+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    http://bellbirdretreat.blogspot.com

This is my friends experience with building/designing their home, alot of work but awesome tips in there they built with plantation homes from scratch xx

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyGuts For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're in the process of building right now with an independent builder (not metricon, plantation or the other big guys). So far the advice above is what I would have said. Other things I've learned:

a. get rid of as many P.S.s and P.Cs as you can. Go to the cabinet makers (and lighting guys, and wardrobe people and tile shops) with a design and pick everything right down to the handles. That way you know EXACTLY how much you are paying. No nasty surprises.

b. take your plans to the vacant lot with some star pickets and stake it out. Then walk through your "house" and get a feel for it. We ended up increasing a room size because we did this and it was well worth the effort. Once the slab is poured it's very hard to fix.

c. stay on top of your builder. Go and visit the house 2-3 times per week. If you need to make a standing appointment then do that. Don't be afraid to tell them something is wrong and they need to fix it.

d. Make HEAPS of copies of your plans and think about where you want lights, data points and powerpoints. When you meet with the electrician you won't be humming and haaing over what you want. He/She may have other suggestions for you too.

e. get everything in the contract/quote. It may seem expensive at the time but you're going to pay it out anyway. For example the cost of the driveway or turf/landscaping

f. don't be afraid to get an outside quote. I saved $6000 on my kitchen by getting another quote and I felt much more confident with the new cabinet maker.

Hope that helps.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CDNinOZ For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppyGuts View Post
    http://bellbirdretreat.blogspot.com

This is my friends experience with building/designing their home, alot of work but awesome tips in there they built with plantation homes from scratch xx
    Oh cool blog!!
    Last edited by NancyBlackett; 28-12-2011 at 19:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thank you - that's a fantastic blog! They did a great job, and so interesting to read

Thanks
    Reviews
    CDNinOZ - thank you - lots of really good advice there! Very good tip about doing the walkthrough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyB View Post
    Oh sorry I misread your post!

It is a tough call. I think I would lean towards an architect because they do have some very clever design ideas as well as a good idea of how spaces can be workable taking into a count all your wants and needs.

Whereas a design and build firm would be more focused on making it quicker and easier (for them) to build.

Does the architect have to oversee? Often try will have a builder they know and trust who they can pass their vision onto.
    The architect we spoke to said that they don't oversee, but that we could pay a retainer for them to do so. I'm not sure there would be a need, but it's one of those things that starts you wondering once you hear that they can do it...!