+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is she really hungry?

I need some help please My DD, 8 wks old is wanting to feed or screams the house down every night! We are talking 4 -6 hours of continuious feeding or we get screaming from 4 -5 pm. Now I know NB will cluster feed but this is every night for the past 4 -5 wks.

I have VERY sore nipples, that are inverted and flat. I stopped BF DD1 at 1.5 weeks due to cracked and bleeding nipples... LC at the time didn't mention the nipple issue. I have seen a LC x 2 this time due to the crazy amount of pain I was in ( I would almost passout at almost every feed due to the pain) I have been on antibiotics due to an infection in my red yucky nipples for two weeks, one week ago. She wont have a bar of nipple shields so I have been grining and bearing the pain. But I am dreading the Christmas/ NYE with the in- laws. And I feel bad when she cries but how can she still be hungry?
    I don't know how much longer I can do this. Please help me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am sorry to tell you that cluster feeding can last up to 6 or 7 mths as was the case with my bub. They feed lots in the evening to stretch out overnight. My bub fed from 4-8pm most evenings... every flipping night till 12weeks and then every second or so night.

Other than Lanisoh (sp) which was God's gift - it fixed my nipples in less than a week - there is not much else I can help you with.

You sure you got your attachment right? I have flat nipples (flat-ish) and the attachment is important...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was failing to read DS2's (6weeks) tired signs and was feeding him for hours in the late afternoon/evening.

I was thinking his crying/whinging was hunger but in fact was tiredness. I found that putting him in his cot and rocking/patting him for a minute or two would put him to sleep and has worked brilliantly.

That's not to say that she's NOT hungry and isn't just cluster feeding but it might be worth a go.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    I am sorry to tell you that cluster feeding can last up to 6 or 7 mths as was the case with my bub. They feed lots in the evening to stretch out overnight.

Other than Lanisoh (sp) which was God's gift - it fixed my nipples in less than a week - there is not much else I can help you with.

You sure you got your attachment right? I have flat nipples (flat-ish) and the attachment is important...
    I agree with the above I'm afraid, both of my kids (my son who is 12 weeks is on the boob right now!) dud this, it's to ensure it will build up your supply and gave enough milk for the next day.
    It will settle down I promise, the last 2 weeks have been great as he is getting his milk quicker.
    Your baby is doing it for a reason, s/he knows what he's doing. Trust in your body to do what it's meant to.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to foggy For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD (8 wks old) does this also. She cluster feeds from about 4-8pm sometimes even up until 10 or 11! She feeds for about 10 mins and then gets unsettled soon after, so I offer her a little more and she will only feed for a min or 2 and I think "all that fussing was just for a 2min feed? I think that some of it is comfort feeding, but also that some of it is bc she is too tired to stay on for too long so she has shorter more frequent feeds.
    I too am dreading xmas with the inlaws, but I figure, just give her what she wants even if I am back and forth from the bedroom. Just gonna try to relax and enjoy the day, and if offering a feed is what will settle her, than thats what i will do.

It sounds like you are doing a great job, and I know that it must be very painful for you, but hang in there. I have heard that cabbage leaves placed in the fridge can soothe though I have never tried it myself. Also wash your nipples with warm salted water to help heal (but rinse b4 u feed). Maybe try offering EBM for a feed or 2 to help give your nipples a break until they heal?

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was the same last year at Christmas (6 weeks old).

I made the decision (after checking it was ok with FIL) that I wouldn't run off to our room whenever he needed to feed - I'd have been stuck in our room all the time and would have felt left out and lonely. It was a bit embarrassing to begin with, but I covered us up with a muslin cloth and it was fine. nowadays it is just an accepted thing that I'll bf anywhere and anytime DS wants it.

Are you sure you have an infection, and not thrush? If it is thrush antibiotics could make it worse. *hugs* hope your nipples heal soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little miss does this too! Not everyday but almost! I have been feeding her for a couple of hours and then once it gets to 8 or 9 I offer her a formula top up and she drinks alot! She will then have a big sleep! Good luck! I'm sure it will end soon!

Piper Lea Dorey has entered the world! 01/11/11

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnymummy View Post
    I was failing to read DS2's (6weeks) tired signs and was feeding him for hours in the late afternoon/evening.

I was thinking his crying/whinging was hunger but in fact was tiredness. I found that putting him in his cot and rocking/patting him for a minute or two would put him to sleep and has worked brilliantly.

That's not to say that she's NOT hungry and isn't just cluster feeding but it might be worth a go.

Good luck.
    I second this ^^^

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just wanted to third ^^^^ we were doing the exact same thing and once we realised, it all changed. He now goes to bed early (and still wakes up at the same times as he did when we were feeding him heaps) instead of feeding for hours and hours every night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey guys thanks for all of your replies.x
    I have now been admitted to hospital after suffering a stroke. I BF DD from 6-11pm and DP has taken her home ( 1 hr away) with instructions to FF her ifnessersery . I could keep her with me but I can't stand or change her or attache her unassisted at this time. DP will bring her back in , in the morning. All going well. Hope they don't have to open my head!