+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default At my wits end, tried everything and nothing works

DS is waking between 3.30 and 4 every single morning and not resettling. I've tried feeding, patting, walking with him in arms, rocking, lullabys, patting, Babybliss, even leaving him to cry for short periods because I was absolutely losing my cool. I'm not proud of that and I don't believe in CC, and it certainly hasn't worked for him. He will no longer settle in my bed. He goes down for naps and sleeps easily with a cuddle and a pay for about 30 seconds, I leave when he's still awake and he settles without a peep.

His windows are blacked out and it doesn't make a difference.

He's 11 months old next week.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Probaby not helpful, but my brother woke by 4 and has done for the last 34 years, now his 7mo son does the same. It might be worth putting him near you with some toys or matbe once he wakes you can do feed, nappy change,then put him back in his cot with some toys or soft books, touch and feel type books. Keep him occupied while you sleep another hour or so.
    Last edited by share a book; 21-12-2011 at 06:40. Reason: Cat helped me type

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    But 3.30 though? That's still night time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep, he was up *by* 4 every morning. Often earlier, never later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh god I hope this is just a phase then because I can't function waking up so early every single day. He's got no energy during the day and is so cranky, not eating much of anything and wanting to breastfeed all day, when he was sleeping longer he was happier.

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    What time is he going to bed at night? Can you make it a little later? If he's really awake, it's kind of a waste of time to even try to resettle. Hopefully it's just a phase. I remember when Andrew started doing that, and eventually I just got up with him, plonked him in the lounge room with some toys, and I would crash out on the couch for a bit until I felt more human. He's still an early riser at 6yo, but now at least it is more like 5am, and he is capable of getting himself food/drink and flicking on the telly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi E&S

DS is also waking at sparrow's fart every morning. Have just tried moving him to one nap a day. The last two days he only had one nap, still woke at 4 and demanded boobs but then went back to sleep.

Don't want to jinx myself, but maybe cutting down on day sleep might help? Maybe he's ready for one nap? Does he settle easily for his second nap?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (21-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's going to bed at 7pm, I tried later but it made no difference and he was so miserable being kept awake. He won't play happily by himself, he has to be right next to me and is on off the boob until after breakfast, which is at 7am after his sister wakes up. He's happy to wait for breakfast as long as he has free access to the boon, which is fine.

I'm just finding myself so drained by lunchtime, the day feels so much longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't tried dropping him to one day sleep yet, I'll give that a go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try dropping him to one day sleep but alternatively he could be about to hit a big milestone. All of my kids have had trouble 'switching off' when they are about to hit a big milestone..it's a few weeks of lack of sleep and then they master their milestone and things go back to normal. The fact that he's tired and miserable all day suggests to me that he isn't going to be one of those people who are seriously early risers their whole life (an old neighbour of ours was one of those...he'd go to bed at 10 or 11pm and be up by 4am every single day. He also had a cold shower every morning...even in winter! Crazy!!!)