+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default lunch-type food- fussy eater alert!

tis the season for cold lunches! and i have no idea what the hell to make for myself. i eat pretty simple food because i cook out of necessity, not out of any particular enjoyment, and i have annoying allergies and pretty limited funds. so:

i'm looking for something i don't have to cook. something i can put together cold, and take in a lunchbox if i need to. please don't suggest sandwiches, i have yet to find a bread that is free of dairy, soy and gluten. also i regard fruit as a snack, so a piece of fruit isn't lunch on its own.

any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Salad, sushi, cold rolls, gluten free crackers with tuna/salmon..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Leeee  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Ok so its a bit of work but here is what i do:

I get a chicken breast and put in in a pot with chicken stock and garlic
    Cook it and while hot i shread it and put it into a container.

In another container i cut carrot, celery, cucumber into sticks, shread some lettuce and dice some tomato. Grated cheese and a dipping sauce that i like.

I wrap all this into rice paper rolls. Two fill me for lunch but it usually lasts me a week. I am lucky there is a kitchen at work so i make it at lunch, seems fresher that way. I also put the dipping sauce in the wrap to save on mess and dishes.

Works for me but i dont know if any of this will complicate your allergies?

P.S Its cheap to. Costs me less the $20 a week and thats only if i have to buy cheese and dipping sauce!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

Leeee  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    Ok so its a bit of work but here is what i do:

I get a chicken breast and put in in a pot with chicken stock and garlic
    Cook it and while hot i shread it and put it into a container.

In another container i cut carrot, celery, cucumber into sticks, shread some lettuce and dice some tomato. Grated cheese and a dipping sauce that i like.

I wrap all this into rice paper rolls. Two fill me for lunch but it usually lasts me a week. I am lucky there is a kitchen at work so i make it at lunch, seems fresher that way. I also put the dipping sauce in the wrap to save on mess and dishes.

Works for me but i dont know if any of this will complicate your allergies?

P.S Its cheap to. Costs me less the $20 a week and thats only if i have to buy cheese and dipping sauce!
    could work if i can find rolls that i can eat.. how long do the veges last before they go off? or do they last that whole week? i wouldn't be using cheese or sauce so that's a non-issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeee View Post
    could work if i can find rolls that i can eat.. how long do the veges last before they go off? or do they last that whole week? i wouldn't be using cheese or sauce so that's a non-issue.
    I use rice paper rolls, you just wet them and they soften as you build your roll. Can you eat them? - You find them in the asian section...

I keep the vegies in a tupperware container and it keeps all week. As long as it is fresh when you buy it ( I go to a fruit and veg wholesalers, you can buy loose items there so it is cheaper)

The chicken i divide into two and put the second lot in the freezer. I am paranoid about chicken going off. On wed morning when i go into work i take it out and put it in the fridge so i know it is safe to eat all week.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

Leeee  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You get the rice paper rolls usually in the Asian section they are gf as well .. Frittata, rice noodle salad um I'll come back when I think of some more

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pmakes3 For This Useful Post:

Leeee  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    hmm asian section shall be getting a lookover next time i'm at coles lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    hmm asian section shall be getting a lookover next time i'm at coles lol
    The ones i use are in a clear bag with a purple cover. They dont tear and are really easy to use.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

Leeee  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think getting the small rice sheets was a mistake lol might get the big ones next time.
    otherwise it works quite well. going to take some practice though.

i had a thought. i could make an omelette and take it cold to work the next day, theoretically?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeee For This Useful Post:

bpac  (23-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think getting the small rice sheets was a mistake lol might get the big ones next time.
    otherwise it works quite well. going to take some practice though.

i had a thought. i could make an omelette and take it cold to work the next day, theoretically?
    A lunch lots of Japanese kids get in their obentoos is omi-rice (omelette rice). It's basically cold rice with an omelette wrapped around, served with lots of tomato sauce. I imagine the omelette is seasoned with mirin and sugar but you like your food plain, right?

How about chicken wings/drumsticks? You could do a very simple marinade/sauce.

Potato cake things? Like bubble and squeak?

Gluten free pasta with salad stuff?