mod-SammiAnn is offline Administrator
    Winner 2010- The Most Helpful Member Award

Winner 2010- Member You'd Most Like To Meet IRL Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ,

I can't offer a name or a service sorry but I've been able to successfully BF my three until they self-weaned. My breasts have grown a size after every bub and I now sit at FF cup. My bubs have been on the small side at 6pds which added to the early struggle and apparently I was 'behind the door when nipples were handed out' which made attachment a little tricker. But we did it, each bub managed to handle it all eventually. I found it tricky in the early weeks having to hold my breast away from their faces so I didn't smother them and block their noses. The football hold was good for this and feeding laying down as SPC recommended.

I wish you all the best with your journey and hope you can find someone that can help build your confidence. It can be done and you can do it!

Sam

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much lovely ladies, for all your wonderful responses. I will def look into the boobie boosters! They sound brilliant!
    I think your right Sam about building confidence, I lost all confidence in the end.

Missie_mack is pinky a LC?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have massive assets and I have BF laying down for the past 14 months best advice I was ever given by the LC in hospital. I have never suffered and back pain or wrong positions/latching etc plus I had the bonus of using it as an excuse and got extra rest of having to lay down!!
    When I was out shopping etc of course I just sat in parents room/car. Laying down was my lifesaver