+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks JohnC, really good info. I'm putting together some similar stats, and would love to be able to see stats per clinic. I really doubt whether this is available, but wonder if you have ever been able to obtain this information? ie. which clinics are the most prolific in each state? Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by simmoh View Post
    ... would love to be able to see stats per clinic. I really doubt whether this is available, but wonder if you have ever been able to obtain this information? ie. which clinics are the most prolific in each state?
    Governments go to great lengths to protect such information about both providers and private hospitals. There are a few exceptions, such as notifiable diseases, but otherwise even accredited rearchers cannot get such data. A journalistic approach is required, with which I've had some success in a couple of specific cases

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks JohnC, really good info. I'm putting together some similar stats, and would love to be able to see stats per clinic. I really doubt whether this is available, but wonder if you have ever been able to obtain this information? ie. which clinics are the most prolific in each state? Thanks.
    No offence, but it seems to me that you and JohnC are a little bit obsessed about this. For what purpose would you want to collect such information?

BTW, welcome to Bubhub. Interesting first post.
    Last edited by Father; 24-12-2011 at 18:03. Reason: added welcome

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (06-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    lol irony

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (06-05-2012),JohnC  (24-12-2011),Luna Lovegood  (24-12-2011),Witwicky  (24-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    15% is much better then it used to be. Hopefully we can get under 5% in the future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    For what purpose would you want to collect such information?
    ... empirical questions require empirical answers, not wishful thinking or guesses. The fact, for instance, that in regional Western Australia we can correlate higher rates of circumcision for "phimosis" with higher appendectomy rates, and in turn with a higher mean age of GPs, tells us a number of important things about the penetration of medical best-practice guidelines in that vast but sparsely populated part of the world.

You cannot make data correlations without data, and without correlations you cannot form useful hypotheses. That's how science works .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    ... empirical questions require empirical answers,

You cannot make data correlations without data, and without correlations you cannot form useful hypotheses. That's how science works .
    Aaaah. Couldn't agree with you more. You just have to remember that correlation doesn't mean causation.
    Maybe you should join me in the Climategate 2.0 thread in the News & Current Affairs section.
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...limategate-2.0
    Last edited by Father; 24-12-2011 at 19:12. Reason: added link

Thanks
    Reviews
    ..are a little bit obsessed about this. For what purpose would you want to collect such information?
    I'm quite active in the intactivist community here in Australia, and I like to be as informed as I can be to prepare for these activities. Specifically, I'm interested in collecting stats to show that Medicare is funding non-therapeutic circumcisions in Australia. I really don't mind if I come across as being 'obsessed' with protecting children from what I believe to be a damaging procedure. btw, I'm not here to be forcing my opinions on anyone - just answering your question on my motivations. Thank you for the welcome.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to simmoh For This Useful Post:

Bexta  (26-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Maybe you should join me in the Climategate 2.0 thread in the News & Current Affairs section.
    I could, but I don't think you'd like the results -- hint: I'm not a climate-change sceptic
    I'm interested in collecting stats to show that Medicare is funding non-therapeutic circumcisions in Australia.
    We don't need stats for that, and the HIC is already aware that it is part-funding more than 20,000 non-therapeutic procedures a year. And courtesy of the pro-circ folk (nods to Father), we even know who the main providers are. But things get a bit trickier from there. PM me if you want to discuss the matter further.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

James Mac  (25-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The decrease in Queensland may be partially due to maverick Terry Russell cutting back from 4,000 to only "2,000" circumcisions a year as he is approaching retirement. He is also not so actively promoting circumcision in the media and parenting forums as much.

Also it appears the highest rate is in NSW because of the larger Muslim population there.
    Last edited by Veve; 02-05-2012 at 23:48. Reason: removal of comment - please do not link a Drs name to the word fraud on the open forum - link to documentation instead