+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I live somewhere that gets very hot, and they do occasionally stop flights from taking off due to the heat (usually when it is around 47 - 48 degrees) and it is for a good reason. The tarmac can get so hot it can make the tires burst, and cause mechanical issues.

The hottest time of the day here is always between 5pm and 7pm.

I'd rather my DP be a little late than hurt in an incident...

But yes, it does suck for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hope you get some quality time soon.
    Last edited by lilypily; 21-12-2011 at 18:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah28 View Post
    I live somewhere that gets very hot, and they do occasionally stop flights from taking off due to the heat (usually when it is around 47 - 48 degrees) and it is for a good reason. The tarmac can get so hot it can make the tires burst, and cause mechanical issues.

I'd rather my DP be a little late than hurt in an incident...
    Is it wierd though that the earlier arvo flights were ok? I found that really wierd.

Apparently it was 43 degrees today so I'm not sure. It just seems wierd.

He's in Newman fyi.

Brain, brain, gone away, will come back another day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It might be that the Tarmac wasn't as hot earlier - you know even if it was the warmest part of the day the heat hadn't fully transferred into Tarmac.

It does suck though. Honestly delayed flights are disheartening enough when you aren't desperate to get home or desperately waiting for the person on the flight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds about right.....Could be that it takes a while for the tarmac to catch up kinda thing.

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah some places the hottest time of day is around 5pm. Its just keeps heating up over the day. They wouldn't want to delay flights at this time of year unless necessary because its such bad publicity.

Totally sucks though, for all of you. I can understand you being really disappointed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never thought about that. (yay baby brain haha)

I guess it's just one of those things especially like I said it's been a sh!tty swing for me with DD on top of Xmas, and 28 weeks pregnant.

Brain, brain, gone away, will come back another day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It sucks when the return home is delayed. My DH works away and this has happened to me several times, so i understand how that feels.
    Unfortunately sometimes flights do need to be delayed and it sounds like a valid reason to me, they wouldn't delay a flight unless they needed to. Annoying as it is it, it is also a good thing - safety is most important and if that means a later flight then so be it.
    Hope the time passes quickly until he is home

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to work for a safari company in Zimbabwe and this happened often.

It is because the aircraft cannot take off with the same amount of weight onboard (load) in hot temps as they can when it is cooler. They have a calculation based on aircraft power/load/air pressure. So the midday flight may be a different aircraft type (i.e. more powerful) or have a lower load so they did not have the same problem.

You can imagine the response from tourists in africa when they were cheerfully advised their flight was cancelled after months of planning an itinerary. Often the solution was that the flight would go.....but their luggage would follow by road!!!

Sorry it has ruined your plans but safety first and all that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I guess they are only looking out for their passengers safety. They wouldn't just cancel it for no real excuse.

Mind you, 2 years ago my aunt and uncle were visiting us in Australia. The day they went back to Europe, they were to catch a 10am quantas flight to Sydney and then a 3pm flight with Malaysian airways.
    As the plane flew into Coffs Harbour, they hit a flock of birds. Spit happens. Unfortunately it meant my aunt and uncle couldn't leave Coffs until 1pm and ofcourse missed their connecting flight in Sydney and stayed the night in a motel, paid for by Malaysian Airways, even though it wasn't their fault.

Then DS and I were going to Europe in May this year. We were to fly with Quantas from Coffs to Sydney at 10am and catch Singapore airlines at 3.15pm in Sydney.
    So at 10.30am the plane was still standing there, no luggage being loaded. We were waiting in the transit hall and DS became extremely tired, screamy and annoyed. So did I.
    I was just thinking: "please don't tell me the flight has been cancelled like my aunt and uncle's flight was last year", when the announcement came that their was a mechanical fault and indeed, the flight was cancelled.
    We were to take the next flight at 1pm and were PROMISED by Quantas we would make our connection with Singapore.

After arriving in Sydney at 2.15pm, I pretty much literately dragged poor DS along with 9kg of handluggage from the furthest end of the domestic terminal to the bus area. To top it off, the bus that was going to transfer us to the international terminal, never showed up.
    I grabbed a cabby and begged him to take us to the terminal. He had no childseat in his car, but he said to hold onto DS and he would try to get there as fast as he could. He was great and I gave him a good tip.
    We got at the checkin desk at 2.45pm and were told we missed the flight. (Even though the stupid plane was still standing there!!!)

I was hot and sweaty and absolutely sore and knackered. DS was besides himself (only 15 months old) so I threw a meltdown tantrum with him. We were both sitting there crying our eyes out
    The poor Singapore manager didn't know what to do. He offered us a free stay at a hotel for the night and to catch the next flight the next day. I didn't want that as that meant that DS wouldn't have a cot to sleep in. Plus it means more running around.
    So he eventually grabbed DS and made us run to a checkin desk from Quantas. They had 1 seat available on their flight to Singapore and that flight was about to leave. If we could get onto that flight, we could make our connection in Singapore to Amsterdam. So we ran to the gate and thanks to the help from that manager and some ground staff we managed to get onto that flight to Singapore.

We only had 55 minutes to go from one end of the Singapore terminal, to the other end to get to our gate. The airport in Singapore is asbolutely HUGE, though its only a small country. The whole main hall is at least 2km long! Luckily Singapore Airlines organized a special electric car thingo for us and this sweet lady brought us to our gate. It would've been a massive long walk without that car thing and we wouldn't have made it if we did have to walk all that way.

Ofcourse when we arrived in Amsterdam, we had NO luggage for 4 days.

The bit I don't get, is that Singapore Airlines had to pay Quantas for our flight from Sydney to Singapore and even reimbursed us for the clothes and shoes we had to buy due to our luggage missing. I don't get this. It was Quantas who broke down in the first place, so they should be picking up the bill.

All in all I was very very happy with the services of Singapore Airlines. They were also absolutely fantastic with DS. I will never ever fly Quantas again. It will be Virgin next time I have to go to Sydney.

Sorry for the long post, but the moral of this story is: Quantas, you SUCK!!!!