+ Reply to Thread
    MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Castor Oil, Did it work for you, and did your waters have meconium?

I'm just doing some research re: the effectiveness of castor oil & bringing on labour.

There are very mixed results, and from what I can tell, It generally only works if you are already overdue (not like me who is only 38+3)

There are comments out there on the interwebz about meconium in the waters, as bubs digests what you digest...

I have searched and searched and can't find any actual studies or true stories about this and unless I can hear a true story or find proof I will file it away under 'scare tactic'.

Soo.... Two part thread

Did castor oil work for you? How many w+d were you?

Did you try castor oil & it did/didn't work & did you have meconium in the waters?

TIA for your replies

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would never try it.

My friend became seriously ill and very dehydrated due to excessive diorrrhea following it. Then she went into labour (probably would have anyway), but she was too sick and exhausted to give birth and ended up having a c-section Out of all 'natural' inductions, it's one I would never contemplate.

Maybe look into acupuncture/acupressure?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used it and it didn't work. I was 41w when I used it and all it did was clean me out. I didnt use heaps of it like some websites reccommended as I was scared of it working and putting me into labour and having diorrhea at the same time. But I didnt end up going into labour or having any diorrhea.

I ended up being induced at 41+2 and no meconium in my waters.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Bubhub
    Last edited by twolittlemunchkins; 20-12-2011 at 10:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I tried it at about 40+5 (had double the dose), i tried again at 40+6 (double the dose) then again that night. It didnt have any effect on me whatsoever.

DS1 was born at 41+2 (spontaneous labour, not associated with the Castor oil) with NO meconium.

I wouldnt ever try it again

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for your replies.

I'm not sure if I want to try it! I have just been trying to express colostrum and walking etc (and clary sage) Nothing is working... but I'm only 38w so I don't expect it to!

I'm secretly praying my waters break so there's no guessing!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My sister used it when she was 9 days overdue and she went into labour a few hours later, her waters were stained with meconium. So it worked for her but it was definitley not something she would ever do again. I never considered doing it because of my sister's (and a few other's experiences) even though i went 6 days overdue

I would definitley keep doing what you're doing and maybe book in for some accupunture lol Good luck I hope its not too long before Bubba comes!!!!!!
    Last edited by Purple Lily; 20-12-2011 at 17:24.