+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    $200 a week on food?? We easily get by on less than $100 on food! So absolutely, it's possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    definently do-able and some weeks you'll do it for even less which will help on the weeks you need extras

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I feed my family of 7 (3 adults, 1 teen boy, 11yr and 9yr girls and 3yr boy) on less. It is very doable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Absolutely - here's what helps us
    - Don't use Coles/Woolies as your place to shop... use when needed for things you can't get elsewhere cheaper, for us that's bi-monthly for coffee, TP, tinned tomatoes, dog food etc
    - Find a farmer's market or farmgate seller for your fruit & veg
    - Same for meat if possible - or enquire at abattoirs for direct to public sales
    - Definitely cloth nappies, you won't regret it
    - List and STICK TO IT (this one is tricky for me sometimes)
    - Cook from scratch, cook in bulk, freeze and also embrace simple meals i.e. fresh vegies and bread, eggs etc
    - Backyard hens and/or vegie garden if possible

Good luck

ETA Just wanted to add doing all these things also makes it possible to afford more organic items if that is of interest to your family
    Last edited by BornToBe; 22-12-2011 at 16:04.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

jenrose  (03-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are you kidding me!!!!! I spend less than that on a family of 6 with two in nappies and one on formula!!!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pawzette For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (22-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pawzette, I gotta say I agree. Each to their own and all but I can't fathom spending that amount on food per fortnight let alone per week...and we eat well so..I don't know.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MothersInstinct View Post
    I don't shop at Aldi and all our Fruit&Veg is as top of the range as it gets - it comes fresh from the farm straight to our doorstep, Our meat aswell and we still managa under $150pw
    Do you use Aussie Farmers Direct? They don't deliver here as yet I think my down fall is just under 2L of A2 milk a day (we all eat cereal for b.fast) and we all eat a full salad sandwich or wrap for lunch and either salad or steamed veg for dinner plus we all eat 2 serves of fruit a day buying that much f&v from Coles costs heaps unfortunately the only cheaper place I have found sells grade 6-7 and it always goes off within 2 days. We already make everything from scratch *pats thermy*.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Easily! We 'splurge' and spend $150 some weeks.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Very doable. There are three adults, one toddler and two babies in this house and we spend $100-$150 per week on groceries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Do you use Aussie Farmers Direct? They don't deliver here as yet I think my down fall is just under 2L of A2 milk a day (we all eat cereal for b.fast) and we all eat a full salad sandwich or wrap for lunch and either salad or steamed veg for dinner plus we all eat 2 serves of fruit a day buying that much f&v from Coles costs heaps unfortunately the only cheaper place I have found sells grade 6-7 and it always goes off within 2 days. We already make everything from scratch *pats thermy*.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app
    Yes, Aussie farmers direct - I feel your pain they didn't deliever to my last address and the amount our grocery bill went up was ridiculous - We also eat atleast 2 serves fruit and 5serves veg a day and their fruit and veg boxes are great value and the produce is great. A2 milk would be a killer almost $5 for a 2litre bottle, we also get our milk delievered by AFD Meat is sometimes delievered by AFD but we usually get it straight from the abbattoir. I hope they deliever to your area soon, they really are great Have you tried the freshfarmers markets for fresh produce?