+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Making friends with strangers...

Okay.. I live in a smallish town and the population has recently exploded....

Today at the post office a lovely lady and I had a brief conversation, and she was obviously not from here...

Now I'm just thinking, surely there are loads of ladies new to my town looking for friends, BUT... What is the protocol for making new friends...?

Surely you just can't ask a stranger to hang out? What do you say? How do you initiate a new friendship without that awkwardness and weirdness?

It's too late now, but I would like to know for if I ever am in that situation again!!!

Proudly brought to you by Mumma Puffins portable telecommunication device!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Could you maybe start a social group? Doesn't necessarily have to be mums group. I'm hopeless meeting new people- I am so shy and never know what to do or say.

Me + He = DD1 (2007), DD2 (2010) & BellyBaby due August 2012
    Angel Baby 1 (July 2008) & Angel Baby 2 (October 2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    If you figure it out..let me know! I am terrible at making friends and always feel awkward with strangers. I feel weird going 'hey can I get your number' or something like that!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

Atlantic Puffin  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kids are a great way to meet people too. Just ask if she wants to meet at the park or something for the kids to play, or meet for a coffee (if no kids). Sometimes you have to be the one to initiate things but it does pay off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    Could you maybe start a social group? Doesn't necessarily have to be mums group. I'm hopeless meeting new people- I am so shy and never know what to do or say.

Me + He = DD1 (2007), DD2 (2010) & BellyBaby due August 2012
    Angel Baby 1 (July 2008) & Angel Baby 2 (October 2011)
    Well I would, but then I think, if I read about a new social group, I probably wouldn't go because I don't know anyone and I'm a big chicken. Hahahaa

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AppelsAndOranjes View Post
    Kids are a great way to meet people too. Just ask if she wants to meet at the park or something for the kids to play, or meet for a coffee (if no kids). Sometimes you have to be the one to initiate things but it does pay off
    That's where I feel awkward - I don't have kids so can't use that as an excuse hahaa - I am pregnant which is what we were talking about an Xmas shopping etc but I'd feel weird going from that to "hey let's grab a coffee" kind of thing lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Start a group on Facebook perhaps? Something like "Welcoming all noob's"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My mum (59, single) makes friends with strangers regularly.

While suffering anxiety and depression, she is generally outgoing, charming, funny etc when meeting new people.

Basically she just starts up conversations with people anywhere - in a cafe, the library, on the beach. If she likes them, she will suggest they get a coffee. She doesn't know how to use a computer so it's all done in person.

Age doesn't seem to be a barrier either. One of her close friends is 40, with a 3yo (they met at the library), and some other woman she meets for coffee sometimes is in her 20s.

I would love to be able to do this, but am too shy. I think the key is not caring if people think you're forward or crazy or being inhibited.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I think the key is not caring if people think you're forward or crazy or being inhibited.
    Agreed! I dont care what people say. I just strike up a conversation, but not always end up making friends, which is fine. If I ended up friends with every person I talk to, I would have no time for myself ever again

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd say something like 'you sound like you're new in town, here's my number if you want to grab a coffee sometime.'

I've done this before and it wasn't as scary as it sounds and I made a new friend. Worst case scenario, is they think, wow, that person's friendly and then are too shy to ever follow it up.

In my case they actually said, 'oh, well I was just going for a coffee now if you wanted to join me.'

Lol, it feels so much like dating.