+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My sister is planning hers there in April.
    She is getting married at Pimalai on Koh Lanta.

It is driving me insane, but more because she is being a selfish cow.
    She thinks its fine to ask us to buy pricey dresses and shoes and accomodation and flights.
    The whole thing is going to cost me loads. DH has to take time off and i dont want to take my kids to Thailand.
    She is so mad that hardly anyone has said yes. But its a lot to ask.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    My sister is planning hers there in April.
    She is getting married at Pimalai on Koh Lanta.

It is driving me insane, but more because she is being a selfish cow.
    She thinks its fine to ask us to buy pricey dresses and shoes and accomodation and flights.
    The whole thing is going to cost me loads. DH has to take time off and i dont want to take my kids to Thailand.
    She is so mad that hardly anyone has said yes. But its a lot to ask.
    Bridezilla or what?? Far out, that does seem like a huge ask

Ok, I just contacted the wedding planner that we are going to use, and hopefully she can answer my questions more in depth. I realise being a forum, every one is going to have had different experiences and information.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were married in greece last may. Signed papers n got the certificate (all in Greek) had to be translated by an RTA approved translator before I was able to change my name. That's all I did. Chickie was right earlier, no BDM registration needed...perk of getting married o/s.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thank you so much everyone
    Spoke to DF this morning and he isn't fussed, and neither am I. As long as the marriage is recognised here and all that then we are happy. A lot of immigrants who got married in another country have their marriage recognised over here (though, not sure how polygamous marriages etc would work here but I don't think I need to know ) so surely if we got married in another country I think its a non issue. No need for a Aust. Marriage Certificate, really.
    Now to plan! I wish he would just put in for his leave already so we can set a definite date!

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    How exciting! Im strangely really excited for you haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let me know how you go bell as this is one option DP, i mean DF and I are considering!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    Let me know how you go bell as this is one option DP, i mean DF and I are considering!!
    We have scrapped the idea, seems WAY too complicated to have a legitimate wedding in Thailand.

The legal marriage registration process is as follows:
    *A visit to the appropriate Embassy(s) in Bangkok to complete an 'affidavit to marry'. Both parties will need to complete individual affidavits.
    *If you have previously been married, you may also need to complete an additional form verifying your freedom to marry.
    *The completed affidavits will then be translated into Thai.
    *The forms will then need to be authorised by the Thai Foreign Ministry in Bangkok.
    *Once all documents are authorised, you will visit the local government office (Amphur) to complete the legal marriage certificate. You are now legally married!
    *Your legal marriage certificate and accompanying documentation is then translated into English.
    *The translated legal marriage certificate and accompanying documentation is then authorised by the Thai Foreign Ministry in Bangkok.

If you do all of the above by yourself you could be in Bangkok for 3 days! There are some services that will transport you and help you through the process so you are only in Bangkok for 1 day (Creative Events Asia is one that was recommended to me - lots of info on their website). You can get a Amphur official (so you don't have to spend so much time in Bangkok, and can have your marriage date the same as your ceremony date) to go to your ceremony, but its an additional cost and is also dependant on exactly where you are planning on getting married.

All in all, we have decided to do a registry wedding here in Perth and then jump on the plane to Thailand and have a fake wedding for the fun of it (oh, and photos too!) while there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    we had our honeymoon in thailand, it is just such an amazing place. my fav is koh lanta island.
    just do the registry thing (just think of it as the paperwork) and have your actual wedding/ceremony there.
    your wedding is about you and what you want, what feels special and meaningful to you - i've always told hubby if we ever wanted to renew our vows it would be in thailand as we go for a month every year.
    trust me, the boring paperwork registry office here will be completely overshadowed by your real marriage in thailand - when you are relaxed, with your children, looking into each others eyes and smelling those beautiful orchids.
    oh, and a cocktail

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got married in Thailand in 2009. After looking into the legal side of things to get it recognized here in Australia decided to do it a little differently. We had a dinner at our fav restaurant the night before with a celebrant, immediate family only (mum/dad/ sister and bothers) and signed all the legal paperwork to have a legal marriage, then left first thing in the morning for a our amazing wedding in Phuket with all of our family and friends. We were very happy with it all