+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Because I loved Santa as a kid and want that for jasper.

I wasn't really going to *do* Santa this year yet. Jasper is 3. But I'm amazed how much he seems to get Santa and love Santa books, Santa hats, obviously daycare has helped with this he's excited and bewildered by Santa in shopping Centres. So I did go out and buy $25 worth of cheapish toys 'from Santa' just to play this wonderful game of make believe with him.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (21-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I "do" Santa only because that is how I was raised.
    When I was 4 years old, we moved to The Netherlands. I lived there for nearly 20 years, so I can say I was raised in a Dutch way.
    We celebrate "Saint Nicolaas day". St Nicolaas was born on the 6th of December and he was the patron saint of children. This is why we always did the presents for kids and not for adults.
    When we moved back to Australia, I assumed that is what they did in Australia with Santa Clause. Santa Clause being Saint Nicolaas and being the patron of the children. So that is why I believe in gifts for the kids from Santa Clause only.

I do not understand why I would give DS gifts from Santa as well as from me. I dont mind giving all the glory to Santa as one day DS will figure out he doesn't exist anyway and that i have been buying all his presents.
    If I want to give him extra presents just because I love him, I will do so on his birthday. Not with Christmas though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    Because Santa was the most amazing, magical time for me as a kid! I have the BEST memories of Christmas and I couldn't imagine not giving my children the same experience.
    I'm the same!
    My dad also is a huge Christmas fanatic and always tells us this story; my mums family are Jewish and never celebrated Christmas/Santa but the first Christmas after they were married they were living with dads parents and she got to experience the magic/fun of it all (nan always had a stocking for dad even though he was 21!) that next year dad was conscripted and was sent to Vietnam in September 1968 for 12 months, mum still lived with his family and nan was so upset he would be away for Christmas so mum got his Christmas stocking ( plus sent 3 more for his best mates) and filled them with Christmas cakes, lollies and decks of cards and sent it to Vietnam addressed to my dad from Santa, he received it a week before Christmas and hid them his bag, he was in an mobile army camp with over 60 soldiers in the middle of the jungle at war at 21 years of age, Christmas eve he put out their stockings at the end of their sleeping bags, his mates teased him but the next morning when they woke up the Christmas stockings were full! He said the whole camp were laughing and telling everyone Santa came while they sat around and shared all the goodies, he said seeing grown men crying because they were away from their families at Christmas but seeing them all smile when "Santa " came to give them some treats made him realize that Santa can have the same effect on adults as well as kids and no matter how old you get the memories of Santa coming when you are a child always stay with you and that he vowed never to be away from mum or his family for Christmas again ( he hasn't) and at 65 still puts the same stocking out ( mum still puts ours out too and still fusses over dad and buys him presents from Santa) my brother and sister and I whether married/single/divorced etc have never missed waking up Christmas morning with my parents even though we left home nearly 20 odd years ago!

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

3InATub  (23-12-2011),amiee  (23-12-2011),BH-KatiesMum  (23-12-2011),Bluest Blue Box  (22-12-2011),Californication  (21-12-2011),dreadlockfairy  (22-12-2011),lovelymum  (22-12-2011),Pesca77  (22-12-2011),TimTamsandTea  (23-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The magic of Santa is something that I would never ever contemplate denying my son and any other child in my life. I was watching the Today show this morning and they have someone on talking about the route that Santa will take to get to Australia and I was grinning from ear to ear thinking of the excitment that I felt listening to news like that as a child.

I love that children still have the innocence to believe that Santa, flying reindeers, elves etc exists and in some ways I eny them.

The look on a child's face when they see the presents on Christmas morning, the carrots half eaten, crumbs of cookies left it brings so much joy to them and to me.

I do not understand why people choose not to follow the Santa story (aside from religious reasons that is) and I am glad that I was raised with him being a part of Christmas as my memories are so good that I want to share them with DS for as long as possible.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My favourite memories as a child involved Santa. I remember the sheer excitement I felt leading up to Xmas, and I could hardly sleep the night before. The whole concept is pure magic, it's just so fun and exciting. Other parts of Xmas were awesome too of course, but Santa was the best.

I couldn't imagine not giving that to my kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can't imagine not doing it. I used to get so excited choosing snacks to leave out for him, lying there thinking I could hear the reindeer on the roof and waking up early to see if he'd liked my biscuits and I want that for my kids too.

DS is only just over 2 so doesn't get the concept yet, but I reckon next year he will and I'm looking forward to making biccies with him for Santa and seeing his little face light up in the morning when they are gone and there is an extra present for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Christmas eve he put out their stockings at the end of their sleeping bags, his mates teased him but the next morning when they woke up the Christmas stockings were full! He said the whole camp were laughing and telling everyone Santa came while they sat around and shared all the goodies, he said seeing grown men crying because they were away from their families at Christmas but seeing them all smile when "Santa " came to give them some treats
    That is a wonderful story. What lovely parents you have! I bet those men never forgot your Dad's kindness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do it to keep the magic of christmas spirt alive. Loved it growning up, still do now. My kids love santa and love all the magic of christmas. We'll always beliefe in santa and the magic of christmas

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's funny because when the kids start asking about Santa and where he lives and what he does I start to get really defensive (not in a bad way) and I actually believe what I am telling them.
    It is magic and everybody should have a little bit of magic in their lives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just read your post Elijah's Mum and that story is the epitome of Christmas. Hope, love and magic. xxx