+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Exclamation Measuring WAY ahead.. 43cm f/h at 36 weeks

I know there's a recent "measuring ahead" thread, but mine's a bit different..

I'm 36 weeks tomorrow, I just had my antenatal appt and I'm measuring at 43 weeks .
    I've consistently been measuring ahead (although by 4 - 5 weeks, not 7), but they havent seemed too concerned until now.
    They've booked me in for an u/s tomorrow but haven't said what they're looking for..
    I was meant to be booked in for my c/s today but they're waiting til I go back in on friday with the results, as they'll "most likely do it at 39 weeks but depending on results may do it right away".. But wouldn't elaborate on what results they may be expecting?

What could the reason be? Besides a big baby?

I have seen a few different people and I know that can cause a discrepancy in the measurements as they often do it differently, but today she had 3 people check the measurement and they all came up with the same number (plus as mentioned, been measuring ahead for awhile).

ps I don't have GD.. though my first test got a high result I went back for a second and it was normal.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A bit poor form to keep you in the dark like that, they could be looking for a number of things I guess, excess amniotic fluid (polyhydramnios) for one, a gigantic baby, your dates could be off, could have placenta previa, uterine fibroids, multiple birth or breech position. Or it could be just nothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had polyhydramnios for two of my pregnancies, one was mild, where I measured about 5 weeks ahead. One was severe where I measured 45 weeks at 35 weeks. Polyhydramnios is an excess of amniotic fluid. It's really quite painful when severe because you are just sooo big it hurts. I'm sure that may be why they are sending you for an ultrasound. If it is poly, you have a high chance of your membranes rupturing early. They will ask you no to go far from the hospital because when your waters break, the baby will very often settle onto the cord sending it into distress. My waters were bulging for a week and then they broke them at 36 weeks. They do it slowly and they hold the hole in the membranes so only a bit comes out at a time and they know where baby's head is. You become very intimate with your obgyn / middy at this time! Once the fluid is released, you can go ahead and have a normal vag delivery. They will check the baby thoroughly because sometimes poly is associated with problems with the baby that they can't see before hand. I'm sure if your morphology scan was fine, your baby will be fine - ours was perfect even with the poly problems. It's great that you've made it this far without being too distressed - I was terribly upset from about 33 weeks because of the pain.

It could be something else. Maybe your bub is a little bigger than expected or your dates are out. But set your mind at ease - there isn't much that can be too harmful to you or baby because you are measuring bigger at this stage.

I hope you stay well and have a wonderful delivery. You will have your baby soon lucky thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, alot more helpful then the doc was today.

Jaesmummy, I'm glad you've touched on the pain issue -

I have had ALOT of pain this pregnancy. I have what they've decided is merely a "chronic pain condition" which started at 25 weeks but at the top of my bump. That pain was investigated but nothing was found, and I still have that pain constantly but its been hugely overtaken by the pain in the lower areas. It's so small in comparison now it's almost laughable, although when it started I was in tears daily and basically living off panadeine fort tablets..

For about 6 weeks I've had horrendous pelvic and lower bump pain, I could hardly walk last wednesday so I called the middies and they said to go in as they were concerned about my previous c/s scar and about my kidneys (even though its pelvic pain, not near my kidneys). Anyway I ended up staying in overnight and they put it down to ligament pain, but I know it's more than that.
    I've been getting ligament pain too, and I remember it well from my previous pregnancy, but the pain all around the bottom of my bump and in my pelvis is beyond that. It's getting really REALLY frustrating, when they all just keep saying things along the lines of "welcome to late pregnancy, its not meant to be comfortable".. etc.. But this isn't discomfort, this is extreme pain.
    I haven't been able to sleep lying down for months, and lately I can't even sleep in a reclining position as it hurts so much.
    The last two nights I've had one then two hours sleep, as I'm in so much pain I can't get comfortable enough to fall asleep. When I stand up from sitting it takes a few minutes before I can stand up straight as it feels like everything is seizing up and it really hurts. Also bub has been engaged (and un-engaged) a few times, and when he's down low when he moves it's extremely painful.
    Pain killers do nothing and I cant walk more than a few metres without feeling like I'm cracking in half..

Does this sound like the pain you had with your polyhydramnios jaesmummy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also I'm sure of my dates, and my ultrasound measurements have come up with the same dates too.. So I don't think I'm further along.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The position of bub can change the fundal measurement.

If you have abdominal seperation (i think you do), bub may not be held in by muscles and therefore may be hanging out the front and increasing your fundal measurement.

Hope you get some answers soon,

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds just like what it felt like for me. Sorry I assumed you weren't suffering because you didn't mention the pain initially. You poor thing - I know just how you must feel. The worst part by far was not being able to sleep, I was never comfortable. From 33 weeks I was begging for help every week at the hospital. But they refused to do anything prior to 37 weeks. When I was 35 weeks I told them that I couldn't go any longer, it hurt so much I even said that if something wasn't done I would rupture my waters myself. I was sleep deprived, it hurt to walk, it hurt to sit, it hurt to move. I was desperate. They said it would be any day and to just hang on a bit longer. But nothing happened and at 36 weeks I was in such a state that they put me in to rupture my waters. The obgyn was astounded at how much fluid came out - it just kept coming. She said it saturated 5 towels! There was about 15 litres of fluid. Imagine if that had come out at the shopping centre!! Once they started releasing the fluid it was just the biggest relief ever. But my insides had been pressed so hard on my diaphragm that I started to hyperventilate. I wasn't used to being able to take a full breath! Once the fluid was gone I delivered a healthy baby boy.

Now that I've read how you're feeling I'm more convinced that it might be polyhydramnios. Just hang in there hon. One thing that I hate to admit but feel I should tell you is that after my baby was born, I had a little bit of trouble bonding with him initially. It was like I blamed him for the pain I had been in. I didn't want to hold him at first or breast feed him at first. This is a really difficult thing to admit and still makes me get upset thinking about it. So more than anything, despite how you're feeling, try to direct your anguish and frustration and hurt away from your baby. Not that you would feel the same as I did, but I thought I should tell you anyway. I still feel awfully guilty about it.

I'm afraid if it's not polyhydramnios, I don't really know what else it would be. Sorry. Keep me posted and if you have more problems or you're worried about anything please let me know. I'll give you all the heads-up I can. I'm cheering for you and sending you hugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just another spin based on what you've said about your GD tests. I was borderline for polyhydramnios last pregnancy, they told me it was actually a sign of my diabetes becoming out of control. I was testing daily and on insulin but I think my system just wasn't responding properly, even though the numbers came back in a normal range they were on the upper end of normal and my system likes the lower end. It's not a huge jump in numbers, but for me it was obviously enough to start pushing me over into physical symptoms like the poly.

If your first test came back positive but your second negative, I would be asking for another test now to rule out any GD, even if you just go to your GP to get it done. Quite a lot of women have a hormone surge at 34weeks and their blood sugars skyrocket, which can lead to a lot of symptoms suddenly occurring or getting a lot worse over the following weeks. I had a clear GD test at 28 weeks with my second bub, but it kicked in at 34weeks and she turned out to be a very large bub. It would be much better to rule out GD now before birth than be faced with a undiagnosed GD baby after birth that they are not expecting, any info you can get will help in the long run. Not saying that I definitely think you have GD, but that there are signs there that may point to it and it's worth getting it checked out so that if it's positive they have a better chance of getting on top of it after birth.

It's a really good thing that they are sending you for a scan, it will more than likely be a growth and wellbeing scan, where they check bubs size and that all their organs are functioning properly, also cord placement and level of fluid. It should give them a pretty clear indication of just what is going on, and make sure that you ask the person doing the ultrasound what they see and the results and what they mean as they go along.

Good luck though and I hope you get to meet your bub soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    The position of bub can change the fundal measurement.

If you have abdominal seperation (i think you do), bub may not be held in by muscles and therefore may be hanging out the front and increasing your fundal measurement.

Hope you get some answers soon,
    I think I do have muscle separation.. I did a bit of research on a pain (another one..), I'd been getting a little while back just under my bellybutton, and it met all the "criteria". I mentioned it at my next clinic appt and the middie just said "yeah, probably muscle separation, just gotta live with it".. which is pretty much their response to everything

But good to know it can alter fundal measurements, another thing to arm myself with if the scan today doesn't show anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jaesmummy View Post
    That sounds just like what it felt like for me. Sorry I assumed you weren't suffering because you didn't mention the pain initially. You poor thing - I know just how you must feel. The worst part by far was not being able to sleep, I was never comfortable. From 33 weeks I was begging for help every week at the hospital. But they refused to do anything prior to 37 weeks. When I was 35 weeks I told them that I couldn't go any longer, it hurt so much I even said that if something wasn't done I would rupture my waters myself. I was sleep deprived, it hurt to walk, it hurt to sit, it hurt to move. I was desperate. They said it would be any day and to just hang on a bit longer. But nothing happened and at 36 weeks I was in such a state that they put me in to rupture my waters. The obgyn was astounded at how much fluid came out - it just kept coming. She said it saturated 5 towels! There was about 15 litres of fluid. Imagine if that had come out at the shopping centre!! Once they started releasing the fluid it was just the biggest relief ever. But my insides had been pressed so hard on my diaphragm that I started to hyperventilate. I wasn't used to being able to take a full breath! Once the fluid was gone I delivered a healthy baby boy.

Now that I've read how you're feeling I'm more convinced that it might be polyhydramnios. Just hang in there hon. One thing that I hate to admit but feel I should tell you is that after my baby was born, I had a little bit of trouble bonding with him initially. It was like I blamed him for the pain I had been in. I didn't want to hold him at first or breast feed him at first. This is a really difficult thing to admit and still makes me get upset thinking about it. So more than anything, despite how you're feeling, try to direct your anguish and frustration and hurt away from your baby. Not that you would feel the same as I did, but I thought I should tell you anyway. I still feel awfully guilty about it.

I'm afraid if it's not polyhydramnios, I don't really know what else it would be. Sorry. Keep me posted and if you have more problems or you're worried about anything please let me know. I'll give you all the heads-up I can. I'm cheering for you and sending you hugs.
    Thanks heaps for replying. It's comforting to know someone else gets how I'm feeling.. so many people just brush it off as "normal pregnancy discomfort".. but this pain is crazy. I'm actually looking forward to my c/s recovery, as I know even that will hurt less.
    When did you end up delivering after they released some of your waters? Did you go on to full term or did you deliver then?
    Im hoping if this is what is going on with me, that they'll bring my c/s forward. There was talk of doing it at 38 weeks for awhile, then yesterday she said no, definitely not til 39 weeks (there was even suggestion of 39+5), and I actually burst into tears. The only saving grace for me with all this has been the prospect of having bub on Jan 5.. then to be told I have to wait until at least Jan 13 was a bit much for my overtired, hormonal self to handle.
    She ended up saying they'd wait til my appointment on fri (tomorrow) to discuss the scan results, to decide on a date then. But I think she just couldnt be bothered 'negotiating', as I'll be seeing someone else tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mum5 View Post
    Just another spin based on what you've said about your GD tests. I was borderline for polyhydramnios last pregnancy, they told me it was actually a sign of my diabetes becoming out of control. I was testing daily and on insulin but I think my system just wasn't responding properly, even though the numbers came back in a normal range they were on the upper end of normal and my system likes the lower end. It's not a huge jump in numbers, but for me it was obviously enough to start pushing me over into physical symptoms like the poly.

If your first test came back positive but your second negative, I would be asking for another test now to rule out any GD, even if you just go to your GP to get it done. Quite a lot of women have a hormone surge at 34weeks and their blood sugars skyrocket, which can lead to a lot of symptoms suddenly occurring or getting a lot worse over the following weeks. I had a clear GD test at 28 weeks with my second bub, but it kicked in at 34weeks and she turned out to be a very large bub. It would be much better to rule out GD now before birth than be faced with a undiagnosed GD baby after birth that they are not expecting, any info you can get will help in the long run. Not saying that I definitely think you have GD, but that there are signs there that may point to it and it's worth getting it checked out so that if it's positive they have a better chance of getting on top of it after birth.

It's a really good thing that they are sending you for a scan, it will more than likely be a growth and wellbeing scan, where they check bubs size and that all their organs are functioning properly, also cord placement and level of fluid. It should give them a pretty clear indication of just what is going on, and make sure that you ask the person doing the ultrasound what they see and the results and what they mean as they go along.

Good luck though and I hope you get to meet your bub soon!
    Thanks for that, I'll bring it up at my appointment tomorrow and get them to re-check. (horrendous timing though as the antenatal clinic closes over xmas for anything other than emergencies and labours ).. If they won't go for it (I'm extremely unimpressed with the hopsital, for many many reasons, and they don't seem to take too well to patients making requests or pointing things out that they may have overlooked..), then I'll see my gp on saturday and get a referral then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I didn't have to wait - had the baby in 3 hours! I hope you find out some more tomorrow and they let you deliver a bit earlier. Let me know how you go - if you don't mind, I'd be really interested to see what the scan says too. Good luck hon.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jaesmummy For This Useful Post:

danielle13  (22-12-2011)