+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pathways to Success Program with SCU

Anyone else out there studying the above course with SCU?

It is a pathway program for uni. It would be great to hear from anyone else who is also studying this or has already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    *bump*

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did a similar program with a different uni. I highly recommend! You may be going through wondering how on earth some of it will help you when you are in a degree, but it does. The group I did this with all chose degrees with the same uni, so were able to get right into it after graduating the program. Everything they learnt, even the maths, has helped all of them maintain HD's for all subjects while other students were floundering.

It will teach you not only how to correctly plan/write a thesis and essay (which seems simple but they teach you exactly what the markers will be looking for, so you know exactly how to structure it and get the highest marks) but will also teach you time managment skills, get you to identify how you learn best (ie/ hands on, reading, watching etc) so you can implement that in your degree and it should also help you discover the career that would most appeal to you (majority of students ended up changing their degree choice part way through). We had an assignment marked by a careers councellor. For some, she was able to direct them to a different degree that was better suited to the career they wanted. Others she made suggestions that cut 3-5 years off the time it was going to take them to reach the education needed for their chosen career. Others still she was able to tell when they didn't really have a good idea about the reality of the career they wanted, so was able to educate them better on it, sometimes the students learning in horror that it wasn't really what they wanted to do.

Good luck, and enjoy it! It may seem repetitive and pointless, but it really is worth it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to monkey face For This Useful Post:

onionskin  (27-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for the reply monkey face. You have given me so much to think about. I am getting a little excited, though very nervous.

I am also hoping to get direct entry into the degree of my choice. Though as you say that may change in the future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is exciting starting! It this program one that guarantees entry upon successful completion, into any degree with the uni? If so, awesome!!

One of my lecturers told the class that pathway courses at uni's generally have a drop out rate around 70%. There weren't many of the oncampus students that dropped out, but out of almost 800 students, including distance ones, at the start of semester, just under 200 exam papers were needed- so about 600 had dropped out. I totally understood this, as it does get so repetitive and it's simple, so not much brain power is needed for it so it's easy to get bored.
    Friends I made at uni, and myself, all got through by finding something that encouraged us, that had to do with the career we wanted to go into. For me, it was nursing blogs. For another, it was volunteering for a youth help group she one day wants to work for and eventually start up a similar one of her own. Yet another kept up the desire to finish the semester by organising a 'Walk for Daniel' day, which was a huge success and ended up on the news (she did the pathway program to go into event managment). So find that something that will enforce your passion for that career and push you to keep going