Closed Thread
Page 10 of 75 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default steroids?

Hi ladies

mum4nay - wow, you are so close now. Hope that little one allows you some precious sleep in these last few days. Sorry can't help on the fragile X thing - I don't believe I had it done. Looking forward to hearing about bub's safe arrival.

trying - how did you go today with the scan? Everything crossed that it provided clarity that all is fine. So worrying to have something like that

pinkB - how about your scan hon? Hope you're travelling well.

millie and spot - you ladies must both be about 8 weeks already. Wowee! Hope all going well for you both.

starfish - hello lovely. Like others have said, it's great that the hysteroscopy has shed light on a few internal issues. And exciting that your cycle is underway.

melk - wonderful to hear about your beautiful izzy and the joy she is bringing. Long may it last

AFM - FS called today to discuss the results of all the various tests I've had done - blood tests and the biopsy. While the biopsy didn't clearly show NKC, there were abnormalities in another type of white blood cell they've recently started testing (I think she said C163?). In addition, one of the BT results showed something that probably indicates an autoimmune issue, and my thyroid condition indicates the same thing. So piecing things together, all in all her view - and she is very definitely conservative - is that the right thing to do is go on steroids (Prednisolone presumably) before ET and then 12 weeks into the pregnancy, if that were to happen. What I wanted to ask you lovely ladies is whether any of you have taken them and what your experience has been? How did they make you feel? Did you gain weight? What were you told about risks to the foetus? Any other views to share? We have a couple of weeks to decide. FS's view also is that given everything else about us, she would have thought we would be pregnant by now, so she thinks that there is something unwelcoming about the endometrium that is preventing implantation of our lovely embies. So in that sense I think her view is that there wouldn't be much point in putting the embies back without trying something to fix the problem. Sorry for the long me-rant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Tryingfortwo I am so sorry to hear you have had more worrying info with your scan. I have come to realise how inaccurate these scans are for size – it’s pretty traumatic after all we have been thru to get preggers to have more worries on top. I hope you get some clarification with your next scan. Thinking of you!

Starfish
    So excited to hear you are off on a new cycle – let this be it for you my friend!!!

Mum4nay – 1 day to go!!!!! I can’t believe it! Hope you are feeling well and resting when you can. You are in my thoughts and looking fwd to hearing about your little boy’s arrival. I hope everything with Nathan is going well and your paed appt will give you some answers. I don’t know much about fragile X other than it can cause infertility???.

Gardenia – so glad to hear you have made it full-term with your bub. You too are in my thoughts and looking fwd to hearing about your bubs arrival. Yes, we are also going for the surprise factor with bubs sex so its v.exciting. I hope your lovely DD relishes being a big sister finally!

Slinky – Interesting about your results – it has always sounded like something more was going on with your beautiful quality embryo’s. I am glad that your FS has been so thorough. In regard to the prednisone, I took it this pregnancy. I was a little nervous as my previous FS was hugely outspoken against it. My FS assured me he & his colleagues have never had anyone with a bub with any of the claimed associated problems. Side effects for me were wakefulness at night (once pregnant though the progesterone seemed to counteract that enough for me to sleep plenty!!). Definitely weight gain/puffiness but again once pregnant the morning sickness counteracted that!! (still felt a bit puffy faced though!). I weaned off by 16 weeks. It was a pain on failed cycles going on and off it (as you have to graduate down rather than just stop) – but all worth it in the end!!!

Millie & Spot – hope all progressing along v.nicely!!!!!!!!

Melk – I tried to peek at gorgeous Izzy’s pics too – she looks like a cutie from your avatar!!

Crofty Hope all going well

AFM – 38 weeks now and feeling like a time bomb waiting to go off!!! Part of me still find this all v.surreal and can’t believe we will soon have a bub – maybe this is a side effect of TTC for so long??? Feels a bit loopy at times!!! Had a scan last week and kidney issue is looking more and more like reflux from the bladder but all will be revealed once bub has its own scan. They still had trouble measuring my amniotic fluid as bubs position doesn’t fit neatly into their quadrant system – but all OK. In terms of size they say bub has gone from 45 %ile to 85%ile in a matter of weeks – WTF???? and a head circumference now in the 95%ile - do I really want to know that?????-so many measurements were so incredibly different – its so full of error – lost my faith totally in these scans!!!! My friends organised a “baby shower” lunch for me on the weekend and instead of pressies I asked for donations to infertility research – so just liaising with FS about where to donate & he has suggested research on POF/low ov. reserve in Sydney – hopefully they keep working hard and make some great breakthroughs!!!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PinkButterfly For This Useful Post:

slinkymalinki  (13-02-2012),troppogirl  (04-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    PS: I have added an private album of 4D scan photos they did for us at the 34 week scan if ur interested to have a peek - just wanted to work out how to upload photos!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Girls,

Lots happening here:

Starf1sh - YAY for starting your cycle. I'm so excited for you Wishing you a super sticky BFP

Slinky - I was found to have a higher than normal level of NK cells and have used Prednisolone ever since with every cycle. I am still using it now and will be on it for 12 weeks of my pregnancy before slowly weaning off. You can't stop it suddenly. It does lead to weight gain and increased appetite, but after each cycle I've managed to lose most of the weight. A lot of it is bloating and fluid retention, and the benefits outweigh the negatives. I made sure I walked every day and was conscious of what I ate. A positive side effect is increased energy.

Mum4nay - You are getting so close to meeting your bub. Wishing you a short trouble free labour

T42 - I'm sceptical about the scans indicating size etc too. I have had so many friends who have been told baby is too small, baby has short limbs etc, only to give birth to 'normal' range babies. All that worry for nothing. Trust your instincts and visualise a perfect little bub

Gardenia - It sounds like your pregnancy is going really well. Wishing you both the best of health. I'm looking forward to your birth announcement

Pinkb - Those scans make you wonder. How can bub go from 45% to 85%??? Someone got it wrong earlier I think. The last scan sounds really good, and bub seems to be thriving. You only have a few weeks to go, and I hope you are resting up because you are going to be very busy soon Good luck

AFM - I'm 10 weeks this week. I have a scan and blood tests on Thursday, in the lead up to my 12.5 week scan in a few weeks (25th). I have lots of reflux, nausea etc, and am more tired than an 90yr old nanna It's so good to be UTD though and I still can't believe it. When people ask me about it, it takes a while for me to realise it's MY pregnancy they are inquiring about. I'm used to discussing everyone else's. to get to the end of the first trimester safely.

Mxo

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to milliegirl For This Useful Post:

PinkButterfly  (08-02-2012),slinkymalinki  (13-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everybody!

Sorry I have been so elusive - sort of went into my cave after the last scan just getting through day-to-day until the next one.
    We got much better news yesterday Obs told us that she was happy with the growth over the past week, and bubs' Abdominal circumference is now consistent with dates . Not sure if it was just a "positional error" or something else? He is still on the small side though, so while I passed my gestational diabetes test she wants me to do it again in two weeks and this time she wants me to do the two hour test (I did the one hour test last week and literally threw up straight after the nurse took the blood out of my arm so don't know how I will manage two hours?? ) She also wants to do an infection screen so more blood tests for that. I'm on two weekly scans from here on in as well to check on bubs' growth and development. Doppler on the cord all looked good so it seems the placenta is operating normally too. I'm 26 weeks now and every day that passes bubs' chances improve, even if I do go into labour.

Thanks everyone for your support - I tried to post a few times to thank you all but just couldn't get the words out. I tried to explain to the obs today but broke down before I could get the words out - after IVF I think you just want the baby so much, and fear that it will all be taken away from you at any moment, and when something doesn't look good you just automatically assume the worst; its like the possibility of a good outcome doesn't occur, like that's something that happens to other people, not to you. For now, at least, this miracle is still happening to me and I am so very, very grateful.

Slinky, my FS was very conservative likewise, but put me on the steroids and I think it is a big part of what made a difference for me. For my FET I was on 20mg from ovulation. What I found confusing was that different FSs have very different views on how long you need to stay on the prednisone. My FS started me phasing of it at 7 weeks pregnant (dropping 5mg every 5 days until I was off it altogether). She took the view that it was just there to facilitate implantation. Others I know are kept on it until 12 weeks, 16 weeks, and one lady right through the pregnancy (and her little girl turned out just fine). So its a bit confusing In terms of side effects I noticed it was a bit like having a cup of coffee in the morning (hmmm anyone here remember coffee???? ha ha ha) I used to split the dose and take 10mg in the morning and 10mg at night otherwise I had problems sleeping. I certainly didn't have any other major side effects of it and was on it at one point for six months straight, then weaned off it after my miscarriage and was off it completely until my FET (the one I'm pregnant with now!).

Millie, HI PREGGY LADY! (Thought I'd add myself into the mix of folks asking about your pregnancy!) Still over the moon for you. Thank you so much for your kind words, they mean a lot.

PinkB, just welled up at the thought of you asking your friends to make donations to infertility research for your shower - that is absolutely a beautiful thing to do. I am hoping and praying that your bub is just fine - did I tell you that one of my friends went through her whole pregnancy thinking bubs had only one kidney and might have all sorts of horrible problems and syndromes, only for them to 'find' it on ultrasound after he was born? Crazy.

Mum4Nay, can't believe your miracle is almost here! Thinking of you all the time, hoping for a wonderful birth experience.

Starfish, how are you finding your "three p" drug cocktail?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tryingfortwo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mum4nay, tomorrow is your due date!!! C'mon little boy time to meet the world Hope you have been getting some rest mate and all the best with Nathan's upcoming Paed appt.

PinkB, bubba is gorgeous!! What a sweet face. Is that his/her hand resting on the face in some of the pics? I love love love your idea of donating to infertility research for your baby shower. Would love to hear the details when they are available please. Did you organise this through Dr S or your prior FS? Good news again with the scan and bub's kidney but I will certainly bear the discrepancies in mind when my turn comes around, such an inexact science!

Trying, so glad to read that all was looking much better at your last scan. What a relief!

Slinky, there definitely sounds like there has been more going on with you, and I'm glad the tests have shown something to treat. I never had anything show up on any immune tests but I am still using predisolone this cycle for the 1st time. Mainly because it is part of the protocol my FS has me on but I was also keen to use to cover all bases. I am only on 10mg though so not really noticing any side effects as yet but it has cleared up my eczema which is a bonus I reckon it's worth giving it a go and it is a standard part of the colorado protocol which thousands of women have been on.

Millie, wonderful to hear you are able to relish in all those pregnancy symptoms (but trust me no-one will hold it against you if you want to complain about it down the track ) Exciting you will get to see your growing bub again on Thursday, so looking forward to following you to the end and seeing this babe safely in your arms

Spot, how are you doing??

AFM, I had my FS appt today. Firstly, it turns out the 'false passage' was likely created by my difficult transfer last time and if the embie was placed there (which FS is almost 100% it would have been) it obviously had 0% chance of implanting as it was outside the uterine cavity

I had adhesions almost covering my cervix, so only a small entrance was visible which would have made it very hard for the FS who did my last transfer to find the correct entrance. It has now been cleared (got to see the photos!) and Dr S and I have agreed the next transfer will be done under ultrasound guidance, which will hopefully help

So on one hand I am pi$$ed that a perfect grade A blast was probably wasted and I went through that 2WW for nothing but so relieved I pushed for the hysteroscopy and FS feels everything is now in tip top shape to receive the next one.

Having my first bt and scan on Friday to check what is happening with the lining I have one weekend that I am travelling out of Sydney for an important family event (24/25 Feb) and I am hoping like crazy that it isn't the weekend the transfer falls on as will either have to cancel my flights (which I really can't do) or likely defer the transfer another month, so cross your fingers for me!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starf1sh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Trying42, sorry love I think I was writing my post as you posted yours so did not get to read your full update. I stalked you on the graduates thread to see your original news I think I am going to hereby refer to you as "Having2" or "2ndontheway"! I do know what you mean though. If I see a pregnant woman eating Maccas & chain smoking I think... yep I'm sure you'll have a straight forward pregnancy & a perfect bub, but I am condemned to live in fear my entire pregnancy whilst living like a Tibetan monk!

I also wanted to thank you especially for so generously sharing your post D&C thoughts and experience, it really helped me to make my mind up to go ahead with the hyst which I am so grateful for.

The P protocol is going ok. Doing 75iu of Gonal-F and popping my pred and my pycnogenol. Don't start the other P, progynova till after I ovulate, but also taking cartia and clexane from day 1 (and already giving myself some shocking bruises ) but so far so good with my new super dooper protocol...we'll see!
    Last edited by Starf1sh; 08-02-2012 at 18:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    still waiting waiting... and I've lost my ticker???????????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mum4nay _ Happy Due date day!!!!!!!

Tryingfortwo - What a relief.....so glad to hear your scan went well, these scans seem very open to technical error - a millimetre here or there seems to make a massive difference. I hope your further tests come back all clear and you can relax a bit as you approach that 30 week milestone. Has your Bp and was it oedema? stayed OK? Wow - amazing story about your friends bub - missing a kidney sounds dramatic!!

Starfish - so glad you stuck to your guns!!! You are incredibly gracious in the face of all you have been through, it must be so incredibly frustrating (to say the least!!!) to know about your last transfer. I am glad they will use ultrasound guidance, I often wonder why they don't for all transfers - after all the science that bit seems so crude / unscientific IYKWIM. Yes, organising the donation thru Dr S, will let you know more when I know for sure. Glad you had a look at the scans - yes it is bubs hand moving around its face - it was incredible to watch it in motion making crazy facial expressions and touching its face with its hand - getting that 4D sneaky peek was the upside of having to have all these extra scans !!!!! PS: I have a confession... I am one of those pregnant ladies you see at maccas (how terrible am I ???) - with my nausea, I have that constant "hungover" feeling and crave mostly burgers and chips. Sad but true!!!

Millie - glad to hear ur doing well, you sound v.pregnant with all your symptoms!!! Good luck for your upcoming scan!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkButterfly View Post
    PS: I have a confession... I am one of those pregnant ladies you see at maccas (how terrible am I ???) - with my nausea, I have that constant "hungover" feeling and crave mostly burgers and chips. Sad but true!!
    Ok, that was probably a bad analogy, although I'm fairly confident you are not chain smoking whilst you are hanging out at Macca's! Apologies to any women suffering horrible MS that is only alleviated by fast food!
    Last edited by Starf1sh; 08-02-2012 at 21:04.