+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Office desk move - is this petty?

Apologies in advance to those people who are dealing with bigger issues like redundancy and discrimination, but I need to vent!

Due to renovations, our office is going through a desk move where a lot of us have to shift desks for the second time in a year. I'm normally a laidback kind of person and I try not to let the small stuff bother me, but this desk move has been seriously disorganised, corporate services have not had a plan in place and it's just been a complete shemozzle. everyone's playing musical chairs and swapping around, the desk that i am moving to will not be ready until end jan, but another guy wants to swap with me in the meantime because the rest of his team is in the same room as me and he wants to sit with them.

peoples, i DO NOT want to have to move twice (once to swap with this guy, and then again to my designated desk). my workload is really high at the moment, we are understaffed and i have major projects/deadlines on the go. it's going to be such a pain to disconnect my computer, move all my paper files, monitor, etc. everyone else in the office is busy too, but the rest of them have only had to move once, to their new designated desk, and then they can get on with their work.

i have been really accommodating so far of the new team moving into the same room as me, i have said nothing even tho it's been so noisy with people moving furniture, cleaning up junk, having meetings of 3-4 people right next to my desk (we don't have many meeting rooms due to the renovations, so there's nowhere else from them to go). i don't think my understanding/patience should stretch to moving desks twice, when i'm flat out with work!

so i've refused to move until my designated desk is ready, which will be in another month or so, and then the other guy can move into my empty desk. in the meantime, the other guy is going to bring in another empty desk so he can sit in the same room as his team, even though i haven't yet moved out. so technically everybody wins, but i feel like a bit of a princess b.tch for insisting that i don't want to move desks yet. i usually say yes to everything that everyone asks me, so i guess it's natural to feel a bit weird that i've said no. or maybe i really am petty, feel free to tell me heh heh. in any case, thanks for the vent!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it sound princess like. Just practical. If people have an issue I'm sure they'll get over it quickly. Like you said, you don't normally rock the boat.

It sounds like my work

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Naboo For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (23-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You must work for my old company!
    They LOVED the multi desk move. It drove us all mental! It would take a full day every time we had to move then just as you got settled they would change their minds and move us all again.
    Yeh, I think its princessy... but I would totally do the same! fight the power

5. The Following User Says Thank You to notquitesupermum For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (23-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hoesntly, I think its a teeny bit petty, but I can completely see where you are coming from and wish I had the guts just to say no! If it was me I would just do it... if someone else moved my equipment though! I think its a big ask for YOU to relocate they (ie corp/people services) should be doing that side of things!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Uh-Oh For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (23-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for the replies everyone! glad you can see where i'm coming from!

have a nice christmas xx