+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Unhappy Is this discrimination???

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but i need to VENT!

Just got my Annual pay review and while everyone else has got at least a 5-10% rise i've got a 2%, Work know's about my pregnancy and i'm wondering if they have taken this into account when working out my pay.....

I'm not complaining that i got it, anything is better than nothing, i just don't see why everyone else in the branch got a higher one than me...

I understand that i'm in admin and normally they don't get high pay and without a manager in my corner to vouch for everything i do here no one really know's in higher management my workload...

Feels like everying i do here goes unnoticed by the new regional manager, where the old one was Great he faught for me and knew how much i did and do in the branch....

Doesn't help that the parts guy is dancing around going on about how he's jumped $4k+ a year....

so is it discrimination that i think they have taken pregnancy into account??? also i'm still not on what previous girl in my role was on a year...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Different positions generally get different pay increases as they have different job descriptions.

I wouldn't be alleging discrimination until you have spoken to the manager about his reasons for a 2% increase and asking about your performance.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

hoping28  (22-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be professionally ask why.
    Set up a meeting and do it properly . It doesn't seem fair

5. The Following User Says Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

hoping28  (22-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would set up a meeting, but go in knowledgable (not just complaining), and come from the angle of is there more you should be doing, does the payrise reflect something you arent doing correctly that way it looks like your being proactive about seeking advice/guidance in your role.

Did you get a payrise last year, and was it more than 2%? If it is I would be asking why you received less.

If you havent been in the position since then, do you know what the annual payrise generally is for that position? Is it inline with what previous people have had?

Are you sure of peoples increases (there not just big noting themselves?)

I hate talking about money, I work for a govt so we all get exactly the same pay increases but if I didnt I would never dream of bragging about an increase! how rude of that guy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are these people that got 10% in a different position to you or do they all have the exact same contract and job description as you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Uh-Oh - Last year was a 5% rise, but i also had a manager and regional manager who knew how much i did... the regional manager has since changed and he isn't as people friendly as the other one... and we haven't had a manager since August....

Emzy - I'm in admin, he is in parts sales, i do a little more than is required by job description because that is what the girl previously in my role did so i just took on what she did....

What annoys me most is that he was doing a dance and going on about his....then i got one of the other guys to drop me off to pick up work car and he was saying it is performance based so everyone gets the 2% but if you performed more you get a higher one... So basically i haven't performed.....

the regional manager is coming up here in jan to induct the new manager so might just have a talk to him about it..... cause i should at least be on what previous girl was...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you need qualifications for your job? Maybe that's why the previous girl was on a higher amount? I know when I worked as a PA, everytime I did an extra course I'd get a payrise...

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot more than performance is considered in pay rises. The type of job done, the market rate for similar roles, length of time with the company, the financial position of the company. There is a whole science behind remuneration!

How long had the girl who was there before been there? And how much previous experience did she have? When I left my last job I know the girl who took over from me started on $8k a year less than what I finished on however that was fair because That was the entry pay for the job and I'd earned that $8k in increases over 4.5 years in the job.

That said though if you really think it's not fair then I would do what others have suggested. Request a meeting with the appropriate manager, and be prepared! List down everything you do over and above your position description. Rather than going in saying "it's not fair" ask them how they came up with your pay rise figure. They may have a reasonable explanation. If they haven't taken into consideration your performance, I'd run through the reasons why you think you deserve a larger pay rise.

Just out of interest, do you have regular performance reviews?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Leah - We are supposed to have them but without a manager we haven't had any this year....guessing they will get done when regional manager is here in jan...
    and i've been basically running the show from the sidelines....
    Think the previous girl had been here 4 years not sure though...

Emzy - i did ask about courses but didn't get any info and now i'm UTD it's not really worth it as i won't be coming back after maternity leave...

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your work know that your not coming back afterwards then I could see why they aren't giving you a bigger pay rise...