+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have been induced 4 times and had no problems at all ..........

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Yes I am deff leaving my bubs to come naturally. Unless there is a great medical reason for me to be induced. I am gonna avoid it like the plague. I wont have an ob push me to get an induction at 42 weeks because bubs is "full term" and needs to come out just because I hit 42 weeks. If the placenta is fine, the baby is fine and I am fine. Then I will tell that ob where to stick it. I am just so scared of obs bullying me to do something that is so unnessacery. I am currently looking for an independent midwife who will make sure they honour my birth plan and if they dont then I will just go somewhere else. My faince is currently against home birth because he is studying to become a doctor so I am meeting him in the middle I will be going to a birth center that is located at our local hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's good that you're making strong decisions for yourself. Just make sure you know the pros and cons of syntocinon, as well as the pros and cons of letting the baby go over 42 weeks. I remember being pregnant with my first with all these plans so that the birth would be perfect. Just remember that the birth is only a fraction of the rest of your child's life :-)

Best of luck and know you have plenty of support whatever your decision may be :-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Arusaamatus For This Useful Post:

Cue  (21-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks hun. Hope to hear from other people and their experiences please.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    For me being induced was awful and I'm pretty sure a few hours before my csection I was being pushed with the synto so much harder than they needed to to 'cut to the chase' so they could do a 5 o'clock finish or csection.

And in theatre the surgery team were 'joking' together about the fact of I think they said 8 women birthing that day, all of them ended up with a csection.

This is at a hospital where policy was to start an induction at 41+2 across the board and they chuck a major tanty if you don't comply with them (as my SIL found out when she said no, she'll be induced at 42 weeks. They were absolutely awful to her. She fortunately went into labour naturally at 41+1. But she had no intention of turning up to the induction they had booked for her without her actually agreeing to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think Tam outlined most if the risks. It is fairly common for baby to go into distress due to the contractions being so hard and fast, and also to need a c/s just because it won't happen, sometimes if your body isn't ready, it just doesn't work.

I was induced at 40+10, I had actually had a trickle of water just as the midwife was preparing to insert the gel, so I think my body was getting ready anyway. I had a positive experience but would never choose to be be induced again- the contractions are SO full on, SO quickly. Our bodies are designed so beautifully to work with the pain by providing some relief in the form of hormones etc, when it's happening as fast as it does in induction, and with synthetic hormones, it's hard for the body to keep up and I think you miss out on some of that natural pain relief.

Also I remember reading somewhere that using synthetic oxytocin (synto or pitocin), even in third stage of labour, that it blocks the release of natural oxytocin which is the 'love drug' and responsible for facilitating bonding
    Last edited by Annabella; 21-12-2011 at 06:31.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have much info about the medical risks etc but I have my own story to add. I was given synto with my DS but I had already gone into labour. I had been in labour all day and things were not progressing. My obs suggested that I have the synto to get things moving as my bub was already having some issues with his heart rate dropping a bit with each contraction. He was posterier too.

The synto definitely ramped up the contractions. I had been coping with the gas up until that point but after that I asked for an epi as it was too much for me. Don't know if I would have had the epi anyway of course, and I hadn't ruled it out as an option for my labour in any case.

I delivered DS with no problems after that, so in my case there weren't any other ill effects of having the synto.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With a natural labour, there is interaction between baby & mum. Mum contracts and receives feedback about how baby is doing. The oxytocin that is released naturally is influenced by baby- baby's position, reaction to contractions etc.

When syntocin is given from outside Mum's baby, the rate is determined by how the machine is programmed- it doesn't react to how baby is doing, and when baby needs a break.

The syntocin can be pushing bub down before they have a chance to get in optimal position for birthing, making birthing more difficult for baby and Mum.

This can cause baby to 'be in distress', mum to find it hard to manage the pain and increase the chances of further intervention.