+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi shoo
    Random question.... Have you ever had a burst appendix? As soon as I told my FS mine had burst when I was 18, he said it was imperative that I have a laparoscopy done ASAP because the appendix are so close to Fallopian tubes and when the burst the tar like substance can stick to your tubes and cause them to disfigure and/or become blocked.
    You will still get all the signs that you are ovulating with blocked tubes because an egg will still release.

Unfortunately infertility doesn't discriminate, you can be the healthiest person out there and still be affected.

So not cool

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    I'm 26, DH is 30. We've been TTC for 13 months, and are deciding whether to go see a FS.

I'm trying to figure out if we have any real risk factors, and DR Google isn't being kind Can you help? Here's some info about us:

- We are both in the healthy weight range (my BMI is 20, DH's is 25)

- We don't smoke

- We don't drink alcohol (aside from one glass of wine at special events)

- We exercise regularly (DH 30 mins cardio per day, me 30 mins cardio & 30 mins strength training per day)

- Neither of us have remotely stressful jobs

- We eat healthy, balanced diets with mainly whole grains, fresh fruit, fresh veg, white meat 3 times per week, red twice a week, seafood once and vegetarian the last

- We don't consume a lot of caffiene ... We each have the equivalent of one coffee per day, no fizzy drinks, no energy drinks, no chocolate etc.

I can't understand why it is not happening for us?? Has anyone else ever appeared perfectly healthy, young, fit etc and still been infertile?

TIA!
    Hey, I'd get checked as DH & I are 12 months ttc & about 2 months ago I had tests and everything came back clear (ultra sound & bloods) the doc told us that 30% of perfectly healthy couples with nothing wrong never conceive (I'm sure you didn't want to hear that, as I didn't either but I thought I should let you know) anyway another 2 months if disappointment the doc sent dh for a SA (semen analysis) & wasn't to confident with the results, so sent us to Melbourne IVF as their results are even more accurate - turns out DH has above average poor abnormal sperm morphology and we have been sent to see a fs (took over 6 weeks to get in) but we see him in 2 weeks & I'm really excited to hopefully take steps to finally getting a bun in the oven!!!
    I'd go to your doc, have the basic testing done for both of you & ask to see a fs.... Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just wish we did this sooner :-/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You have every right to feel gipped. I think by the 12 month mark of TTC you really are banging your head against the wall screaming WTF MAN?

As a PP said, infertility doesn't discriminate. Even 'risk factors' for infertility are somewhat redundant, as you could have someone with PCOS, or low sperm count/bad quality and can still conceive, while others can't (naturally and/or assisted). It seems to come down to luck of the draw more than anything.

Obviously though, there are fertility issues that can be identified and hopefully corrected. Things like blocked tubes, endometriosis, lack of ovulation etc.
    Even sperm health can be improved also (unless there's some chromosomal or DNA issues going on - different kettle of fish there).
    My DH has anti-sperm antibodies (IgA), and my FS told me specifically that there is nothing you can do about that - once they're there, they will always be there. However the last test he had done showed 0% anti-bodies! Conundrum!
    My DH is also very healthy, a little overweight, but healthy in every other sense of the word.

I guess my point here is that while there is a lot known about fertility, there's also a lot that isn't known. And even small disturbances within the body can affect reproduction, things as simple as vitamin deficiencies!
    I've even read about incompatibility of immune systems between a couple. There's so many factors to consider with fertility, it's mind boggling.
    But at the end of the day, if there is sperm, an egg and a uterus, there is always hope.

Have you considered or tried natural therapies? Like a naturopath or acupuncture?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like other pp have said, there are a tonne of reasons you could not be UTD. Sperm issues, blocked tubes, fibroids, egg quality - until you see a FS you won't know and will continue to bang your head against that wall. My DH and I visited a FS two weeks ago. All our blood tests and ultrasounds have come back normal. DH did a sperm analysis this morning which we should get results in January.

We only had 8 months of TTC until I demanded my GP send me to a FS. I don't want to waste time if there is an issue. If there's not then we just keep trying until the 12 months mark when they will decide whether we should go down the IVF path.

Any FS will tell you that only a small percentage of healthy fertile couples fall pregnant within a year of trying. Usually people don't talk about their struggles to fall pregnant so it might feel like everyone else did it easily but usually there is a story involving miscarriage and many months/years of trying that they didn't share...