+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tell me about you vegetarian Christmas Dinners...

My brothers girlfriend is a vegetarian (ethical reasons, not allergy or health), she doesn't eat meat or seafood. As far as I'm aware she is cool with dairy and eggs.

Anyway, my questions are
    •Trifle. I can't find any 'vegetarian' jelly/gelatin in my small, regional town. Is Aeroplane Jelly objectionable? What do you guys replace jelly with? I'm hoping it's nice and easy, I've got to cook the whole lunch myself, and I have 2 kids and I'm in the very tired part of pregnancy with #3.

I'm making vegetarian rissoto as a side dish, along with Cauliflower Cream Potato gratin, and roast veggies (to go with our roast pork). Should I get tofu, or veggie sausages/patties too? As in, I want her to have lots of choices, but I'm not sure if that's going overboard?

Opinions?

ETA : Dagnabbit! Spelling mistake in the title! *stomps feet*

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to be vegetarian, but had to stop as my nutrition was seriously suffering because I wasn't doing it properly.
    But the Christmas that I was, my mum bought me a vegetarian loaf roast thing, like the turkey loaf roasts that you can get. It was marinated and everything, and it was actually really nice, and it was just from the supermarket. The frozen food aisle, where the rest of that kind of stuff is

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nicoletta For This Useful Post:

Daydream Believer  (21-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My SIL would be happy to have a veto sausage on offer as well but you have already catered more than enough I think! The positive with the sausage is you can keep them in the fridge and feed them to the kids if she doesn't want it on the day - they only take a few mins to cook!

Sent from my iPad so pardon the errors!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rae81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    why dont you ask her if she would eat the jelly? depending on how you do your trifle, could she get a serve without taking jelly?

it seems like you have a few choices for her but its all 'side' things with no 'main' iykwim? on the other hand as its xmas im sure she will be stuffed no matter what!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mopoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think what you've provided is plenty as is.

Agar agar is a vegetarian gelatin substitute, but I wouldn't try it out for the first time on Christmas day. I'd ask if she has any objections to the jelly first and if she does just make up an individual bowl of trifle without jelly for her.

Good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bada For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you have offered heaps!!!

Maybe you could add some nuts/protein/legume though? Add chesse to risotto or put some pine nuts/chickpeas through the roast pumpkin? Or even some diced up haloumi through her roast vegies?

Trfile - just ask her if she wants hers with jelly or without.

eta - its so nice for you to be thinking of her but I av a vego friend and she says that when ppl do toooooooo much she gets uncomfy. Roast vegies and some risotto is more then enough I reckon.

eta 2 - i know some vegos who find the faux meat thing a bit wierd so maybe if you goign to do that check with her.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rae81 View Post
    The positive with the sausage is you can keep them in the fridge and feed them to the kids if she doesn't want it on the day - they only take a few mins to cook!

Sent from my iPad so pardon the errors!
    Perfect! Plus, she's here for a few days, we will probably use them at some point!

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a vegetarian, but we all tend to do things differently to each other! So I eat a bit of seafood, but that's it. And I HATE the fake meat products!

We're actually pretty easy to please! The risotto sounds good! I'm doing a vegetarian bake dish for dinner myself. It will have eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini, cheese, herbs - yum! Really though, if you're having a salad and have one or two dishes I'm sure that will be plenty.

Oh, and definitely ask about the jelly. Knowing what goes into making gelatin, I won't touch it with a barge pole!

Hope that helps!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bada View Post
    I think what you've provided is plenty as is.

Agar agar is a vegetarian gelatin substitute, but I wouldn't try it out for the first time on Christmas day. I'd ask if she has any objections to the jelly first and if she does just make up an individual bowl of trifle without jelly for her.

Good luck!
    Why didn't I think of that?!? Of course, I will make her some in a separate bowl! Genius!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    I think you have offered heaps!!!

Maybe you could add some nuts/protein/legume though? Add chesse to risotto or put some pine nuts/chickpeas through the roast pumpkin? Or even some diced up haloumi through her roast vegies?

Trfile - just ask her if she wants hers with jelly or without.

eta - its so nice for you to be thinking of her but I av a vego friend and she says that when ppl do toooooooo much she gets uncomfy. Roast vegies and some risotto is more then enough I reckon.

eta 2 - i know some vegos who find the faux meat thing a bit wierd so maybe if you goign to do that check with her.
    I am making spiced mixed nuts for nibbles, as well as including a jar of those and some homemade sugar peanuts in her pressie, I was hoping that would make up for the protein

Re: your friend being uncomfortable; that's exactly what I was worried about. Thanks

Eta: pine nuts in the roast pumpkin= YUM!! Just might do that!
    Last edited by Daydream Believer; 21-12-2011 at 15:06.