+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Safe n sound convertible car seats...?

I have got a capsule for bubs that clips into my pram, but have recently been given some money and am thinking about buying a good car seat now so I don't have to worry about finding the money later.

I have heard great things about the meridian ahr, by safe and sound... But they are quiet pricey so I would like any other suggestions as well

My current capsule will last until buba is around 9kg, so ideally I want one that can be converted. I like the idea of having the ahr that tilts also...

Any thoughts?

Proudly brought to you by Mumma Puffins portable telecommunication device!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the safe and sound meridian for dd, will be buying another one for this baby. I think it's $449 at the moment at Baby Bunting which is on sale I thought they were closer to $600 normally. Forgive me if I'm wrong pregnant brain lol! They can use it to age 4 and I'm pretty sure if you're in an accident Safe and Sound will replace it for you for free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well, I am just on person, and my experience may not be 'usual' but - I bought a $500 fancy schmancy seat for ds, it was from 8+ kgs and turns into a booster. It was the 'safest' on the market and it was big and 'luxury' looking and all that. Anyway, it certainly doesn't 'feel' safe, i didn't know until I had dd's to compare it with, but it doesn't feel anchored down at all. It is very 'moveable' and both the seatbelt and the restraint are as tight as possible. Also, the straps twist unbearably often and the buckle jams. I have to take it apart and run it under hot water regularly.

DDs I purchased a baby love infant convertible (forward/rear facing) (under the strong recommendation of the sales lady) mainly because it was compact and I have a Festiva. At first I was wary, I thought the expensive ones were safer, but It is as firm as you could ever ask a seat to be. It feels like its attached to the seat. the straps have never twisted once in 15 months, And I loved being able to keep her rearward facing for so long (it went to 12kgs before having to turn).
    My friend also has a safe n sound and will not be buying another safe n sound.

So, yeah. My experience : is expensive does not always equal the best.
    Hope that helps at least a little.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Expensive/best brand doesn't always mean best/safest.

Do a search for the safety of restraints and go from there. Some of the cheaper ones have more stars for safety than the ridiculously expensive ones!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Here are the safety test results: http://www.crep.com.au/crep-results.php

Looking at that, the Meridian gets excellent results in both rear and forward-facing

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I love my meridian (it's the older ahr style) as the above poster mentioned it got great results but the key for me is the seat belt lock off clip, it's a huge huge help when we have to move the car seats around, given that a lot of seats are installed incorrectly I think it's important it's as easy as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hunnybun1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure if you're in an accident Safe and Sound will replace it for you for free.
    Correct. I have also heard their customer service is fantastic.

We got the S&S Meridian AHR for DS and it was fantastic. I had no concerns about it at all and felt he was very safe and secure in it. We recently bought him a Maxi-rider so we can use the Meridian for Bub when she arrives.

So while it is pricey, it had the best ratings at the time for safety and will do both kids. So for us, it was well worth it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We had a meridian. And I wouldn't have had anything else!