+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Final circumcision figures for 2010-11

Now that the ABS has released it population data for the last financial year, we can calculate the circumcision rate for preschool aged boys (ie aged 0-4 years).

Nationally there were 755,730 boys in that cohort and 21,145 Medicare rebates, so the cumulative rate for the year to June 2011 was 14.0%.

Note that public hospitals no longer offer elective circumcision so these figures include all procedures except:
    • "Medically necessary" circumcisions performed by hospital doctors on public patients.
    • Circumcisions performed outside a medical setting (ie mohels).
    • Circumcisions eligible for a rebate but not claimed by the parents.
    This probably accounts for about another 1 per cent, making the final, total rate for boys aged 0-4 years about 15%.

The absolute number of rebates declined in all States and the NT (there were 5 more in the ACT), with the largest fall being in Queensland, from 6,190 to 4,543, bringing the rate in that State down from 19.4% to the national average. The highest rate was NSW, at almost 20%, and the lowest was Tasmania at 2.5%. Victoria and WA were both around 10%, SA somewhat higher and the ACT and NT less.

The rates for older boys remain small (less than 1% for each five-year cohort) and stable, suggesting these procedures are medically indicated rather than elective.

Most circumcisions were performed on boys aged under 6 months (18,503) with a rate for that cohort of 12.2%.

This gentle fall in the rate can be expected to continue over the next decade as the proportion of fathers who are themselves intact increases.
    Last edited by JohnC; 03-04-2012 at 11:35. Reason: corrected Tas figure

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (23-12-2011),jaesmummy  (28-12-2011),James Mac  (25-02-2012),Witwicky  (23-12-2011),WorkingClassMum  (22-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default circumcision rates in Australia

Thanks John for those figures. It is worth mentioning that at least 1% of the 15% circed are muslim, so the decline amougst non muslims would be even more pronounced. We have had an influx of muslims in recent years.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for that John.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Okay, I'm confused and my math is terrible but how is 21,145 14% of 755,730? I calculate it to be less than 3%? Unless I missed something and there was some other figure?

Either way, yay for a decline in circumcisions!

Sent from my Nokia 5110 using Bub Hub

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (23-12-2011),Wippy  (06-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    we see more of a decrease in the next 5 years.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    we see more of a decrease in the next 5 years.
    Very good news

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    ... how is 21,145 14% of 755,730? I calculate it to be less than 3%?
    That's because it's a cumulative risk rate. We are talking about a five-year cohort (0-4 years), so we have to multiply the number of rebates by 5 to get the numerator. What it tells us is the proportion of boys born in 2010-11 who will be circumcised by their fifth birthday. Concretely, it means that about 85 per cent of boys starting school in 2015 will be intact.
    Last edited by JohnC; 23-12-2011 at 12:58. Reason: clarified and expanded

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Thanks John for those figures. It is worth mentioning that at least 1% of the 15% circed are muslim, so the decline amougst non muslims would be even more pronounced. We have had an influx of muslims in recent years.
    The religion breakdown from the 2011 Census will not be published until next year, but based on trends from the last Census, I expect that at least 2.5% of circumcisions can be attributed to Muslim adherence and a further 1% are Jewish. This means the rate of secular circumcision for preschool boys would in fact be around 11.5% for 2010-11.

Put another way, almost a quarter of all circumcisions in this age group are for religious reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for the info JohnC!

I shared it with my intactivist friends on Facebook... some are asking for a link the the study/article? If you could link me, that would be awesome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexta View Post
    I shared it with my intactivist friends on Facebook... some are asking for a link the the study/article?
    Umm ... the author is me . I maintain a database of medical, hospital, social and demographic statistics covering a range of issues, including circumcision.

In this case, the data is fairly easy to obtain: rebate data comes from the online Medicare statistics database (items 30653 and 30656), and demographic data from the ABS ERP spreadsheets, released on Monday. (It should be noted that prior to 2010, incidence estimates for circumcision are greatly confounded by the availability of elective circumcision in public hospitals, which require complicated data extraction procedures.)

I have good quality data on circumcision in Australia going back to 1940s, so if you want further information, data tables etc, don't hesitate to PM me.
    Last edited by JohnC; 23-12-2011 at 18:53. Reason: clarity

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

Bexta  (23-12-2011)