+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    Ok, I am a bit confused. I called BDM to find out information about getting married OS and registering the marriage. She said the marriage will be recognised, but couldn't be registered in Australia. I've just been told on another forum that people they know have had to re-do their vows in Australia as their weddings in Thailand weren't recognised in Australia.
    I am majorly confused now

Help??
    Yes you have to register and do your public declaration in Australia to get an Australian marriage certificate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    Yes you have to register and do your public declaration in Australia to get an Australian marriage certificate
    But the marriage will still be recognised even if I don't have an Australian Marriage Certificate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    But the marriage will still be recognised even if I don't have an Australian Marriage Certificate?
    I think you can either get married legally in Thailand and then get the thai cerificate sworn, translated and registered with Aust embassy and then use that document to register marriage in Australia, or you can simply do the legalities in Australia and have a ceremony that isn't necessarily legally registered/binding in Thailand since you are already officially on paper married in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sounds confusing.
    I'd rather have it all done in one, ceremony and wedding, rather than faffing about at Australian registry offices and all that.
    Might have to give Australian Embassy a call and see what they say, no one has suggested anything to do with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Exciting!!!!!!!!
    I got married in my folks lounge room so no help really. (Its a beautiful lounge so no daggy 70's carpet or anything)
    Anyway, a friend did get married in Thailand years ago and when she got divorced it was a major pain in the rear end. Not that you will ever get divorced but something to think about......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Though, I don't really care about having an official Australian Marriage Certificate. The lady on the phone said as long as we are over 18 and aren't currently married then the marriage will be recognised and doesn't need to be registered in any way in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Though, I don't really care about having an official Australian Marriage Certificate. The lady on the phone said as long as we are over 18 and aren't currently married then the marriage will be recognised and doesn't need to be registered in any way in Australia.
    Do you care about having an official Thai marriage certificate? That might make it easier too if you don't feel the need to have any 'officiality' (ok im making up words). I'm just wondering whether you want to be fanged with the Thai business end either.

Anyway - onto more exciting things - Thailand is beautiful and the beach settings are amazing so hope you have a beautiful wedding. I'm off to another one in Phuket early next year - cant wait to get back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by MrsOC; 28-12-2011 at 07:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okkkkaaay.
    Well, all we want to do is go to Thailand, and get married there. We don't really care to have a traditional Thai wedding. We just want to go there, and have the ceremony there and get officially married. We have 2 kids to cart around with no family and friends to help, so going to registry office here, or bankok or what ever is not something we want to do. The point in eloping is to make it easy
    As long as what ever marriage certificate we get is recognised as a marriage here in Australia then I am happy.

I am beyond confused now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So if you want to get 'officially married' you either need to follow the legalities in Australia or in Thailand. Personally I would do a registry marriage here and have a fantastic ceremony and party in Thailand. Loads easier than dealing with a foreign country's administration/laws.

(it has nothing to do with having a traditional Thai wedding - just that you said you want to be officially married somewhere)